Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tracking sex offenders with GPS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Tracking sex offenders with GPS

    Here in Pittsburgh about 40 released sex offenders are now wearing GPS tracking bracelets that go off if they enter "exclusion zones". Here's the story on KDKA's website. This is a part of a pilot program for the city and I'm not to thrilled about it to be happening, here or otherwise.

    This has got two main, striking issues: Government sanctioned and/or approved tracking of individuals, and the harsh treatment of released sex offenders.

    I'll be blunt, I'm not too big a fan of what the sex offender registry has become and am bothered by each new bit of punishment that gets tacked on after incarceration. To me, this just seems to be the exact opposite of how a state that runs its correctional institutions as places of reform, to be treating those who have completed their terms of imprisonment.
    BF 2142:|TG| Birdman10113
    CoD4: |TG|Birdman

    Let's put the badges here...

  • #2
    Re: Tracking sex offenders with GPS

    I would agree but I also know that way too many sex offenders live or hang out way too close to parks and schools and there simply isn't enough manpower to check on the shear number of individuals. I don't like the sex offender registry listing all of the sex offenders, especially for simple things as indecent exposure.

    Also I want to point out it's 43, and not nearly the large majority of offenders. These are repeat offenders who have repeatedly broken these rules and done the most heinous of crimes. To me, they lost their rights to being a rehabilitated citizen when they repeated the offense and went back to jail. If it were up to me, I'd say longer incarceration since they're not getting the message and probably don't let them out. Maybe we can develop a reservation system where they simply aren't allowed in any town with families involved.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Tracking sex offenders with GPS

      Originally posted by Sirusblk View Post
      I would agree but I also know that way too many sex offenders live or hang out way too close to parks and schools and there simply isn't enough manpower to check on the shear number of individuals. I don't like the sex offender registry listing all of the sex offenders, especially for simple things as indecent exposure.
      And it would be well and good and the police would deserve a pat on the back, if that actually affected recidivism rates. A Minnesota study (.pdf can be found here) from 2007 found that none, not a single instance, of the sex-offenders they tracked made first contact with a victim near a school, daycare, what-have-you. And heck, for over half in that study, contact was made from some adult third party.

      Also I want to point out it's 43, and not nearly the large majority of offenders. These are repeat offenders who have repeatedly broken these rules and done the most heinous of crimes.
      From where are you pulling that little factoid out of? Both in the article and my opening post I said that this was a pilot program. And no where in the article did it state it's methodology for choosing "participants". For all we know they choose the first 43 sex offenders to be released from prison into the Pittsburgh metro.

      To me, they lost their rights to being a rehabilitated citizen when they repeated the offense and went back to jail. If it were up to me, I'd say longer incarceration since they're not getting the message and probably don't let them out. Maybe we can develop a reservation system where they simply aren't allowed in any town with families involved.
      No. If they are no longer in prison, why should they continue to be punished? Our criminal justice program is built to ensure, to the best of its abilities, that those convicted of crime do not recommit, or that should be at its foundations.
      BF 2142:|TG| Birdman10113
      CoD4: |TG|Birdman

      Let's put the badges here...

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Tracking sex offenders with GPS

        ...43 of them are now wearing monitoring devices as a condition of their parole.

        District Attorney Stephen Zappala blames the nature of the crime for the need to better track these offenders.

        “Because the psychology of the crime of the criminal actually is, they will re-offend and so we’re looking at persons who are recidivists,” Zappala said.
        If these devices come along with probation for repeat offenders, then there isn't much to complain about. Probation is freedom in lieu of jail-time. If they don't want to wear the devices, they can sit their asses in prison for the rest of their sentence.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Tracking sex offenders with GPS

          Originally posted by Birdman1011395 View Post
          And it would be well and good and the police would deserve a pat on the back, if that actually affected recidivism rates. A Minnesota study (.pdf can be found here) from 2007 found that none, not a single instance, of the sex-offenders they tracked made first contact with a victim near a school, daycare, what-have-you. And heck, for over half in that study, contact was made from some adult third party.
          That's all well and dandy but my point still stands, there is still plenty of sex offenders breaking the conditions of their parole/freedom. The point is they're not free they're on parole which is limited freedom at best. If I was too look up right now CrimeReports.com and see a list of sex offenders I could find ones living behind schools and right next door to parks. I'm sorry but that's not okay and is breaking the terms of their parole. An electronic monitoring anklet helps enforce this rather than requiring countless officers to babysit offenders.

          Originally posted by Birdman1011395 View Post
          From where are you pulling that little factoid out of? Both in the article and my opening post I said that this was a pilot program. And no where in the article did it state it's methodology for choosing "participants". For all we know they choose the first 43 sex offenders to be released from prison into the Pittsburgh metro.
          Like Gill already pointed out, and the quote:
          More than 1,100 registered sex offenders live and work in Allegheny County and 43 of them are now wearing monitoring devices as a condition of their parole.
          They picked out 43 as conditions of their parole. Out of 1,100. They're not choosing those who got on the registry for indecent exposure, these are people who went to jail and are now out on parole.

          Originally posted by Birdman1011395 View Post
          No. If they are no longer in prison, why should they continue to be punished? Our criminal justice program is built to ensure, to the best of its abilities, that those convicted of crime do not recommit, or that should be at its foundations.
          In addition to what Gill already said, much like an dishonorable discharge from the military you are not returned back as a normal citizen with all of your rights in check.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Tracking sex offenders with GPS

            I'm uncomfortable increasing the surveillance of US citizens under any conditions, and I'm uncomfortable that any time a politician needs to be seen as tough on crime, they go and adds something past prison and rehabilitation for sex offenders. I'm not entirely comfortable with the sex offender registry lists either. However, if it is a condition of parole, that removes most of my general criticisms.
            I can ADS using more than a 2x without significant stutter! This was a good patch.

            Comment

            Connect

            Collapse

            TeamSpeak 3 Server

            Collapse

            Advertisement

            Collapse

            Twitter Feed

            Collapse

            Working...
            X