X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bush would have endorsed Obama

http://thenewamerican.com/index.php/...theyd-asked-me

http://blogs.ft.com/westminster/2010...te-for-mccain/

The venue was the Oval Office. A group of British dignitaries, including Gordon Brown, were paying a visit. It was at the height of the 2008 presidential election campaign, not long after Bush publicly endorsed John McCain as his successor.

Naturally the election came up in conversation. Trying to be even-handed and polite, the Brits said something diplomatic about McCain’s campaign, expecting Bush to express some warm words of support for the Republican candidate.

Not a chance. “I probably won’t even vote for the guy,” Bush told the group, according to two people present.“I had to endorse him. But I’d have endorsed Obama if they’d asked me.”
    I saw McCain as "Obama Lite", and figure that if he'd been elected, we'd be in just as bad a situation, but the Republicans would be saying it's a Good Thing, and the Democrats would be calling for fiscal responsibility.
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Re: Bush would have endorsed Obama

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
    I saw McCain as "Obama Lite", and figure that if he'd been elected, we'd be in just as bad a situation, but the Republicans would be saying it's a Good Thing, and the Democrats would be calling for fiscal responsibility.
    I'd like to believe the Tea Party wouldn't have gotten as such sensationalism but truthfully I'm kinda glad it worked out this way. Personally I don't see McCain in any position to do anything better nor do I think anything could be done better. Obama got stuck with Bush's mistakes.

Comment

I suspect he’s still peeved at the 2000 Republican Primaries and not very forgiving. The campaign for the South Carolina primary was very ugly and dirty.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirusblk View Post
        I'd like to believe the Tea Party wouldn't have gotten as such sensationalism but truthfully I'm kinda glad it worked out this way. Personally I don't see McCain in any position to do anything better nor do I think anything could be done better. Obama got stuck with Bush's mistakes.
        I hear that. I quite surprised, but at the same time I'm not, at the apparent blame people put on Obama when it was indeed Bush that put us into this position, their ignorance disgusts me.

"Certainly, being bombarded with 105 millimeter shells is bad. But the knowledge that you've armed your enemy thus, with your sloth and your ineptitude, unfolds in the heart like a poison." Tycho from Penny Arcade in reference to the nuke in MW2

Comment

That's not new. The same thing happens after every transition. People blamed Bush for the sins he inherited from Clinton, and Clinton for the sins he inherited from Bush Sr.

And you can blame the President's own hubris for that. He comes to office claiming he's the hero who will fix everything, so why not blame him when he can't help but fail?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

That's not new. The same thing happens after every transition. People blamed Bush for the sins he inherited from Clinton, and Clinton for the sins he inherited from Bush Sr.
            True but I see Clinton leaving us with a well paid off national debt, a balanced budget, etc. Bush came in and all he had to do was stay the course and not screw it up. True there were issues with 9/11, Hurricane Katrina, etc. so to his credit those were some wicked curve balls, but for the most part Bush just absolutely trashed what good Clinton did for us as a nation. I'm not saying Clinton is without fault though, he was the guy that introduced this failed "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy.

And you can blame the President's own hubris for that. He comes to office claiming he's the hero who will fix everything, so why not blame him when he can't help but fail?
            He campaigned on a slogan of "Change" which if you look at an objective standpoint every politician does. All politicians want to capitalize on the failures of the previous administration by promising to do better. All our president promised was a change in attitude and in that regard I believe he has succeeded. The Tea Party has equally made extravagant claims, however they've also added some very very specific ones such as balancing the budget in a years time. I'll reserve judgement for 2 or 4 years on down the line but I'm willing nothing will change with them in office.

Comment

Note that the Tea Party isn't "in office" to the extent that Obama was over the last two years. He had both sides of Congress. They just have a faction within a party in one house and not in the White House.

Comment

Note that Obama doesn't also come up with laws, he only signs them into action once Congress approves them. Same with the budget. Blaming Obama for the problems Congress poses is a joke. He has no more control over the democratic side of Congress than Cheney had over the trigger of his shotgun. I think that was quite evident when he wanted to pursue health care reform and got blockaded on all sides.

The Tea Party made promises of balancing the budget, I expect them to live up to their word or get railed equally for disappointing the american populace. You make a promise, regardless you stand next to it.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X