Ubuntu help please?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu help please?

I am putting together a system for a guy at work who is using a mix of new and some lightly used parts..

The hard drive he wants to use had Ubuntu 10.04 or something on it..but I need to get rid of that and load Win7..

Can one of you linux pro's point me in the easiest direction?

He ordered a 3-pack of win7 "upgrade" disks that have not come in yet, but I have everyrthing else and wanted to have the drive formatted and ready to load when the win7 disk got to me..

Sorry if this is an utter newb question..

I asked at the ubuntu forum and got a myriad of responses..from "just put int he windows DVD" to having to run something called "gparted" to wipe the drive, which I find is a linux app that has to run on a linux box (imagine that) that I do not have..

Thanks fellas..

Re: Ubuntu help please?

I'm not experienced all too much in Linux (never saw an explicit need to use it and give myself the headache) but you should be able to reformat the drive within the BIOS. If that's somehow not possible, make sure the boot order puts the DVD drive first and just have the Win7 disk do the reformat. Unless it's an absurdly bad drive, it really doesn't take that long.

Comment

So it is as easy as putting in the Win7 disk..?

In times past I had terrible trouble getting rid of a partition that was "non-windows" and it took a LOT of effort to delete the partition and reclaim use of the entire disk capacity..that has been a while, and myself only having used the win7 beta, am not familiar with a "clean install" of a retail version..I am still a sad panda that the beta went **poof**..!! :(

Maybe I should just wait until he gets me the disk and try it..who knows..Win7 might just make it very easy indeed..I sure hope so!

Comment

Yes, the Windows DVD will have it's own built-in format utility (actually, it'll show you the drive partitions. You select the one you want to use and click "Format...". Once that's done, select it again and "Install to..."). It's that simple.

Now I'm not sure why the guy bought "upgrades" disks. They're no use to you if the computers you're installing on didn't have Vista on them already. You need to use System Builder DVDs (aka OEM). Upgrade versions are only for those with systems that already have Vista installed on them and want to upgrade to Win7 (or clean install to Win7, but still needs to have Vista already on the drive).
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

to install win 7 in your situation:

1) put in win7 upgrade disk.
          2) use disk to format drive (you get to this option by choosing custom install).
          3) install win 7. (DO NOT ENTER KEY CODE)
          4) once you are at the desktop, click the pearl (Start button) -> computer -> c:\. create a new folder and rename it windows.old
          5) enter the registration code and activate windows.

(the windows.old folder is where windows puts all the files from an older version of windows that cannot be upgraded by the setup process. Setup / activation only looks for the presence of the folder, not the contents as the contents are no longer needed in any way by the os.)

this is how to get a clean install from an upgrade disk. I am going to assume that there is a copy of windoes XP laying around somewhere (you technically need a keycode - which is on the COA sticker, the EULA -which is on the install media, AND the media to be a legal copy of XP) that you are "upgrading" from.

If you try to install an upgrade media on a freshly formatted dive without using this method, the install will not allow you to continue past the key code screen.

there is also the way of installing without a keycode, then starting the setup process again from within windows. this shows the install process that there was a compatible version of windows previously installed... this way takes much longer, but is GUARANTEED to install and activate.
          Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
          The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

You really don't need an old Windows installation to install an upgrade version. It does require a registry hack and some fiddling around but you do end up with a clean, validated install. Here are the instructions:

http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/cle...rade_media.asp
            sigpic

Comment

wow..!

Thanks fellas..! I appreciate the info..!

Now I have another question..

Let's say that he was upgrading from XP Pro..

If I just put the disk in to that machine and do the upgrade per instructions, will Microsoft kill off the license from the XP install..?

I guess to rephrase that, would he lose the ability to use that XP that he had if he wanted to install it on a different system?

Comment

that leads me to another stupid question..

could a person take a new, fresh formatted drive, put it in an external usb setup, plug it in, create the c:/windows.old folder on it, then install it into a new box, and then also use one of these MUCH cheaper "upgrade" disks and still have it guarantee to activate..?

Comment

by the way..the disks just delivered via UPS to me..

here is what he bought...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832116775

but he had a promo code that got these for him for $133 with free shipping..

$133 for a STINKING 3-PACK..!! Now that is a good freakin deal eh?

Comment

Originally posted by birdie_in_Texas View Post
                    wow..!

Thanks fellas..! I appreciate the info..!

Now I have another question..

Let's say that he was upgrading from XP Pro..

If I just put the disk in to that machine and do the upgrade per instructions, will Microsoft kill off the license from the XP install..?

I guess to rephrase that, would he lose the ability to use that XP that he had if he wanted to install it on a different system?
                    Yes as that XP license key has been freed up.

Originally posted by birdie_in_Texas View Post
                    that leads me to another stupid question..

could a person take a new, fresh formatted drive, put it in an external usb setup, plug it in, create the c:/windows.old folder on it, then install it into a new box, and then also use one of these MUCH cheaper "upgrade" disks and still have it guarantee to activate..?
                    ??? Say that again?
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Answered my own question last night..

I created a folder on a newly qiped and formatted drive called c:\windows.old and then put it in a machine and installed win7 to it and as soon as it got online it activated perfectly..

So you can use an "upgrade" disk to install full version on a "clean" drive. At least it worked for me last night..

They guy let me have the other 2 licenses for myself for doing the work for him! So now to migrate my big gamer box to win7..!! w00t..!

Comment

And also, the win7 disk did not care anything about the ubuntu partition on the guys drive..it wiped it with no problem and then before the process got anything done, I stopped, created the "c:\windows.old folder on the drive and then restarted the install and it also installed fine and activated fine..

Comment

For future reference, GParted is a live CD. You put it in, and it'll run on its own and allow you to delete, create, move, etc. partitions on your hard drive. Its a pretty easy way to get an old drive setup for a new install.

Comment

sweet! thanks Anospa! :)

Comment

first, let me say... LEGALLY, no. the XP license is now part of the 7 license. they are locked together as long a 7 is installed. You must retain the xp COA, keycode, and install media AS WELL AS all those for windows 7 to have a legal upgrade. You must LEGALLY have a valid qualifying OS for each copy of the upgrade you install...

but, yes, the validation process does not tie the two keycodes together, so the key COULD be used again.

Also, I never thought of putting the windows.old folder on the drive first... I guess it doesn't matter when you do it, as long as you don't enter the keycode until after you do it. (windows vista and 7 allow you to complete the install without the keycode and add it in later... so it can be done up to 30 days after install.)
                              Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                              The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X