Far Cry - Glory Shots [big pics]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Far Cry - Glory Shots [big pics]

I decided to take a bunch of screenshots of Far Cry to show off what the engine is capable of doing.

The framerates are pretty good. This was taken at 1024x768 with most options at medium with some at high. AA is at 4x and AF is at 4x. The framerates are pretty decent. Sometimes it freezes a bit during the beginning of firefights.

The high tech CryVision goggles that seem to be a mix of NV and thermal goggles. They're important later on when some of the bad guys are transparent. You can kind of see them without the goggles but it's tough.

The dynamic lighting is absolutely fantastic. I jumped up and knocked the lamp to see the way the environment is affected by the light.

The water in this game is beautiful. You get reflections and distortion!

The in game cutscenes are pretty good looking too!

Breakable glass. It's got to be standard in games these days. What's cool about this is the reflection, bullet holes and transparency!

Breakable glass, baby!!

Last edited by =Sarc=; 03-22-2004, 08:10 PM.

- It's who you game with.

Re: Far Cry - Glory Shots [big pics]

What are the indoor areas like? So far I have only seen stuff that is very Halo-like in that the outdoors are beautiful, but tactically limited, while the indoor areas are just a series of halls and very simple rooms.

Will this game be moddable, both in graphics and functions? How do you think the TvT element will play out?

It looks like this game might have a possibility for some very cool, LONG coop missions, with objectives spanning several islands and a lot of trekking to do. Any idea if this will be possible? Also, what about the interplay of different roles within a squad?

How many more questions do I get before you cut me off?
    [volun]

Comment

This game is much better than Halo's graphics. The default renderer makes things look cartoonish but with the "Cold" renderer, set in the graphics options, everything has a much more realistic look. It basically makes things less saturated.

Indoors is just as beautiful as outdoors. I couldn't take any good screenshots of the blur effects so you'll have to take my word for it. There are broken steam valves or fires that has that blur effect like in real life. The rooms and hallways are quite simple for the most part but there are crates, barrels and other assorted objects that can be bumped around. Some areas are quite complex with varying lighting, catwalks and air duct systems. I haven't really checked all the MP maps out so I don't know how they built the indoor stuff for that kind of gameplay.

The game is moddable out of the box. It includes an editor that is fully functional for making maps. It's similar to UnrealEd in design. So you could model stuff in 3DSM or Maya then import it into the editor. I think it supports Max's file format so you don't even have to convert the model. There are LUA scripting files that should just about do anything. I think they are similar to the CON files in BF1942. The big thing about the editor is its supposed real-time testing. You can build your level and test it out at any time by the click of a button. You can place bad guys and jump in to see how they react to you.

Co-op should be possible but will probably have to be modded into the game. It doesn't ship with co-op mode. The missions are similar to Doom or Half-Life where you go around killing stuff with occasional weird monsters. Right now, MP has Assault (kind of like taking and defending bases), team deathmatch and free-for-all. Assault is the only thing I'm interested in trying out, the rest is not up to TG standards.

Co-op would be awesome with this game if modders do it. There are boats, vehicles, and hang gliders that I know of so far. It's definitely possible to create a mission with a beach landing assault, a drive to the enemy base then take over the base on foot. A modder just has to create it.

Comment

Sounds pretty good. I hate that games aren't shipping with Coop anymore.

It'd be interesting to take a look at the modding tools. I imagine something between CTI (or what I've heard of it) and GR-style missions with specific infiltration/extraction objectives. Kind of like a mission that's an hour or two long, but where you don't have to cross the same freakin patch of 400mx400m ground. No more, "How can I place the objectives so the player has to crawl all over the freakin' map". :)
        [volun]

Comment

There was a video a long time ago that showed off the editor. They did things like displace terrain, drop bad guys in and then test it out right away (no load times). Some other cool stuff they did was place jeeps on top of each other. The game would start and the jeeps fell on each other.

It kind of sucks that it doesn't come with co-op but if you played SP, you'd realize why they didn't add it in. It would be fun but the gameplay isn't really mission-oriented. Every mission so far is get to some place and how you get there is up to you. Hopefully, it won't be hard for modders to create some awesome co-op missions.

Comment

I have played the demo of it and outdors are really beautiful.. I find myself not liking how the whole map cannot be explored coz the game is pushing you into a certain direction of movement.. usually toward the choke points. Hence I never made it inside but graphically the game is stunning tho enemies move somewhat funny. I think I like the fact that when youare close and enemies are after youthey talk as to how to get to kill you so you hear where they are moving..

nice game, never made it to the indoors but soon I hope I shall see that too.

Comment

i dopnt know monsters and goblins... not my cup of tea...

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

Originally posted by Revan
                I have played the demo of it and outdors are really beautiful.. I find myself not liking how the whole map cannot be explored coz the game is pushing you into a certain direction of movement.. usually toward the choke points. Hence I never made it inside but graphically the game is stunning tho enemies move somewhat funny. I think I like the fact that when youare close and enemies are after youthey talk as to how to get to kill you so you hear where they are moving..

nice game, never made it to the indoors but soon I hope I shall see that too.
                Well, the game has objectives where you have to go to a certain area. If you don't go there, there's no point to the game. There are several routes to places though. You're not restricted to one route all the time. The indoor areas are more restricted but outdoors it's almost no holds barred. I actually got lost on one level because it was wide open to where you could go. I was so off path that I had to reload a save because I didn't want to walk back.

Originally posted by DudeMan
                i dopnt know monsters and goblins... not my cup of tea...
                There are some monsters but there are also elite soldiers hunting the monsters and they'll shoot you too. It's a decent SP story. The enjoyment comes from the graphics and the MP could be really interesting with the large environments and varied vehicles. A lot of times I don't know where bad guys are because there's so much foilage. You might see some movement through leaves but most of the time you have to scout from a distance or you'll bump into a soldier.

Comment

H.. the modding tool is INSANE... totally cut-n-paste-n-drag-n-drop-wysiwyg style.... Very fast, very intuiitive, no load times to test.
                  ++++++++++++++

Sarc- Great screenies man, I love the giant ani-gif...

The Storm sky looks incredible.... Have you played in any rain yet? (hows that look?)

Are the save-points the same as the demo? How about a crouch-toggel button?

++++++++++++

revan-I think the demo was using the terrain to force you into areas, full version should let you wander anywhere you wish.

Comment

The level in the demo was pretty much the same in retail. I didn't try going around the island but there really isn't a point since you'd have to get from that side to the radar installation. You get a better understanding of what to do when you play the level before that. It's still an open level. You start near a dock but you don't have to land there. It's possible to land closer to the bottom of the hill but you wouldn't get to stock up on weapons unless you cleared the area.

I haven't played any rain levels yet. I'll have to check out the MP maps to see if it rains in any of them. So far, it's been day then night. The story hasn't progressed very far time-wise. The save points are pretty good. It just saves at critical areas like just before you walk into the enemy base. It does about 5 saves per map so if you screw up you won't have to redo much. I don't think there are quick saves but maybe it's possible with some editing. The crouch toggle doesn't seem to exist although I'm not going to bother trying to figure it out. I don't know why prone is a toggle and crouch isn't. Somebody coded that on a Friday afternoon before a long weekend.

The second last screenie was a freaky one. I was confused for about five seconds before realizing that there is a bad guy in front of me. I hadn't actually destroyed the pane of glass on the left, shown by my full 10 shots in the shotgun. Then the other pane broke and this blurry transparent thing came at me. I switched to CryVision and found somebody in front of me on thermals.

Here's another shot. You don't see it very well because of the refracting water in the background but there's an invisible baddie in front of me. The threat indicator on the lower left is on full so that bugger is in my face! I thought I took another shot with CryVision on to show you guys but I guess I didn't press the key hard enough. There was a zombie like monster in front of me at the time! Oh, notice the floating bodies of the hooligans I killed a few moments ago.

Comment

wow..... I can see it... I think....

That must be intense....

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse