More Gun Related News

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Gun Related News

So, after deciding not to go through the hassle of owning a TMP, I decided to blow even more money on my bank-account draining hobby. I found this bad boy:

It's a Springfield Armory XD-40. This can is only a hair less accurate than my full size colt .45 and is just as solid. Besides the lack of a "true" safety, I am extremely pleased with it's performace and can see me owning it for a long time.

In other related news, can anyone guess what this is?

It's not a hicky, if you guessed that it's a nice burn from some guy with a .22 at the range rapid firing and barely hitting his target, you'd be correct. That picture is three days after it happened, and you can tell exactly what it is from a first look. I've been pegged with hundreds of .45 casings from the range and not one hurt this bad.

But I learned from this: setup on the LEFT of a guy with a .22.

Anyways, I finally got around to contacting Kimber on the numerous jams I've been having with my compact .45. Hopefully, they can do something about it or I'll be forced to sell the gun at a loss.

Re: More Gun Related News

Originally posted by TheFeniX
    It's not a hicky, if you guessed that it's a nice burn from some guy with a .22 at the range rapid firing and barely hitting his target, you'd be correct. That picture is three days after it happened, and you can tell exactly what it is from a first look. I've been pegged with hundreds of .45 casings from the range and not one hurt this bad.

But I learned from this: setup on the LEFT of a guy with a .22.
    Dude. In January, I qualified with the Steyr AUG for the first time. Firing positions were about 6 ft apart. I got one right on the jawbone that still hasn't gone away, one that went down the shirt collar and tattooed my chest, and two that fried permanent scars into my left elbow while shooting prone. I dislike the AUGs with a passion for many reasons, but particularly for how crappily they dissipate chamber heat...

Oh, and I've been looking at the XD for a while... Keep me appraised of how much you like it, OK. I'm debating whether to buy a HK-2000 or to try some other manufacturer. I'm absolutely in love with my HK USP Compact and I have no complaints with my SW99, but I want to get one more pistol to train the wife and kid on...
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I really need to get a weapon...

qualified with the beretta last thursday...was fun(probably not as fun as a damn aug :( we dont get to carry those)... hit by brass but none of it was too hot. Thinking about getting a beretta...thoughts anyone? probably buy used...and dont want anything too pricy

Comment

hrm, all this talk of shooting ranges makes me want to take my dad's collection out for a spin. He's got a PPK, German Luger, German Mauser, and various rifles one's a 7 magnum... I just wish he still had his laser sighted, hair-triggered glock >< but he sold it to get the Luger.

Comment

Originally posted by section-8
          I really need to get a weapon...

qualified with the beretta last thursday...was fun(probably not as fun as a damn aug :( we dont get to carry those)... hit by brass but none of it was too hot. Thinking about getting a beretta...thoughts anyone? probably buy used...and dont want anything too pricy
          I've seen too many Berettas malfunction and break to recommend them to anyone. The M9 is a piece o' crap, IMO. I've talked to many, many Border Patrol Agents who hate and distrust their Brigadiers (.40 DAO similar to the M9). Again, many pistols have broken in the field and while shooting on the range. The USBP is going to start issuing the HK P2000 which is an absolutely superb weapon. It's got the fantastic action and trigger of the USP and the ergonomics of the Walther P99/SW99. MSRP is $887, though, but worth every penny, IMO. I'm trying to talk my wife into carrying one instead of her Ruger SP101 .357

If you're on a budget, I'd look at Ruger, Glock and even Kahr, but I think Kahr is a bit of a step down in quality... You can find pistols from these three for under $500 brand new and with the first two, you're getting tried and true sidearms.
          Buy a Tactical Duck!
          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

I've always liked Beretta from what I've shot. I've never owned one though. They seem overpriced to me, but I'm no expert. Just FYI, I've had great success with gunbroker.com.
            New to TG?

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
              Oh, and I've been looking at the XD for a while... Keep me appraised of how much you like it, OK. I'm debating whether to buy a HK-2000 or to try some other manufacturer. I'm absolutely in love with my HK USP Compact and I have no complaints with my SW99, but I want to get one more pistol to train the wife and kid on...
              For $500, this gun is worth well more. The 12-round clip capacity, combined with the deadly accuracy at 7 and 10 yards (have yet to move back further with this gun) makes it a great buy. Break-down is a breeze and the flat slide takes almost no getting used to. I've got a concealable holster on order for it. I plan to buy a box of Hydro-shocks and carry it on and off when not using the Colt .45.

My only concern would be stopping power, but like I said: hopefully, hollow-points should fix that.

Originally posted by section-8
              I bought a Beretta .40 Model 96 for my first gun purchase. It was around $700. I'm pleased with the gun, but I wouldn't really recommend it. You'd be much better off buying a full-size Colt .45 or something like my XD.

Looks cool though.

Comment

I trained at Front Sight. They showed me some very simple exercises which made me accurate (in the heard or brainsquare) out to 25 yards with my Glock 30 (.45 subcompact). Sorry guys, if you can't do the same, you need to keep looking for the right instructor. It took me eighteen hours (8 then 10) to get to that skill level, after about two years of shooting with crappy CCW instruction and doing "okay" at 10 yards.

Grip.
                Sight picture.
                Trigger control.

Those are the only secrets. It's so simple, and yet it's frustrating not to find that everywhere.

They spent the next sixteen hours teaching us to draw from deep concealment and hit in under 2.2 seconds, and recover from mechanical failures. I was the only one in the class who couldn't clear the worst jam in under a second, having chosen to bring Wolf ammo which the instructors had to clear with a hot round in the chamber, a padded vice, and a padded pair of pliers. Do not use steel cased ammo, ever.

--Shroom
                -- Shroom
                I tried smoking mushrooms once. Couldn't keep the pizza lit.

Comment

Originally posted by shroompicker
                  having chosen to bring Wolf ammo
                  You spent how much money to attend some high quality training and you took Wolf with you???? What the heck were you thinking?

Wolf is good for AK47s and that's about it, IMO.

Comment

The XD is a fine pistol. Extremely reliable and accurate. Glock is also an excellent choice.

I'd stear clear of the beretta as they do fall apart faster and malfunctions are common. The main reason the military uses them is because beretta was the lowest bidder.

Comment

Originally posted by beretta
                      I'd stear clear of the beretta as they do fall apart faster and malfunctions are common. The main reason the military uses them is because beretta was the lowest bidder.
                      Heh... I love the irony...
                      Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Originally posted by IceCold
                        You spent how much money to attend some high quality training and you took Wolf with you???? What the heck were you thinking?
                        I didn't know any better. Just one of those times I learned the hard way.

I got PLENTY of type I and II failure practice, though! :)

--Shroom
                        -- Shroom
                        I tried smoking mushrooms once. Couldn't keep the pizza lit.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X