Anybody want to see the inside?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody want to see the inside?

Of a Chrysler 3 speed automatic transmission?

This is what I do when I'm not playing BF2. I work on Chrysler transmissions. Mainly because in the performance field, no one gives the automatic transmission a thought. So in my little startup business I've decided to focus a lot of my time and energy on figuring these things out. And since I have friends in the transmission business its easy for me to work on these expensive machines and build them relatively cheap.

http://www.myneonspeed.com/gallery1/album91
    This link shows some of the pictures of when I took a high performance differential for a 5 speed Chrysler transmission and stuffed it into a Chrysler 3 speed automatic. Some of the pictures got lost during a computer crash, so not all of the info is there.

And this second link shows my latest venture.
    http://www.myneonspeed.com/gallery1/A670-HybridTeardown

I'm taking a Dodge Neon 3 speed transmission and rebuilding it for turbo use. The Neon uses whats known as torque converter lock-up. It takes the torque converter and locks it to the engine so that you don't get transmission slip above 40 mph. I'm removing it completely for turbo. So, basically, I'm building a hybrid. It'll be a Neon transmission with no lockup feature, it'll have a hgh stall torque converter from a nother Chrysler transmission (turbo transmission) and it won't be an automatic per se. I'm going with a full manual valve body (the valve body is what controls the shifts), the valve body I'm using is basically an empty shell with no valves in it. Which means it won't control shifts, I manually have to move the selector into the gear I want the car in.

With that setup, I'll be running a manual computer instead of an automatic computer.

I didn't post pics cause there are so many pictures. But, I thought it might be kind of cool to show some of you what I do when I'm not playing BF2.

[volun][drill]
    I'm cannon fodder.

Re: Anybody want to see the inside?

Twisted. I've often wondered just how hard it is to disassemble and reassemble a tranny. I know people pay large amounts of money to get them repaired.

I went as far as removing mine and replacing the flywheel (there may be another name... ring gear?) on my old beater Sentra when I was a starving student, and that was a tough job. It was particularly tough when I needed to be able to drive the thing again the next day.
    Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Re: Anybody want to see the inside?

Theres a large intimidation factor that automatic transmissions had because there are a lot of moving parts. They're not too terrible to take apart or reassemble, there are however a lot of small parts and a lot of time invested to rebuild and disassemble an automatic transmission.

Typical rebuild for an A670 (which is what type of transmission this one is) is around $2000. Parts for it are incredibly cheap. I think the most expensive part is replacement of a clutch pack (just the drum) is around $100. But the nice thing is its only the small parts you ahve to really replace as the larger hard parts can be reused after they've been cleaned provided there are no dings, scratches, chunks missing out of them. What makes the whole job expensive is the labor involved to remove it from the car, disassemble it and then put it all back together. I could build someone the same type of setup but I'd charge a minimum of $1k and thats just to build it. I wouldn't install it. I do a lot of performance modifications.

The ring gear is inside the transmission and is connected to the differential. You had the correct term, the flywheel is what is bolted to the back of the engine and the clutch mounts to that.

This build I'm doing is actually pretty simple because I'm removing a lot of parts my particular setup isn't going to use such as the governor, the accumulator a lot of the valving inside the valve body. I'm even going so far as to add more clutches to the drums possibly. This thing has actually been apart on my workbench for 3 months. I haven't even started putting it back together yet; mainly because I'm still in the process of cleaning the parts.

[volun][drill]
      I'm cannon fodder.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...