The Evolution of Consoles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Evolution of Consoles

This is a great linear photo collection displaying the evolution of game consoles since even before the Atari 2600 all the way up to the Wii. There are too many photos to include inside the post, so I'll just give the link

http://knuttz.net/hosted_pages/Conso...ution-20070103

I had no idea there was so many, but I remember a lot of them.

Re: The Evolution of Consoles

Coming next year, the Odyssey 9 billion. Seriously it was pretty funny that every other console there was a new incarnation of the Odyssey.

Also I was under the assumtion that the Wii came out before the PS3, or did they come out simutaniously?

-Sirusblk

Comment

What the heck is a XaviX?

I like seeing the new big three together like that. The juxtaposition of the different design theories is interesting.

XBox: I'm quirky, but powerful. Like a computer geek's casemod.

Wii: I'm bright and clean, so your kids can play with me.

PS3: I will kill you with a katana.
      In game handle: Steel Scion
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Steeler View Post
        PS3: FEED ME MOAR MONEY
        Fix'd

Comment

Originally posted by Sirusblk View Post
          Coming next year, the Odyssey 9 billion. Seriously it was pretty funny that every other console there was a new incarnation of the Odyssey.
          Hehe, I myself always wondered what version of Atari we would currently be using had Atari maintained it's market dominance. The Atari 260,000?

Comment

I knew about alot of those, some not so much, but I think it'd be funny hearing what the 'oldest' console some people knew of before seeing this page. I know several people in my family would say the "Atari Video Computer System"

Some would say the NES.

The Atari is a quarter of the page down, and the NES was almost halfway through the page!
            RAWGRLRLRLRRLGLRL!!!

Nations are like individuals: they achieve more when they plan to plant a tiny tree, and do it, than when they propose to raise an entire forest and then fall asleep in the furrows.

I AM socializing artard, I'm logged on to an MMORPG with people from all over the world and getting XP with my party using Teamspeak

Comment

The first one I had was one of the "tennis" games, but it was a clone and not found on that page.

My friends and I got together a couple of times in the early 80's for a gaming party. We had an Atari 2600, Intellivision, Colecovision, TRS-80 Color Computer, NABU and TI99/4A all in one room (possibly among others). Now THAT was a snapshot of an era in gaming.

Edit:
              Meant to respond... I was aware of the Odyssey machines, but the 2000 is the only model that strikes me as "familiar" from the photo. I seem to recall Omega Race being a big game on that machine. I also remember the Telstar and Pong. All of those "tennis" machines were heavily advertised.
              Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

I'm glad they don't put faux wood on consoles anymore.
                "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
                He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirusblk View Post
                  Also I was under the assumtion that the Wii came out before the PS3, or did they come out simutaniously?
                  The PS3 was released a week before the Wii.
                  Become a supporting member!
                  Buy a Tactical Duck!
                  Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                  TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

NeoGeo! Somewhere around $700 back during the Super Nintendo era.

I was friends with a kid back in Elementary for almost the sole purpose that he had a NeoGeo. The graphics were awesome. Of course, this was back when arcade games were cutting edge in graphics. He also had a Sega CD when it first came out.

Am I a horrible person? Yes.

On a sidenote, my dad had the original pong. It was possibly the only video game my mom ever enjoyed playing.

Comment

We should start a new thread on what systems people have. Infact, I think I'll start one now!
                      "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Something is out of place there; to the best of my recollection, the NES console did not come out before Atari 2600 and 7800. Wikipedia gives the following dates: A2600 in 1977, A7800 in 1984/86 (first was a test market) and NES in 1983/85 (JPN/USA).

First console that I owned was an Atari 2600, though I remember a neighbor that had a 5200 and another that owned Coleco Vision. Gotta love the Vectrex system they show, though. "Brings real arcade play home" with a picture of a Clean Sweep (minesweeper) cartridge in the background.
                        [squadl]
                        "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

Originally posted by SmokingTarpan View Post
                          Something is out of place there; to the best of my recollection, the NES console did not come out before Atari 2600 and 7800. Wikipedia gives the following dates: A2600 in 1977, A7800 in 1984/86 (first was a test market) and NES in 1983/85 (JPN/USA).

First console that I owned was an Atari 2600, though I remember a neighbor that had a 5200 and another that owned Coleco Vision. Gotta love the Vectrex system they show, though. "Brings real arcade play home" with a picture of a Clean Sweep (minesweeper) cartridge in the background.
                          That 2600 is the "second edition". A desperation attempt to make some money off of the resurgence in console interest. The real 2600, the Atari Video Computer System, is way up the list under Atari Stunt Cycle.

And Clean Sweep is not minesweeper! The Vectrex did bring real arcade play home, if you happened to like the three vector graphics arcade games that were out there, and you didn't mind playing them on a 6x8 screen.
                          Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Atari 2600>>nintendo>>genesis>>super nintendo>>n64>>ps1>>ps2>>xbox>>xbox360>>ps3.
                            the gamecube and the wii just suck.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
                              Atari 2600>>nintendo>>genesis>>super nintendo>>n64>>ps1>>ps2>>xbox>>xbox360>>ps3.
                              the gamecube and the wii just suck.
                              Obviously it's all a matter of opinion (I own zero consoles, and plan to buy none), but sales figures show that the Wii definitely isn't sucking. :P

http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/12/27/nintendo_wii_sales/

I've also read rumors of PS3's basically sitting on the shelves now, indicating lack of demand. However, I've yet to find a solid article backing that up.

And yea, I guess I owned the second addition of the Atari 2600. And I'm still convinced that Cleansweep is Minesweeper. I mean, come on, they both have 'sweep' in their name!
                              [squadl]
                              "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X