X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iraq pic from last year

This is a hell of a shot I just saw on www.michaelyon-online.com

Re: Iraq pic from last year

Cool pic...the soldiers looked pumped;) I have never heard of Michael Yon before. It is a pretty cool website.
    "Dirtboy is super awesome, and chicks dig him too!"- Everyone

Comment

Pumped? They look bored as hell to me......Wait, youre right! The sleeping guy on the left is gonna go crazy any second! LOL

Not a bad pic though, I can imagine that with the intensity of patrols/firefights downtime is a much needed thing.

Comment

Originally posted by freekyE View Post
        Pumped? They look bored as hell to me......Wait, youre right! The sleeping guy on the left is gonna go crazy any second! LOL

Not a bad pic though, I can imagine that with the intensity of patrols/firefights downtime is a much needed thing.
        He's not sleeping, he's reading the letter from his wife. For the 167th time. And he's not bored, either.

Not to cut you down or anything, but your post illustrates the enormous disconnect between the civilian world and the military one.
        Become a supporting member!
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

167th time? I don't see any description anywhere as to what the soldiers are doing in the pic. And even if he is reading a letter form his wife, how do you know he STILL isn't bored? LOL
          Then again I didn't really see anything on his site that "drew me in" as an artist, so I didn't spend too much time there before posting. Honestly Ive seen better compositions in a high school art show. (subject matter notwithstanding)

Yup, there is a huge disconnect between me and a trained soldier. You can tell anytime I'm near my father (Who was never even in combat). But, I am proud to be a civilian and without me and my ilk to pay taxes the soldiers would be fighting with rocks and sharp sticks. (sharpening cost is out of pocket)

I'm trying to be a little light hearted here if you cant tell, but in that, these are my opinions. If you love these prints, fantastic! You should buy one and support the artist, 'cause "starving artist" isn't just a colorful euphemism.

Comment

I'm trying to be a little light hearted here if you cant tell, but in that, these are my opinions.
            Sure, but perhaps, outside of the Sandbox, you could be a bit less antagonistic when dealing with subjects that people are passionate about?

If someone had posted pictures of their wedding, you wouldn't talk about how bored the bride looked, would you?

And even if he is reading a letter form his wife, how do you know he STILL isn't bored? LOL
            This is just plain ignorant. I'm trying to refrain from saying how I feel, but you're making it difficult. Please show a little respect for the people that ensure you have a free country to which you can pay your taxes.
            Buy a Tactical Duck!
            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

Maybe you could stay on topic and tell me why you like this particular photo so much that you would accost me for not liking it....(He's DIFFERENT! GET HIM!!!)

The whole "dont say anything if you can say something nice" thing doesnt work in art. Id rather be surrounded by people who disliked my art than "nice" people.
              You never grow as an artist if you dont hear the dissenters.....and this guy needs to realize that there is more than one shade of grey, his depth of field is crap and how to compose the borders and compositions of his photos. The guy gets a "C" for having the gonads to go to Iraq.

Im ignorant for saying someone looks bored? What if I said the guy in the middle looks like he doesnt like to get his picture taken? Or that the kid on the right is trying to look WAY too cool in his aviator shades?

If told that guy he looked bored hed just say"yeah, I was." or "Nah, i was just concentrating on reading a letter." I really doubt anyone I know (soldier or civvy) would get nearly as indignant as you about it.

jeez.........

Comment

If told that guy he looked bored hed just say"yeah, I was." or "Nah, i was just concentrating on reading a letter." I really doubt anyone I know (soldier or civvy) would get nearly as indignant as you about it.

jeez.........
                Perhaps you're right...

I must be coming across as MUCH more indignant than I intend, and I'm sure you're coming across as much more of a jerk than you actually are...
                Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

FYI gang there may be a little background to that photo that will help give some context.

Those men are from a Stryker brigade stationed in Mosul with whom the photographer was embedded. You can read about them at http://www.michaelyon-online.com/wp/gates-of-fire.htm

There are other stories about their tour at the site but that's a great start.

Anyway, I like seeing them relaxed, with no weapons in sight, because it shows me they are safe. The soldier standing and looking directly at the camera looks to me like he's seen some rough times recently.

So no, it's not a work of art, but I like it a lot nonetheless. No need to fight about it. No need to joke about it either. Like the sign says at the entrance to the Alamo: "Be Silent, Friend. Here Heroes died to blaze a trail for other men."

Comment

I noticed the velcro on the big guy's shoulder - holding the ranger insignia... Is it true that they remove all ranks, etc from their uni's before heading out? I thought I heard that somewhere?

Comment

Originally posted by WhiskeySix View Post
                      I noticed the velcro on the big guy's shoulder - holding the ranger insignia... Is it true that they remove all ranks, etc from their uni's before heading out? I thought I heard that somewhere?
                      You often hear about pilots and SF-types doing that, but these guys wouldn't. The new uniform the army is in the process of fielding for everyone uses velcro (or should I say "hook and pile fasteners?") for almost all insignia.

Comment

I never removed any insignia, nor did any other regular infantry unit.

Once outside the wire, you COULD go ahead and remove it of your own accord (after all, who gives a ****?) but I never did because there wasn't any real reason to. The only patch I bothered removing was my nametag.

It's not as if hadji knew the difference between the various division patches. However, for purely superfluous reasons, I wanted to keep my name private.

Comment

Still waiting on my ACU's.....

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse