Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VBS2 mission screens...

Mission 1:

I'm a gunner assigned to 1st squad, our platoon is ordered to move in and "sweep and clear" a town were insurgent activity has been reported. 1st and 2nd squad moves in while 3rd and 4th provide flank security and coverage.

We leave our base, pan out and move to our assigned locations:

As we get closer to the disembark point, we fan out and cover our arcs:

1st squad disembarks and prepares for battle:

Enemy contact, we run to nearby terrain cover and engage:

The radio is alive with enemy contacts and reports, all squads are in full engagement:

I take a round or two, but return fire and call for the medic:

After clearing from afar, were ordered into the town:

Enemy down:

1st squad spreads out for the sweep and clear while being overwatched by 2nd squad:

I spot an insurgent, I hesitate because he has no weapon, but appears strapped with a suicide vest, I take him out:

We complete our sweep and clear and meet back at the rally point:

I spot another one on my way to the rally, but he appears to be an unarmed civilian, I simply watch:

Mission 2

I'm a grenadier in this mission, part of a squad on routine patrol, (never a routine patrol), in a friendly town that has been recently getting harassed by insurgents hiding in the outline areas.

Staggered column, walking patrol:

An enemy insurgent pops around the corner in the distance, he engages us, we return fire:

We take more fire from out left flank, we turn and engage the enemy, but then got to watch for the civilians running in a panic:

More enemies are spotted but ran off into the woods Northeast of our location, we call in the sitrep and are ordered to hold position for pursuit clearance:

Were ordered to move out in bounding overwatch to-wards the fleeing insurgents:

we move into a wedge formation and begin to sweep the woods:

We spot a campfire and a couple of tents in the distance, were ordered to move in and clear it:

No contacts at the camp:

Suddenly to the right of the camp, enemy insurgents are seen moving in on us:

were ordered to engage all enemies, the firefight begins:

We move in pairs to flank and kill the enemy:

We have realized that the enemy force is larger then what we can safely handle, we call cross-roads, who sends in an extraction team:

We begin to make a tactical retreat, backing up, stopping to engage, repeat:

My squad leader goes down, I am put in charge and order my men to fall back and mount up:

We continue to fire and move, 122 meters is a long way in the middle of a firefight:

We mount up for extraction, at more then a 50% loss this is not a good day:

Mission 3:

In this mission, I am the squad leader and my squad is on stand-by for a QRF (quick reactionary force), in case something goes bad, and as luck would have it, on my shift something goes bad. A suicide bomber blows up his car at a checkpoint, enemy insurgents then assault the remaining force at the checkpoint. My squad is mobilize to move in and support.

As we round the corner, the checkpoint comes into view:

I make contact with the engaging insurgents:

We take out the majority, while I lose a man or two (a man or two being a man or two too many):

The firefight continues:

I use the dead enemies body for cover to engage the last known target:

The area is secure, were ordered back to secure the actual checkpoint site, and hold position.

These 3 missions represent what VBS2 is and what it's purpose is. 3 fantastic missions that teach and show what type of conflict, what type of warfare our troops are currently fighting.

I don't know who made these 3 missions, there actually beta missions, but I sure would like to know because there fantastic, there realistic, there betas and I'd like to get my hands on more of them.
    Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Re: VBS2 mission screens...

Those look like amazing mission for sure. I assume this was all single player?

Those would all make for some tense co-op if they could port to ArmA?

Comment

I wonder if they have soldiers play missions where nothing really does happen, just to keep them on their toes in a potentially dangerous situation. One of the hardest things about ARMA, for me, is holding cover when I'm under fire, trying to balance the a desire to maintain somewhat realistic behavior and the desire to pop off and shoot something, secure in my digital invulnerability.

Comment

Originally posted by FrankManik View Post
        I wonder if they have soldiers play missions where nothing really does happen, just to keep them on their toes in a potentially dangerous situation. One of the hardest things about ARMA, for me, is holding cover when I'm under fire, trying to balance the a desire to maintain somewhat realistic behavior and the desire to pop off and shoot something, secure in my digital invulnerability.
        I agree. If the mission has respawns but no easy way to get back to the front lines then you reallly don't want to take any risks. If there are parachute drops then I find myself sometimes taking more risks.

The thing I like about those missions is the inclusion of civilians and insurgents. That way you get away from opening up on every single thing that moves. As it stands now if we encounter a town and see people walking around its automatically assumed their all enemy [insert huge amount of firepower in their direction]

Comment

I envy you Magnum, it looks like lots a fun. But the price tag is sorta of a turn down. That's why I'm in ROTC, its cheaper then VSB2 and I even heard the Graphics are better. Only bad thing is theres no respawns currently, but there working on it.

Post some more pictures when you can

EDIT:

Whats the gun your using in the 2nd mission?

Comment

Great AAR as usual Magnum.

Like ARMA, I assume these are custom made missions?? Nice job by the mission maker on mirroring reality.
            sigpic
            |TG-1st|Grunt
            ARMA Admin (retired)
            Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

If you had enough actors/players, you could probably do missions that would simulate intelligence gathering, talking to locals, that sort of thing. I've only played a few 'insurgency' maps in Arma. The AK usually gives them away.

Comment

Originally posted by FrankManik View Post
                If you had enough actors/players, you could probably do missions that would simulate intelligence gathering, talking to locals, that sort of thing. I've only played a few 'insurgency' maps in Arma. The AK usually gives them away.
                I have played one that had civilians, some with weapons some without. However just because they had a weapon the mission didn't qualify them as Opfor. They had to engage you to qualify. Very tense, and I took a round waiting to so what the person was up to. Needless to say our unit took some significant damage on that one.

Comment

Really great Magnum50! Would really love, to play VBS2 some day....
                  sigpic

PR BF2 Alias: NewOrder_JoyDivision

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...