ArmA AAR tactical walkthrough...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ArmA AAR tactical walkthrough...

Something a little different here... Our own Turbo made one of my new favorite missions for Armed Assault... Your squad is tasked with locating and destroying a enemy controlled camp... You have a fast mover that comes in and drops a few bombs to thin the pack a little, but as luck would have it, the one time I decided to capture screens of the mission, it never comes. lol

This is an After Action Review (AAR) of that mission, I take the squad leader position, and the AI takes up all the other positions. But with this AAR I explain my tactical thinking on what I wanted to happen in the mission.

Hope you enjoy and/or maybe learn something from this "Tactical AAR".

The mission briefing, pretty strait forward, Camp Assault, move out then South and assault the camp, let no one escape...

My squad moves out from the village, I order "hold fire", and order a "staggered column" formation due to the type of terrain we will be entering...

Staying on the road is never a good idea, so I move the squad off of the roadway...

I want to move as close to concealment as possible, so from tree cluster to tree cluster is the movement technique...

I survey the terrain and surrounding area, along with using the map to study the lay of the land, we have air superiority so I decide to keep the staggered column formation, and take the squad right up a draw off of a small valley...

As we come up to a danger area (road crossing), I order one man to watch left down the road and another right, I then order one team at a time to cross over the danger area and form up on the opposite side...

We then continue up the draw in staggered column, using the terrain to our advantage...

As we get closer to the objective I order the squad into a wedge formation for better combat control and flank protection. I then order everyone into a prone position as I begin to crest a hill over looking the objective, I want to survey the situation first...

I crest the hill, prone, pull out my binoculars and notice a convoy getting ready to leave, theres also an enemy infantry squad walking around far, along with all four towers occupied with enemy forces...

I survey the terrain and make my plan...

I send my sniper far right to high ground to cover the assault...

I then order Bravo team over to the right, lower in the roadway to attack the front vehicles with there AT weapon, and to keep any escape avenue for the enemy secured...

OK, everything is set, The sniper is up high right overlooking the assualt, Bravo team is to the right, below to engage vehicles and stop any escape, I then move the rest of the squad up in line formation with me, I assign everyone primary targets...

I order all to "open fire", the AT gunner is the first to take out the lead vehicle, (behind the wood line by the road), and the sniper opens up on the machine gunners...

The second vehicle is hit, fire is coming at us and we are returning fire down into the objective...

The firefight slows down, all the vehicles are taken out, with three burning down below...

I look over to my sniper and see that he is my squads first casualty, (stupid AI, if he would of been behind cover or at least in those bushes he may still be alive today)...

I then move Bravo team up on the right side of the roadway, in a bounding overwatch maneuver with us in a overwatch...

Because of the terrain on the left side, I decide to put the remainder of the squad in a esilon right formation, since our left is protected by the high mountain, and only the left side is exposed...

The two fire teams move up in a bounding overwatch, one moves while the other covers, once close enough I order all to line up for the final assault...

I notice a squad of infantry near the front gate, by the roads end, we only have a slight hill to protect us on the assualt...

I begin the assualt with a couple of hand grenades tossed into the enemy positions in a hope to kill a few, and also to get them moving and exposed...

Two enemy soldiers get brave and charge my line formation, we all open up and they quickly die...

We then continue to move forward, engaging enemies as we see them, I order 2 of the remaining 6 to flank right while we suppress...

My machine gunner goes down to my left, didn't use the slight hill to his advantage, I low crawl over and take his SAW and continue with the suppressive fire...

Suppressive fire with the SAW machine gun, while my 2 man team flanks the enemy to the right...

And of course, the remainder of my squad go down, including the two I sent to the right flank...

I am the last man, I decide to take the high ground and engage the remaining enemies from a distance, the perimeter of the base is cleared but there seems to be a small force remaining in the actual base... I go down of course...

The last remaining enemies that got me...

Lessons learned:
    I thought I did pretty well on the tactical plan and assault, It would of been nice for the Air Force to thin the pack a little like they did every time before, must be a random script...

As usual the AI is a joke, there is still no improvement no matter what they claim, guess that will always be a problem...

The sniper should of used better cover and concealment, and when I sent units to flank they shouldn't of made a B line for the flank but used proper 3 to 5 second rushes behind cover and concealment more to the right then up the flank.

Solution, play co-op, use humans, the AI is still a bunch of idiots! ;)
    Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Re: ArmA AAR tactical walkthrough...

Excellent Walk through...I was lucky to play this mission with about 5 or 6 other TGers a couple of weeks back. Good stuff.
    sigpic
    |TG-1st|Grunt
    ARMA Admin (retired)
    Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Re: ArmA AAR tactical walkthrough...

yeah, you really got to really work those bots to get anything out of them.

I am talking Peyton Manning quaterbacking here guys. pointing this out and moving guys here.

You really got to work that space bar and the mouse wheel.

I hate it when you accidently get the entire squad to move or attack a position, and your well positioned fire-teams get reset and start marching away.

But that was my fault.

They do have some strong points. Good shots and they obey orders to the letter, lol.

I always try to have bot to watch for flankers. I believe the trick is to have them scan the horizon to get the job done.

Every detail needs to be looked at.
      (PO3) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Member
      (CPO) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Squad Leader
      (LCDR) Marcinko_R. (BF2 PR .509) Commander

Squad Member pledge to their SL:
      Squad Leader pledge to their team:
      Commander pledge to their SL:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse