Chinook Good. You, not as good.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chinook Good. You, not as good.

This was posted over on GR.Net's Military forum. There's been some discussion over whether it's real or not. If it's real, then that pilot is one awesome pilot. :)

[volun]

Ahh crap! I meant to put this in the Pictures and Screenshots forum! Sorry guys. Any admin want to move it for me?
    [volun]

Comment

Very cool! I bet Harntrox could get that to work in HX6! :D
      New to TG?

Comment

It looks like with where the rear wheel placement is, either the pic is doctored, or that pilot is very good, and barely has any weight on the roof...otherwise, that porch is kaput !

Comment

It's fake... What kind of bonfire would stay neatly burning with a downdraft like that?
          Become a supporting member!
          Buy a Tactical Duck!
          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

It's not neatly burning. In fact, if you look closely it's got VERY little flame, it's just red hot coals. There are also bright colored coals flashing away from the fire neat the middle visible support column.
            Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

No...

The pic is real. As a crewchief in the USMC from 96-2000, I flew over 380 hours in the CH-46E Seaknight and have over 13 of the "landings" you see there under my belt. They are High Ridge Dismounts or HRD-landings. What you don't see is the crewchief on the starboard side of the AC talking the pilots down onto the rear mains. They then hold a hover and blow the ramp and hatch to dismount the troops.

This is how you deploy Marines, Soldiers onto a high mountian top or ridgeline. Also, right under the Helo it is suprisingly calm, as a helo does not hover by producing "downwash thrust." A helicopter hovers simply because of the aerodynamic lift garnered from the simple fact that the blades are "flying" at about 500+ mph. Rotors are nothing more than airfoils...they produce lift when driven forward, as a wing does.

Yes, the fire is still burning. You only really feel downwash from a helo when it's coming near you and then it's busting the "ground effect bubble" an area about 200 feet above SOLID ground where the flaring of the helo to come into a hover produces some downward thrust.

It's as simple as this...if helicopters hovered only by being in ground effect (pushing air toward the ground) then why can they hover at 10,000 feet???

It's a mountian top, the air is thinner, we don't know what altitude they're at, the pilot was already in a hover before even coming near the building, the weight of the wheels on the structure is probably less than 300lbs since the majority of it's weight is still flying. The pic is real. Good flight crew though.

The best part about HRD landings is the "takeoff." After holding the helo in a hover out of ground effect, the engines are understandibly a bit onthe warm side. So after the dismount, the pilot will come up a little, fly forward down the face of the ridge and then just let the bird drop toward the deck at about 130Kts. Now THATS one hell of a ride!!! ;)

This is a video of the type of helo I crewed in. I knew the crewchief on this bird. It's one hell of a nasty accident.

http://www.aviationexplorer.com/movies/AirplaneSeaKnight.mpg

Comment

Originally posted by Spectre
                Also, right under the Helo it is suprisingly calm,
                BS. I've been in the field when a-holes like you notice a bivy of groundpounders at 0200. I've had 46's and 53's hovering over my sleeping bag. The sandstorm produced by a helo hovering twenty feet above you is NOT "surprisingly calm"...

BTW, I don't think anyone here mentioned that a helo lifts by using "downward thrust"...

And looking closer, you're right about the embers, Apo...
                Become a supporting member!
                Buy a Tactical Duck!
                Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

This is a video of the type of helo I crewed in. I knew the crewchief on this bird. It's one hell of a nasty accident.
                  Jeez!! Was everyone ok?!?!
                  [volun]

Comment

Actually if you all look at the pic close you will see the fire is not burning. It is hot embers (sp?) and you can see them flying off the sides
                    WARNING: DO NOT LET DR. MARIO TOUCH YOUR GENITALS. HE IS NOT A REAL DOCTOR.

Comment

Another post in the GR.Net thread shows this. It looks like the same scene with the helo in a different spot. Interesting.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

It's real.

Same scenario when the last folks were evacuted from the US embassy in vietnam... ch47 ****hook pilots are trained to do this stuff.. :)

Comment

the trees are calm cause its a still photo, :)

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
                            Originally posted by Spectre
                            Also, right under the Helo it is suprisingly calm,
                            BS. I've been in the field when a-holes like you notice a bivy of groundpounders at 0200. I've had 46's and 53's hovering over my sleeping bag. The sandstorm produced by a helo hovering twenty feet above you is NOT "surprisingly calm"...

BTW, I don't think anyone here mentioned that a helo lifts by using "downward thrust"...

And looking closer, you're right about the embers, Apo...
                            It's calm compared to about 50 feet away from the bird in hover. 50 feet away or more the downwash can knock a man off his feet and onto his 4th point of contact.

Comment

Originally posted by H-Hour
                              Jeez!! Was everyone ok?!?!
                              No...the AO/AG (Aerial Observer/Aerial Gunner) was killed and the copilot was severely injured. (Brain damage from drowning)

The Crewchief was Cpl. Claskin of Long Beach, CA. I went to A-school with him in New River, NC in 1997.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X