It's okay not to vote

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's okay not to vote

Now I know elections are coming up for most (if you haven't filled out your absentee ballot yet anyways) and while the general advertisement has been get out and vote, let your voice be heard, I want to remind everyone vote consciously and that it is okay to not vote.

I haven't been voting long, in fact this will only be my second general election. One special election in between. I've exercised my vote as religiously as possible. I don't vote on every issue, only those I'm informed about, candidates I feel I can vouch for and defend my choices.

I can't tell you how frustrated I get when I hear about others voting simply because "he's republican" or "democrats don't support this issue". I might vote for governor, but I probably won't be voting for a couple of issues. I read analysis, including the one on the ballot. And lastly I wear my voter sticker with pride. If you don't have the knowledge on the issues you're voting on, please don't even vote. You're doing your fellow citizens a huge disservice.

Re: It's okay not to vote

That's why my girlfriend isn't voting. She doesn't know anything about the candidates and doesn't care to learn much to my annoyance.

Let me just say I'm really really sick and tired of voting the lesser of two evils. I had a whole thing typed out but I deleted it. I don't want to start a big flame war over abortion, gun rights, and financial reform.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder228 View Post
      Let me just say I'm really really sick and tired of voting the lesser of two evils.
      Vote for a third party candidate, even if it is a communist or anarchist. At least it shows that somebody wants something other than the current evils.
      |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

It's absolutely ok not to vote if you are uninformed, regardless of what the ads may tell you. Many people vote simply along party lines, based on their own history of voting, or other shallow reasons like that.

I also hate voting for the lesser of two evils, yet many elections seem to boil just down to that. I at least try to be as informed as possible to make sure I'm really voting for the lesser. I understand that's still sad.
        "I've been working since I was sixteen. I fought in two wars. Hell, I've killed people. I'm not saying that I didn't enjoy it..."
        -- Red Forman

Comment

Oddly enough, I feel like not voting if you're uninformed is the lesser of two evils. While everyone should make an informed vote, if that isn't going to happen, an uninformed vote is just worse than not voting.
          I can ADS using more than a 2x without significant stutter! This was a good patch.

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder228 View Post
            I don't want to start a big flame war over abortion, gun rights, and financial reform.
            That's good. We already have threads where we can flame over those issues. ;)

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/sandbox...-abortion.html

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/tags/gun%20control.html

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/tags/economics.html
            Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

It’s hard enough to get people to vote with good weather on election days, getting informed voters on the election is generally impossible. It is however important to vote. Many elections, mostly local will be close and every vote will count.

Classic case was a special election after the presidential elections (’08). My senator became Sec of State, my congresswomen became my senator. For the November election NY 20th Congressional race was won with a majority of 69,033 out of 287,321 votes. The April (’09) special election was won with a majority of 726 out of 160,940 votes.

When I lived in Albany County the coroner was elected. I didn’t have a clue who it was running, they didn’t stump or run ads.

Comment

Encouraging the uninformed to vote is a bit like encouraging ignorant villagers to show up with pitchforks. In fact, it's exactly like that, because voting is really just polite violence. It's a way for the majority to impose their views on the minority, without someone actually dying in the process. It's like two armies showing up for a war, and the smaller one conceding to avoid getting slaughtered.

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

The common theme that you are choosing from two parties is the real problem. When people think they have to pick both then it doesn't matter if the voter is ignorant of the issues because the two parties are the same on the vast majority of issues, and only differ on the topics that both know aren't going to change during their stay in office.
                  |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

So the Republicans got to you too?

While it appears that that's a neutral or at least Democrat ad, the guy who's in charge of that group is a heavy GOP donator and conservative political pundit for Univision.

<04:11:24> *** You are now talking in channel: "TFP - Task Force Proteus"
                    <04:16:25> "|TG-XV| Tralic": this channel is so gay
                    DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Comment

Originally posted by snooggums View Post
                      Vote for a third party candidate, even if it is a communist or anarchist. At least it shows that somebody wants something other than the current evils.
                      Well said. As long as I have the mental where withall I will always use my vote and make sure I am informed about who I am voting for. Most of the world has little or no say in their own governance, we at least have a chance to make our voices heard, don't squander a hard fought for freedom.
                      We are not apologetic for who we are. What we can do, however, is educate people so that they fear us for the right reasons.

Comment

The Latino "don't vote" message would be so much more effective if those ballots included None of the Above.

Comment

Write-ins are key. You want to throw your nose up at the politicians? Use a write-in. For example, both of the senate candidates in colorado are complete idiots (i've done my research on both of them), so what did I do? I voted for Mr. T. Why? Cause Mr. T pities the fool who doesnt vote intelligently.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X