Tron: Legacy and the 3D World

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tron: Legacy and the 3D World

Forgive me if my writing is a bit messed up but its 10 to 3 in the morning and i cant sleep because of a annoying headcold. But just coming from Tron: Legacy i wanted to hear your opinions on the movie and 3D. Personally i love the newer 3D in movies, not the post production 3D but the actual 3D cameras. Movies like Clash of the Titans were filmed by regular cameras and the 3D was all post production..magic? It came out more like a cardboard cut out popping out rather then the life like 3D as seen in Tron.

Now personally im not a huge fan of the Tron series, probably because when the original Tron came out i wasn't even born yet.The only reason i went to see it was for Olivia Wilde (Quorra) who by the way was AMAZINGLY HOT in it (celeb crush, im guilty!),i actually didn't mind the movie. The 3D was amazing to say the least and the disc battle type game was pretty cool too.

Despite Olivia's radiance on screen, i have a few quarrels with the movie. First off, Disney went above and beyond with "hey check out how cool this is gonna be" trailers and teasers. I was expecting it to be like holy wtf bbq blow my socks off good. Unfortunately it wants that, but it was still good so yeah, i was a bit disappointed with that. Also, because i wasnt a previous fan to the series, i found it a bit difficult to follow the plot of the movie (partly due to the fact i was dumbfounded by the 3D) and it wasn't till the end when i was able to collect all that id seen to make some sense of it.

I don't know if any of you have seen it, but im guessing quite a few have because most of the people in this forum seem to be old enough to know of Tron. Probably even spent their allowances in a few short hours playing the arcade game... anyways those are my thoughts on Tron and some of my thoughts of 3D. Im really looking forward to more movies filmed in PROPER 3D (yeah im talkin to you Clash of the Titans!) which hopefully, will be holy wtf bbq blow my socks off good.(Like avatar!)
    sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Re: Tron: Legacy and the 3D World

Let me start by saying I loved Tron, thought it was an awesome movie.

But the 3D sucked. Hardly noticed the 3D effects and ended up taking the glasses off half-way through the movie as they made things a bit foggy and unclear.

Movies properly filmed in 3D can be cool, but it was a waste of money to see Tron in 3D. Save the $3 and go to a 2D showing if you haven't seen it already.

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

Hmm....I thought the 3D was fantastic. I loved it. It didn't annoy me like 3D of the past, but really seemed to fit in my mind. I saw it on launch day in normal RealD 3D then the next day in IMAX 3D. I would not have like it near as much if I had seen it in 2D I don't think. Personally, I loved the story and perhaps that is because I always liked the original.

Anyway, that was my experience.

Comment

Glasses suck. Period.

I have been stuck wearing the ****ing things since I was 9 and I refuse to pay for OR wear a second pair on top of them because Hollywood is hemorrhaging money, again, and they feel justified in reviving a flash-in-the-pan cash grab from the 1980s to save themselves from their atrociously bad production of the last 10 years. It's stupid. It's insulting. I wish it would die and go away forever.

Call me when they actually INNOVATE and say, commercialize holography, rather than revive a stupid gimmick from 30 years ago.

Comment

3D can look amazing but it really depends where you go see it. The movie theater where they reuse glasses and clean them is a no go. Go to those Real3D places where the glasses are disposable. That said, I haven't seen Tron: Legacy yet. However I'll offer my feelings on 3D, it just plain sucks. It's a novelty at the movie theater and pretty cool but beyond that is just plain sucks. The technology isn't there. Dim scenes are too dark. Also having to rely on glasses for the medium is just plain sucky, if I want to take off my glasses and watch the movie, by god I should be able to.

I hope 3D televisions die in a fire.

Comment

It's not like I have a bitching Tron thread already started or anything......

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/general...0460-tron.html
            |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

Originally posted by TurkishDelight View Post
              It's not like I have a bitching Tron thread already started or anything......
              True but this is more on the commentary of 3D as per the tittle suggests.

Comment

Tangentially-relevant photo courtesy of Chive:

Comment

I've seen Tron three times now, once in IMAX 3D, once in "normal" 3d, and once in "normal" 2d. The transition to 3d is handled, in my opinion, correctly. It isn't gimmicky, it doesn't use those cheap thrills of having something pop out at you, and it wasn't done as a cheap moneygrab.

In much the same way avatar used it (the thing it did well, as an aside), it was used in small ways, hard to notice, but impossible to miss once you've noticed. Some scenes and elements in scenes gained an extra layer of immersion. One particularly potent example from avatar is during the log recordings, the computer generated elements such as time markers and filenames are slightly forward of the camera, as though they really were generated and overlayed on a camera recording. In Tron, the 3d was used to move some of the fireworks in the lightcycle arena forward and some backward.

It's these incredibly subtle uses of the technology that really help further the immersion of the world, and it's this new, subtle 3d that is worth watching. Just because you can make an object jump out at the audience, doesn't mean you should. As for the glasses flarfig, I also wear glasses, similarly for a very long time, and at least for the IMAX, they now have specialty models that fit comfortably over your eyewear. My frames are gratuitously large, I would compare them to aviators in size, and the 3d glasses fit fine and didn't constrict my temples at all. It's important to help encourage this tech to move along, as it will surely mature the further along it gets. It's also highly possible that as the tech progresses, other glasses will be able to help bring out the stereoscopic effect.

Also, fun fantasy.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X