More FSX: Carenado Mooney M20J

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More FSX: Carenado Mooney M20J

I have some more lovely Flight Simulator X shots to share, and I think these are even a little bit better than my SW tour AAR.

I've never bought an add-on aircraft for FSX, mainly because it has a good variety of high-quality default aircraft, and there are so many good ones out there that are free. I have heard the company Carenado makes excellent payware general aviation aircraft at a pretty affordable price. Seeing as how I want to move up from the C172 to something with a little more oomph in the single-engine GA range, I decided on Carenado's Mooney M20J.

The aircraft is already modeled in FSX as a default aircraft (the Mooney Bravo), so I was a little reluctant to get it. After some coaxing on other forums, and some very rave reviews of the Carenado product, I caved and picked it up.

On its maiden voyage, I decide to break in the free demo of Full Terrain Experience I recently downloaded, which covers the entire Australian state of Tasmania.

I take off from Launceston airport, a fully redesigned airport in the demo.

I can tell already that the Carenado Mooney is an absolute dream to fly. Flawlessly smooth.

After departing to the north, I turn west, and enjoy the FTX scenery in the early-morning light.

Then, I turn north again and spot the airfield...

...before realizing that I am lined up on my VOR going precisely away from my destination, rather than toward it. I turn the Mooney over on its left wing and do a tight 180 degree turn back toward the south, and pass the airport off my left wing this time.

As the sun rises, I get a better look at my new toy.

Now, I'm starting to near the southeastern coast of Tasmania, and my destination.

I sight the airport, and turn to final after the tower tells me to come straight in. I only have to turn about 30 degrees to line up with runway 12.

I almost grease the landing after a long flare.

Safely on the ground. A Bombardier Dash 8 follows me in a few minutes after I park.

I go through the shutdown checklist, open the door and get out...

What a fun aircraft and amazing scenery. I'm contemplating getting at least one of the FTX scenery packs because of how great it looks, although it's having some impact on performance, introducing some slight hang ups from time to time. Beside that, the FPS are still smooth.

As far as the Mooney, I wish I would have picked this up earlier. After logging some more hours in the Mooney, I'm probably going to pick up the C152 from Carenado sometime in the future as well.

Hope you enjoyed this mini-AAR/review.

Evo
    "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
    He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Re: More FSX: Carenado Mooney M20J

Oh, by the way kev, this flight only took an hour. ;)

Comment

If you don't mind me posting some pics from flying around San Francisco.
      In the only payware vehicle I have purchased.
      Attached Files

Comment

I would like to know what it takes to produce the graphics as nice as what you have here. I love FSX but just dont play due to a weak system that does not give me the quality you enjoy.
        I am a member of a virtual airline and would fly more if I could enjoy it the way you do. What card/ setup do you have?
        What do I need to get the realism up there?
        Meat Drapes
        -[OIJ]-
        Operation Infinite Justice... the worlds largest clan. Currently enjoying a membership of over 1,454,500+ . We game in every climb and place. If you want to play/become one of us... visit your nearest Armed Forces recruiting station. I bet we have games you have never even heard of. They will be glad to help you.

Comment

Originally posted by Meat_Drapes View Post
          I would like to know what it takes to produce the graphics as nice as what you have here. I love FSX but just dont play due to a weak system that does not give me the quality you enjoy.
          I am a member of a virtual airline and would fly more if I could enjoy it the way you do. What card/ setup do you have?
          What do I need to get the realism up there?
          Relevant Specs:
          AMD 4400+ X2 (Toledo core)
          GeForce 8600GT 512MB
          1GB Corsair XMS PC3200
          160GB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM

It is an old system, and it's not the latest and greatest, but I am usually pegging the FPS at a smooth steady 25. I strive to keep my PC fairly clean of junk programs running in the background, and follow the philosophy of www.tweakguides.com for the most part. See their Tweaking Companion document, which I followed to tune my PC. No anti-virus or anti-malware programs running in the background on my PC, which can be huge performance killers.

I have my in-game settings such that my aircraft model is set to Ultra High detail, and high-res VC is turned on, because that gives me the best level of detail in my virtual cockpit, where I spend 99% of my time. I'm running full screen resolution of 1680x1050x32, with frame rate capped at 25. Global texture resolution is set to High, and filtering is Bilinear, and Anti-aliasing is on.

In my scenery options LoD radius is set to medium, mesh complexity 61, mesh resolution is 10m, texture resolution is 1m, and water effects are mid 2.x. Autogen and scenery complexity are both set to normal.

These shots include a custom scenery pack, so there is a slight performance hit with a hang or stutter every so often, but nothing that I find terribly annoying. When I fly in areas with the default scenery, I am pegging 25, except maybe on takeoff just after I lift off. I don't have frame rate problems on landings (thankfully).

Comment

I am running the :
            AMD 64 3800 X2 ( Toledo core )
            EVGA 8800 GTS 384MB
            2Gb Mushkin
            250Gb

How is it if I set my settings anything near yours I will get horrid frame rates. I cap mine at 20fps and need to set my game to look like crap to get enough frames to even fly. I am disappointed. Maybe I dont understand the settings. I think my rig is fairly similar to yours, perhaps the video ram is lacking with 128 less then yours. Yet my processor is better. I dont recall my planes looking as nice as yours and I always set them to ultra high too.
            Meat Drapes
            -[OIJ]-
            Operation Infinite Justice... the worlds largest clan. Currently enjoying a membership of over 1,454,500+ . We game in every climb and place. If you want to play/become one of us... visit your nearest Armed Forces recruiting station. I bet we have games you have never even heard of. They will be glad to help you.

Comment

I am running the :
              CPU Type DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+, 2500 MHz (10 x 250)
              System Memory 3040 MB (DDR SDRAM)
              Video Adapter GeForce 8800 GTX (768 MB)
              Disk Drive ST3500630AS (500 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA-II)

I used the tweak guide on tweakguide and avsim.
              I have mine basically setup like Evo except that I have a global texture on Medium, no frame rate cap its set to umlimited, 1280*1024 @60Hz, water is set to highest which I think is 2x, I love clouds so clouds are set to highest as well,
              I have auto updates on weather and other airtraffic is set to lowest.

Comment

Originally posted by Meat_Drapes View Post
                I am running the :
                AMD 64 3800 X2 ( Toledo core )
                EVGA 8800 GTS 384MB
                2Gb Mushkin
                250Gb

How is it if I set my settings anything near yours I will get horrid frame rates. I cap mine at 20fps and need to set my game to look like crap to get enough frames to even fly. I am disappointed. Maybe I dont understand the settings. I think my rig is fairly similar to yours, perhaps the video ram is lacking with 128 less then yours. Yet my processor is better. I dont recall my planes looking as nice as yours and I always set them to ultra high too.
                Well, the aircraft I'm using in those shots is a payware add on with a higher res skin than the default Mooney. I'm also using a scenery enhancement, as well. Look at the shots in my southwest tour AAR, which is linked at the top of the original post in this thread if you want to see what my game looks like with default scenery and aircraft.

As for the rest, not sure. Your system is only marginally different from mine. It may have to do with a variety of factors. I suggest you check out Tweakguides, if you haven't already, for some ways to make your system more efficient.

Comment

That mooney looks Be U ti FULL!

Comment

MeatDrapes, I should add that I do almost no flying around major cities. I do fly in large cities, like the size of Savannah, GA or Grand Rapids, MI, but general aviation is what I love flying right now, and I just don't fly in or out of many huge airports or cities with the type of flying I'm doing. I'm sure if I was flying over Manhattan or San Fransisco, I might have some frame rate issues, but I'm not sure since I never have tried. Weird that I've owned this program since it was released, and have never flown over those two places.

Originally posted by amu107.9 View Post
                    That mooney looks Be U ti FULL!
                    Thanks! I picked up the (free) high definition virtual cockpit and exterior skins for the Carenado Mooney from Orbx (the FTX guys). They also have hi def skins for a few other Carenado aircraft. For your viewing pleasure, here's pics:

Comment

If you come across a nice Pilatus PC-12 freeware is nice. But if it's a really great improvement to purchase let me know please.

PS
                      I seem to have found an excellent payware version that has been given the stamp of approval from Pilatus, Inc.
                      Also, check This out! The screenshots for what this addon will bring to your experience seem to be impressive.

PSS
                      You may also want to download this if you plan to fly around in SF.
                      http://www.aerosoft.com/cgi-local/re...1390510,D00001
                      Last edited by amu107.9; 03-01-2009, 11:13 PM.

Comment

Flight1 is supposed to have the best PC-12: http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=fsxpc12

I searched Avsim, and didn't see any freeware.

Comment

Just installed Real Environment Xtreme (REX).

In an ultralite trike:

Comment

Man the airports look amazing!
                            I wonder if there is a comparison somewhere between the package you purchased and Flight Environment X from Flight 1.

Comment

Oh my I just read and looked at REX for some time.
                              That is right up there with your Hidef Mooney. Your finding some great stuff Evo.:row__523::row__523:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X