Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idea

I'll throw it out there:

How about on the TGU events on the private server, each instructor makes a squad that is named something about what they will be teaching. That way people can show up and work on exactly what they want to. That would also make manageable groups of 5 that can be rotated around and given individual attention from the instructor. So say I show up on one night and look through the squad list and see:

Armor
    Air
    Room Clr
    Formation
    Movement
    Leader

I would have a choice in what to do and what I wanted to learn that night. Squads would be locked after a few minutes so new people cannot join in and disrupt the middle of a session. Lessons would be variable length.

Another thought:

Make easily recigonizable codenames for certian areas and instructors can create TGU squads when on the public server:

TGU ldr - leadership training
    TGU inf - basic infantry training
    TGU cqc - close quarter combat training
    TGU co - talks to CO and gives advise
    TGU ......

You get my idea. These would be run by only TGU instructors and would be less lax than private server settings, but would still focus on those areas and squad members would be taught about whatever the topic of the squad is.

Acid

Re: Idea

I think that's a great idea...

Comment

this would be great for the events or maybe when we're doing DI duty during the week sometime if theres more than one of us.

Comment

I can usually only get on during the later weekdays, so that's how I thought this up.

Comment

This is great. This is basically how I envisioned the module system working when I first drew it up. Same basic efficient principles to keep instruction both manageable and straight-forward. Each instructor would post their lesson and the assistance they need from TGU (additional instructors/guinea pigs/targets/in house squad guest instruction) on Monday. We'd draw it together and address those needs by Tuesday. We'd make a post in the general or PoE2 forums on Wednesday detailing the various offering for the upcoming practice. This post would be an practice 'menu' of sorts: during first module period Intro to TG, Air Combat, Armor Combat will be served, followed by second module period main course of Squad Leadership, Advanced Infantry, Armor Within A Infantry Squad, concluding with the third advanced dessert module period of CO training, Combined Team-wide Tactics: Attacking a single target with Infantry, armor, and air, and CQC. They would be progressively more advanced seeing as only the dedicated players will stick around that long. All the modules will be roughly the same length by design so individuals can mix and match which they attend since all the instructors will be ending a module and ready to start another at the same time, like a high school period system. Then following that Wednesday post, people can sign-up, optionally, we can cancel unattended modules, and re-assign instructors to over-attended ones Thursday. Then by the weekend we're ready to put on a full practice with something taught by every TGU instructor and offering at least one lesson that any individual TGer can find appealing.

That is the excellent idea of what TGU will be one day. Someone who wants to post that on the Tactical Wiki as our eventual long term goal/mission statement can.

TGU today is a few comparatively less ambitious practices. Between today's TGU--i.e. the TGU we are--and the TGU of tomorrow that I just described--i.e. the TGU I think we want to be--is a whole lot of work. Work with a capital DOUBLE-YOU.

Just off the top of my head here is a laundry list of what we need to get there in no particular order:

Consistent In Game Promotion-TGU is totally under-promoted. We seem to have way more staff and potential than business. To participate in our practices, players need currently to be active in the forums as forum announcements are our primary, and I dare say only, clearly-communicated message that TGU is producing. Unfortunately our target gamer, the less experienced player who is performing at less than their TG potential that we all have come to love, does not frequent our forums. Our only contact with them currently is in-game on our public server. If we cannot engage them there, they will simply not engage in TGU anywhere, in-game or at a practice. The key here is consistent advertisement of our predetermined practice times: that horribly annoying act of marketing we all hate is what we need. This is the area in which TGU most needs your ideas and efforts. Brainstorm how to solve this problem, and the rest of the stuff is easy.

dedicated operator/executioner-TGU needs someone (or some two people) to be responsible ACTION. They are the hatchetmen who get a project done. This means they translate idea threads like this one into executable tasks that individuals can take on (essentially what I'm writing right now). They convert event sign-ups into rosters, they match instructor availability and tactical-interests with those rostered events, and they follow-up on all those individuals through sites such as Evite.com to keep track of who wants to attend what and how (TGU mailing list for promotion of events?). They are the ones who do the legwork that gets TGU from an idea to a reality.

dedicated promoter-Very important right now. They essentially communicate with TGU about what will be available when. Acid holding a late-night CO mentor-ship on Tuesday? It is this guy's business to know and make sure as many people who would be interested in learning how to CO also know (hopefully anyone who enjoys having a CO and realizes we all need to step up and do it).

dedicated drill instructor-This guy is old reliable. I need one of you poor sods to hold a TGU practice at precisely the same time every week rain or shine, attendance or no, without ANY help from TGU at all. You need to be both totally self-sufficient and totally consistent in your ability to hold this practice. As the second half of that, total consistency is impractical, you have to be absolutely dependable to find a replacement to hold a practice in your place when you cannot. This is so all of TG can count on and know to their core that their will be a TGU practice on such and such a night as sure as their is a password night on Tuesday and Saturday.
          Right now almost everyone is ready to DI. That will be great some day when we have enough attendance; right now it is a bit of overkill. Of all the qualified and dedicated DIs, the one TGU needs most right now, is the one who will be the most dedicated to hold practices as regular as the post man.

Coherent plan for in-game TGU offeringsWe need to codify and execute a plan for how TGU will fit into the public server for maximum effect. And we need to get it in place yesterday. Brainstorm and execute TGU. Don't wait for us, don't wait to run it by the forum, and least of all, don't wait for me. If you got the slightest inkling of an idea about something TGU can do in game, do it yourself in game without hesitation and with the full weight and promotion of TGU in your sole action. If it works post an AAR in the forums about what you did. Don't slow yourself down by posting in the forums first, that won't get us any closer to getting it done. After a few AARs come back in this fashion we can discuss and codify the standard framework for our highly individualized TGU offerings in-game.

In short, TGU cannot operate primarily in practices YET, we will mainly need to operate in game as this is where our audience lies. Meanwhile we will promote and continue to hold practices but only as a secondary offering to our in-game content.

This is what TGU needs in my mind. Trust me, there are a thousand fancy ways to run a practice. We just aren't ready for them yet and spinning our wheels in that direction is a waste of quite finite effort.

To conclude there are now 5 kinds of TGU members. They are consumed and work toward one of these purposes and that one only, until that goal shines and cannot benefit from their effort anymore:

1. In-game promoters
          2. Operators/Executors/Facilitators
          3. Out-of-game promoter
          4. Dedicated Drill Instructor
          5. In-Game TGU Program Designer/Experimenter

Pick one and post in this thread. First person to take a job gets it. If you're still interested post after them and if they go AWOL due to RL stuff, then it'll go on to you. Let's get them all covered.

Maybe we'll be inundated with business next week but until then, let's shift out of practice designing/scheduling mode and into in-game promotion and offering mode. We will still be participating in the scrim practice regimen of course. Details on that to follow (unless the new TGU operator beats me to it by sorting through the scrim sign-up, tabulating the interested players, contacting the unaffiliated players to verify that they are not interested, place them in practice slots that fall within the practice time frames you all posted, cross-reference these slots against the already scheduled private server events to prevent double-booking, double-check to make sure that the instructors aren't over-booked and that the instruction load is spread around, then post the tentative pre-scrim practice schedule listing the instructors and players for each squad/practice time, wait for instructors to cancel based on that schedule(or PM a tentative schedule), tidy up the schedule and post the final schedule, relay this information to FBMantis directly, and contact administrators to reserve the private server time).

If none of that appeals to you, feel free to work on written lesson plans. Althought they are of nearly zero use to us now, with written lesson plans, any competent, possibly TGU-trained, instructor can hold a lesson that they did not design. Right now our potential is largely inhibited by the instructor who is holding a given practice generally needs to have either designed it himself, or spent an entire night's practice learning it from the person who designed it. With well-written, detailed lesson plans, we can offer many more practices to the community. Again, this is totally useless at this time and only to be under-taken if you are simply unable to find a use for your talents in the 5 other jobs listed.
          Xbox Live Gamertag: TG ABRA
          live.xbox.com/member/TG ABRA
          Friend me!

Comment

Btw, sorry if I'm not the fearless dedicated gentle leader of TGU you thought I'd be. I do truly value all of your efforts. But since I have very little time to commit to TGU right now, my contribution is best given to you guys straight. This is my honest, no-BS view of what TGU needs to succeed at present. Until I am relieved of de facto "top" of TGU, the best I can give it the straight-unadulterated cold view of what needs to happen now. If I had more time, I promise I'd sugar-coat it better and morale and such would be a higher priority. Unfortunately for now, it's sink or swim. The dedicated will take this advice and work through the time of a ponderously slow start, and the less dedicated will unfortunately become less motivated to contribute due to lack of appreciative morale-building. G'luck soldiers. I know you'll do me proud as you have been.
            Friend me!

Comment

Hey, real life comes before games.....as it should.

But, there are talents that you have that we specifically need .....like recently, the event last Saturday would have went off without a single real hitch if id had something written out for the primer points.
              Not only have you discussed this stuff before but you come across as an eloquent speaker (not sucking up just better than me)

What i need from you is a written piece about each of the primer points we've covered so far. A word for word spiel that i can just read.

If you could give me that then i can start planning another event for the week after the scrim.

PS. I guess Out Of Game Promoter would be my first choice but id also like to be a drill instructor as well
              Last edited by freekyE; 11-09-2006, 11:15 AM.

Comment

BAM! new idea.... Apophis gives one month trial memberships right? what if we gave those as rewards for completion to new TGers? (non-Supporting Members) Obviously im gonna have to contact the big A about it but that would be a nice carrot. Im gonna write up a pm right now.
                Last edited by freekyE; 11-09-2006, 12:53 PM.

Comment

That's a little big (both as a carrot and as a plan). People do things for ribbons, and people would definatly do things for a trial membership, but then we have those who attend one and get the month membership just because they went. I think the DI's would have to decide who really made an effort to practice, instead of going through the motions just to get the goodies.

As for my place, I don't have very much time at all to actually play or instruct, except I can do every friday afternoon, so I would put myself in more of the logistical area for planning and rosters and such. If we hold practices friday, then I would definatly be a DI, but as of now my schedule prohibits any steady committment.

Comment

Boom! Good hustle fellas. Freeky you seem to be talking an awful lot about practices and such to pass as the DI. I'd think you have show the most effort in that area and would think you an obvious choice if you'd accept. But until them tell me how the in-game promotion is going. Post AARs, no matter how minor they are. Like if you play tonight, as the in-game promoter mention TG regularly and get people motivated for the PoE scrim. Then post an AAR just explaining that you discussed it, possibly who heard you, who showed interest, etc.

Acid that would be great if you take fill the logistical role as the operator. Take a look at the scrim practice initiative with TGU. I think you have all the info you need to get started. Basically what you could do is go through the scrim thread and make up a roster of interested players for TGU and repost it here. From there you could start matching availabilities and suggest some provisional practice times to TGU instructors. Then TGU can start finalizing practice times and promoting them to the community and RSVPing the people who signed up. DO as much or as little of it as you want/can of course.

As for the trial membership, that seems bold. I like the idea. I would award if after a participant has completed the 4 into to TG modules to an acceptable standard of performance and demonstrated them in game. This would involve attending at least 2 or 3 practices and their corresponding in game events.

Tell me what Apo says, if you haven't PMed him yet, CC a copy to me. That's all for now; more to say but have to run.
                    Friend me!

Comment

BOOM! You think small and you live small. or vice versa.
                      Apophis is interested in the idea. He asked for more info on the modules and i am sending him the link for our (ABRA's) tactical wiki.

Geez guys, nothing is impossible until you give up on it.

P.S. i <3 onomotopaeia :)

Comment

We definitely wouldn't award these free months to just anyone who walks in off the (Internet) street. You gotta earn em just like you have to earn just about everything else around here.

You gotta complete ALL the Basic modules and have a DI sign off on you .....which if ABRA wants it then we have to play with you in game and see you performing up to standard.

Also the offer wouldn't be held out to anyone who has been an SM in the past....only for new people to show them what they re missing.

Comment

SHAZAM! Good work Freek.

PM me you and Apo's correspondence. Should be worthy of reposting here so the team can put their minds to how we can best utilize this 'carrot'. This is exactly the kind of self-execution of brainstorms TGU needs. Proud of you Freek.

Now that we have something worthy of promotion let's promote it. Now with this to offer on top of everything else, TGU is starting the be the best kept secret of TG.

As big an honor as that is, I think we'd all rather it not be a secret. Without promotion this carrot won't help us.

Keep up the good work, you guys never cease to amaze me.
                          Friend me!

Comment

Originally posted by ABRA
                            Acid that would be great if you take fill the logistical role as the operator. Take a look at the scrim practice initiative with TGU. I think you have all the info you need to get started. Basically what you could do is go through the scrim thread and make up a roster of interested players for TGU and repost it here. From there you could start matching availabilities and suggest some provisional practice times to TGU instructors. Then TGU can start finalizing practice times and promoting them to the community and RSVPing the people who signed up. DO as much or as little of it as you want/can of course.
                            Sure thing :).

Comment

We cant promote "codename carrot" just yet as Apophis hasnt given me the "GO" yet. However he was interested and said hell get bact to me on it after checking out the info I sent him.

Also I ended up on the German side for the scrim and I posted a "tenative practice dates thread" I have several people who can attend on the thursday before the scrim.

PS. the response I recieved from Apophis.
                              Originally posted by Apophis
                              That's not a bad idea at all! Having not kept up to date with what the TGU is doing, could you summarize that the modules consist of and what would be required of the individuals in order to complete them?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X