Facebook and Background Ping

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Facebook and Background Ping

I have noticed that when gaming and with Facebook open, my ping rate increases by 50 to 100 points. This suggests that something in FB is constantly communicating data. Any leads on this?
    sigpic

Re: Facebook and Background Ping

Facebook and other sites constantly update. They have scripts included to inform you about messages and updates in realtime. Of course that can affect the ping.

But honestly... Why leave your browser open while playing?
    Both my PC and my connection are good. Nontheless I close Firefox before starting a game. Browers (especially if you always have at least 4-6 tabs open) need a lot of RAM.
    Just close it and you should be good.

And I don't think that FB is constantly transferring 'important' data. I guess it's just a 'Something new? No? Alright... Something new? No? Alright...'-kind of thing.
    sigpic

Comment

Facebook has an IMing feature now, it could easily be that.
      BF 2142:|TG| Birdman10113
      CoD4: |TG|Birdman

Let's put the badges here...

Comment

Could simply be your browser too. For instance Chrome has hardware acceleration support, meaning when you load that flash video or javascript page your browser will be using your video card to render it. Firefox may have also added in that feature. Also all tabs use up your CPU if left open. If you're playing a game like Call of Duty, they factor in your computer's performance as well and not simply just your ping from the server to your computer.

Also Facebook is quite ingeniously designed to be constantly updating minor portions of it's page thus you don't have to keep refreshing your page to see if you've received a new message or not.

Comment

The technology is normally called comet, or reverse AJAX. Basically, the javascript portions of the page keep one, or several persistent tcp connections open with the server, which in turn, pipes updates to your browser as they happen. Think IM client except it's all done with cute web tricks, and feeding a "dynamic" website versus Messenger or something. Basically, if you have a low bandwidth connection, or, the browser you are using is good at taking resources, there can be contention. I'll do some testing myself, but honestly, I haven't noticed this. I understand why it could be an issue though, in some edge cases.
          Do or do not, there is no try....
          -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

Originally posted by gunjunkie View Post
            Basically, if you have a low bandwidth connection, or, the browser you are using is good at taking resources, there can be contention.
            Can also tie into how the local router/modem/wireless is set to prioritize different requests. Games can sometimes get stuck under the "streaming video" banner and get nailed when say, a page refresh request shows up.

*Was this always in the Sandbox? Don't recall that being the case but now that I notice it...why here? It's more of a hardware/general thing.
            Last edited by Flarfignuggen; 11-24-2010, 05:40 PM.

Comment

It shouldn't be anything to worry about. It's simply checking the server every so often to update the data on the page (like if you have new friend requests or something). Completely normal activity for sites that update via JavaScript (eg, a lot of interactive sites).
              You just shouldn't leave your browser open during gaming. The JavaScript running in the background will not only, depending on the site, hog up your internet connection a bit, but also requires computing power from your Processor.

Someone recently mentioned to me that Facebook IM didn't actually use Comet/R-AJAX, at least at first, but that it used long polling. Not sure if that's changed (I don't use Facebook, so I wouldn't know).

Comment

Originally posted by Celestial1 View Post
                It shouldn't be anything to worry about. It's simply checking the server every so often to update the data on the page (like if you have new friend requests or something). Completely normal activity for sites that update via JavaScript (eg, a lot of interactive sites).
                You just shouldn't leave your browser open during gaming. The JavaScript running in the background will not only, depending on the site, hog up your internet connection a bit, but also requires computing power from your Processor.

Someone recently mentioned to me that Facebook IM didn't actually use Comet/R-AJAX, at least at first, but that it used long polling. Not sure if that's changed (I don't use Facebook, so I wouldn't know).
                You said exactly what I was going to say.

Facebook is just noisy.
                Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

I'm not sure about facebook chat using AJAX either. Somehow I don't think so...I wish it would.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X