Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

black hawk down and half life 2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • black hawk down and half life 2

    i think it's obvious that i'm not the only one seeing this analogy. but today i saw black hawk down...it's really equivalent to the combines taking over city 17 in half life 2 and how the resistance came together to fight the combines. i think it's really similar to the true story in somalia. but then i was wondering, who was the good guy and who was the bad guy? i'm an american so at first glance: we americans. but really though, why were we there in the first place?

  • #2
    Re: black hawk down and half life 2

    The war lord that rules the city and was taking the food from the people when it was supposed to be for the people given to them by the U.N.

    I also think that the war lord's soldiers killed a few U.N. soldiers and/or workers, so the U.S. Army Rangers and Delta Force (I believe) were called in to put an end to this guy and capture some of his men.

    Also, if you remember in the movie, they showed a mule dragging a cart around the city when 2 of the soldiers left behind were running around. The war lord was in that cart and that was his escape. Clever mother****er... ;)
    I'm not the Killer Man...
    I'm the Killer Man's son...
    But I'll do the killing...
    Until the Killer Man comes...

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: black hawk down and half life 2

      damn, really though, the movie made it look as if we were struggling our asses off there. in real life, was it really THAT bad? the americans were dying here and there.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: black hawk down and half life 2

        ^^^^^Somalis aren't really the best shots in the world. Also a littlebird is nothing to laugh at. Neither is D Force and Army Rangers. The battle was that bad one of the men there mentioned it was the bigger then any firefight he was in Vietnam.
        RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
        TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
        7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
        "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
        "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

        [tg-c1]

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: black hawk down and half life 2

          It was supposed to be a 30 minute extraction, it turned into a 16+ hour firefight with a few thousand drugged up Somali's against no more than 160 Rangers and Delta Force.

          19 dead
          73 wounded

          It was bad.


          This will fill in the cracks and answer most of your questions.

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Mogadishu
          I'm not the Killer Man...
          I'm the Killer Man's son...
          But I'll do the killing...
          Until the Killer Man comes...

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: black hawk down and half life 2

            I remember when the history channel did a show about the whole thing, which included recorded overhead footage of the firefight. One of the soldiers they talked to said that it was the worst thing he's ever experienced, and he was pretty much just waiting to die.

            It'd be nice if the US would learn from experiences like this and Vietnam and stop getting involved in civil wars. Guess that's too much to ask for, though.
            [squadl]
            "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: black hawk down and half life 2

              Originally posted by Nightfire
              damn, really though, the movie made it look as if we were struggling our asses off there. in real life, was it really THAT bad? the americans were dying here and there.
              Get the book. I was 2/3 finished with the book when the movie was released. I was amazed how accurate the movie actually was. My former boss was spec op and a combat medic. He said Blackhawk down is the most accutate account of battle he has ever read. Another book I highly recommend is Bravo Two Zero.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: black hawk down and half life 2

                Originally posted by SmokingTarpan
                It'd be nice if the US would learn from experiences like this and Vietnam and stop getting involved in civil wars. Guess that's too much to ask for, though.
                In general I agree with you. In the case of Somalia, not so much. I believe one of the lines of text at the beginning of the film says something about marines going in and food being delivered, and order restored. I say believe, I know I'm right because I've seen the film loads of times. Sending troops in to get food to starving people can never be a bad thing. Somalia was no Iraq.

                Root
                BFCL TF2 league admin

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: black hawk down and half life 2

                  Originally posted by Root
                  In the case of Somalia, not so much. I believe one of the lines of text at the beginning of the film says something about marines going in and food being delivered, and order restored.
                  Basically the UN was shipping food into the country, and Aidid was seizing it at the ports and using it to starve out those he was at war with. The USMC showed up and restored order, delivering food and such. Aidid waited until the Marines left, then seized the food shipments again, even launching a raid that killed a bunch of UN peacekeepers. This brought about the mission to capture him, and the resulting Blackhawk Down story.

                  Yes, starving people is bad. But we shouldn't interefere in civil war for any reason; let the country fight it out alone. We went in there and what did we get? Nineteen dead, scores wounded, nothing achieved. In the end, we just pulled out our troops, embargoed the hell out of the country, and let the fighting continue as we should have in the first place. Not something I'm happy about losing American lives for.
                  [squadl]
                  "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: black hawk down and half life 2

                    Originally posted by SmokingTarpan
                    yes, starving people is bad. But we shouldn't interefere in civil war for any reason; let the country fight it out alone. We went in there and what did we get? Nineteen dead, scores wounded, nothing achieved. In the end, we just pulled out our troops, embargoed the hell out of the country, and let the fighting continue as we should have in the first place. Not something I'm happy about losing American lives for.
                    In Kosovo we went in and prevented a genocide. That is a clear cut case of correct use of military force. Standing by with an I'm Alright Jack attitude while people die needlessly is unaceptable.

                    OK in some cases we can't or shouldn't intervene, but you can't just say we never should.
                    Wintermute

                    Play EVE online. It's like being an accounting addict in space.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: black hawk down and half life 2

                      Originally posted by 4est
                      Get the book. I was 2/3 finished with the book when the movie was released. I was amazed how accurate the movie actually was. My former boss was spec op and a combat medic. He said Blackhawk down is the most accutate account of battle he has ever read. Another book I highly recommend is Bravo Two Zero.

                      i read both the books and saw both movies and saw both docs on history channel and I have to saw that those two movies are the best.

                      (\__/)
                      (O.o )
                      (> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: black hawk down and half life 2

                        Originally posted by iceman369
                        i read both the books and saw both movies and saw both docs on history channel and I have to saw that those two movies are the best.
                        Bravo Two Zero was made into a movie???? I had no idea. I really messed up by not going to the Barnes and Noble when I lived in Huntsville, AL on the day that the Blackhawk pilot was there. I would really like to shake that man's hand.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: black hawk down and half life 2

                          The first person mentioned on this page, Clay Othic, was my firearms instructor at my academy. He didn't talk much about Somalia, but he is contributing to the author of this story: http://inquirer.philly.com/packages/.../default26.asp
                          Become a supporting member!
                          Buy a Tactical Duck!
                          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: black hawk down and half life 2

                            " He had opened up from the turret of his humvee with the powerful .50-cal, and one of the rounds turned a chicken into a puff of feathers."

                            :icon_lol:
                            I'm not the Killer Man...
                            I'm the Killer Man's son...
                            But I'll do the killing...
                            Until the Killer Man comes...

                            Comment

                            Connect

                            Collapse

                            TeamSpeak 3 Server

                            Collapse

                            Advertisement

                            Collapse

                            Twitter Feed

                            Collapse

                            Working...
                            X