New Puppy!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Puppy!

I posted a couple of months back about looking for a new dog to get for my mother. Eventualy we decided against it as a family, but the christmas spirit made my sister and I go against that decision and so we purchased one anyway.

Once our mom saw her precious little face she couldn't say no. She is an English Yorkie Terrier, is currently roughly 2 months old, and we have not named her yet.

Here is several photos of the little bugger:
    http://s93152465.onlinehome.us/dog/puppy.htm

I was wondering if you guys have any information such as warnings or advice you would like to share with me about puppies. I have had the pleasure of living with 2 dogs throughout my life, but we never raised one which was so young (both of the previous ones were 6+ months old). I'm especially worried about initially adjusting her to her new home, ie. Is making her sleep alone right off the bat a bad idea? (she spent the first night with me, and i got hardly any sleep ><).

Cheers.

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Re: New Puppy!

look up crate training.....it kinda seems cruel but in reality after a night or two and if you prepare thier sleeping area well, they will be just peachy in thier own little part of the house.

My wife owns two chihuahua puppies (6 and 8 months old) and they stay in thier crate every night.....just make shure to never punish them by putting them in the crate

The only other advise i could give you is that they are like toddlers...they will get into the exact thing you dont want them in as soon as you turn your head so, "puppy" proof your house

Comment

I can vouch for crate training. Our dogs see their crate as their sanctuary now.

Keep in mind to reward the behavior you want. When a dog wont listen and runs away from the owner it's usually because they are afraid of the beating they will get when they return. Reward them for listening even if it takes a while for them to do it.

Also keep in mind that you are the Alpha. You don't want your dog thinking they are above you in the pack. Don't let them dominate you. For instance, if a dog is looking for attention don't always give it to them. Love them on your terms not theirs. Eye contact is also a dominant posture. If you want to enforce that they did something wrong, hold their gaze and don't be the first to look away. You can be dominant without being cruel.

Look around your area for trainers. They can really help. This helps both of you and socializes the dog.

I'm sure people will have differing opinions on how to raise a dog just as raising kids. I've helped raise our 6 dogs and they all seem to have turned out fine. :)
      flux
      [tg-c1]

Comment

Originally posted by flux View Post
        I've helped raise our 6 dogs and they all seem to have turned out fine. :)
        LOL! not mine! Theyre like little furry pirahna. And when we take em to the in laws who have even more chihuahuas.....oh dear.

Comment

whoops, just re-read your original question and realized you were just asking about how to care for puppies. i see i got a bit carried away. yeah, crate training is definitely the way to go. they will whine for a while but they will grow to like their little hideaway.
          flux
          [tg-c1]

Comment

Any input is fine, thank you guys.

I came home to a letter on my door, apparently some neighbor thinks my dog is sick, and will call the "Humain Society" (notice Humain, not Humane) if I don't handle it. Glad he/she didn't want to do this face to face and left an anonymous note assuming things, filthy coward. This is in a condo btw, oh well, hope whoever it was comes to their sense and realizes that puppies can cry, oh my lord, who would have thought.

If I see another note I guess I'll have to be the civil one and go door to door hoping whoever it was will then understand.
            Last edited by Polska; 12-12-2006, 09:39 PM.

I love gaming, mmmmmmmm

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X