Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Social Media Internet Law Enforcement (SMILE)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Social Media Internet Law Enforcement (SMILE)

Video of SMILE Conference held January 10-12 2011:

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/11942832

There's some stuff here about shooting video of cops, sites that document misbehaving cops, and advice for cops posting on websites. It touches on a lot of different threads in the Sandbox.

Information about conference:

http://lawscommunications.com/smile/
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Re: Social Media Internet Law Enforcement (SMILE)

I got to say that police adopting social media has been great. Our city has really started using some technology from the 21st century. It's not necessarily twitter or facebook, but simple things like sending out SMS messages about important police and city functions. We've also adopted CrimeReports.com which is a wonderful site that displays crime that's happened on a google-like map. Police are able to identify what kind of crime it is from assault to car theft, and it's all there for the public to view. There's still a lot of room for improvement but it's nice to see cities and law enforcement evolve for the community they serve. It's especially hard when the community is evolving much faster adapting new technology faster than law enforcement is.

Comment

For the click-lazy:

http://www.crimereports.com/

It emails you a report each day of all the crimes in your neighborhood. The link in each email takes you to a Google map with icons detailing each crime. You can also fiddle with calendar controls to see crimes over a duration, like the first two weeks of December. You can define a neighborhood boundary and register Logitech webcams and group with others in your vicinity to create a virtual neighborhood watch.

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
        For the click-lazy:

http://www.crimereports.com/

It emails you a report each day of all the crimes in your neighborhood. The link in each email takes you to a Google map with icons detailing each crime. You can also fiddle with calendar controls to see crimes over a duration, like the first two weeks of December. You can define a neighborhood boundary and register Logitech webcams and group with others in your vicinity to create a virtual neighborhood watch.
        Wow, I'm surrounded by registered sex offenders, literally. I have three of them within 4 blocks from my house. Thanks a lot ScratchMonkey, I'm not sure if I really wanted to know that. :)

That is an interesting site though, thanks for the link.
        |TG-X| mp40x

Register for the Forums! | Get on Teamspeak! | Play Squad! | Join Discord! | Support Tactical Gamer!

Comment

The problem with those registries is that they list people for "innocent" things like pissing on the side of the road or even sexting while underage. I see them as worthless.

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
            The problem with those registries is that they list people for "innocent" things like pissing on the side of the road or even sexting while underage. I see them as worthless.
            The registry lists the conviction. "Sexual assault of a child: contact" is vastly different from "indecent exposure", at least in Texas it is...
            Become a supporting member!
            Buy a Tactical Duck!
            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I will say unfortunately Crimereports doesn't list the offense, but they do have a link to the appropriate list where you can look it up if you are indeed worried. I'm surprised that none of the sex offenders in my town are caught just on indecent exposure or something as harmless as that.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X