Now THAT is a HALO jump!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now THAT is a HALO jump!

Could you just imagine if they get as far as thier final plans for a full orbital jump?

http://www.theregister.com/2007/06/2...troopers_r_go/
    sigpic

Re: Now THAT is a HALO jump!

Curses on the journalist for mentioning Starship Troopers, referring to the train wreck and assuming it would be inferred that he was ignoring the book.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
    I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
    Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

There is some worry, however, about transonic shockwaves that the 60-mile spacediver will experience while transitioning from 2,500mph down through the sound barrier. But Clark reckons it's pretty likely things will be OK. He says that an SR-71 "Blackbird" spy plane cracked up in 1966 while flying at more than Mach 3. The pilot - though he did black out - was fine, despite having left the plane at three times the speed of sound.
      Holy ...... :icon_eek:
      Dizlor

Comment

Originally posted by Gogeta View Post
        Holy ...... :icon_eek:

YEAH.. this one got me thinking.. can it be done?

Apparently, analysts at Nasa's famous Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) say the numbers are correct. Robert Manning of JPL said that he doesn't see "anything fundamentally wrong with what they’re doing ... It’s just scary as hell.”
        sigpic

Comment

Off Topic/Thread hijack...sorry
          IS StarShip Troopers the novel about a the journey of a young boy. Who goes to the global army and is trained on the moon? Then they go off to fight some blobs on another planet? Of course they suffer from time dialation due to the time they have to spend in stasis. Which is I think is a liquid style of stasis where a person is put into a tube then the tube is filled. I think he finds a girl along the way who is killed. Also, the cover when I read the book I described had deep space in the background. With a person in a red/brown jacket with his back to you, his face in profile with a helmet with the sun shield down and a pistol in his hand held at a right angle to his body. (circa 1993) If you have any idea as to what book I am thinking of. I would appreciate a PM. I have been literally thinking of this book for about a decade.

On topic:
          Holy Smoly!

Comment

Originally posted by amu107.9 View Post
            IS StarShip Troopers the novel about a the journey of a young boy. Who goes to the global army and is trained on the moon? Then they go off to fight some blobs on another planet? Of course they suffer from time dialation due to the time they have to spend in stasis. Which is I think is a liquid style of stasis where a person is put into a tube then the tube is filled. I think he finds a girl along the way who is killed. Also, the cover when I read the book I described had deep space in the background. With a person in a red/brown jacket with his back to you, his face in profile with a helmet with the sun shield down and a pistol in his hand held at a right angle to his body. (circa 1993) If you have any idea as to what book I am thinking of. I would appreciate a PM. I have been literally thinking of this book for about a decade.
            Not even close. Good try, though.
            The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. ~
            I have a tendency to key out three or four things and then let them battle for supremacy while I key, so there's a lot of backspacing as potential statements are slaughtered and eaten by the victors. ~
            Feel free to quote me. ~

Comment

starship troopers is about a fight with aliens 1 katrillion miles away on a different planet, these bugs look like sand lions from HL2. or so i remember

Comment

On topic:
                Holy Smoly!
                http://www.wegrokit.com/starship_troopers.htm

"Starship Troopers is a book about military life, about why men fight, about social responsibility and about the importance of studying mathematics. A thrilling work, full of adventure, and at the same time profound. ~~Carlos Angelo"

Comment

yes, big bugs.

Comment

Originally posted by P8riot View Post
                    Could you just imagine if they get as far as thier final plans for a full orbital jump?

http://www.theregister.com/2007/06/2...troopers_r_go/
                    That'd be a helluva a ride!!

I suspect Fallosophy is on the early-bird list :D

Cheers,

|

It is the rule in war, if ten times the enemy's strength, surround them; if five times, attack them;
                    if double, engage them; if equal, be able to divide them; if fewer, be able to evade them; if weaker, be able to avoid them.

Comment

On topic:
                      Holy Smoly!

The Forever War. Joe Haldeman.
                      Second Sci-Fi book I ever read. The first was Heinlein's Have Space Suit, Will Travel.

Comment

On topic:
                        Holy Smoly!
                        Sounds a hell of a lot like "The Forever War".
                        Last edited by Gill; 07-06-2007, 10:00 AM. Reason: Bueller beat me to it. With a purty picture, too.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X