Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Women in combat MOS's?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Women in combat MOS's?

    http://www.military.com/news/article...n-combat-.html
    What are you guys thoughts in this? Should women be allowed combat jobs in the army?
    I find it ironic that currently they arent, and yet their allowed to fly fighter planes and attack helicopters. I have yet to hear how thats not a combat arms field.
    May you be covered in the dust of your Rabbi.

  • #2
    Re: Women in combat MOS's?

    Originally posted by SoloDaNINJA View Post
    http://www.military.com/news/article...n-combat-.html
    What are you guys thoughts in this? Should women be allowed combat jobs in the army?
    I find it ironic that currently they arent, and yet their allowed to fly fighter planes and attack helicopters. I have yet to hear how thats not a combat arms field.
    Don't have to carry heavy things, mostly. Also, it doesn't contrast with the unnecessary machismo and masculinity typically stereotyped with front-line infantry.

    My answer? Sure, let them, if they pass the same physical tests as the men. Yes, that means a far smaller portion of women will serve than men. They'll deal. My other problem? The ludicrously high rate of attempted rapes on armed forces women by their supposed male comrades. But then, if we actually dealt with rape cases instead of blowing them off, that wouldn't be an issue. Destroy the boys club mentality, and that goes away.
    I can ADS using more than a 2x without significant stutter! This was a good patch.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Women in combat MOS's?

      Raz... I couldn't agree more.

      How many fat, lazy dudes couldn't serve? LOADS.
      How many strong and fit women could serve? LOADS.

      As long as someone is up to the tasks, let them in! If they want to, why not?

      And concerning the rapes...
      Let those SOBs have their trails and don't just cover the whole thing up.
      (Bet they'd change their mind about rape when they're in the joint showering with a bunch of lonely guys)
      sigpic

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Women in combat MOS's?

        This decision has precisely zero to do with enhancing the combat effectiveness of front-line units. Read the report. It's all to do with "diversity in the force", as if the military was some sort of damn corporation. They give hand-waving evidence that women are just dandy in combat. It's more to satisfy statistics of minorities and females being "under-represented" in the rank structure of the various armed services.

        http://www.lineofdeparture.com/2011/...t-line-combat/
        http://mldc.whs.mil/index.php/draft-final-report
        Last edited by Gill; 01-15-2011, 01:30 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Women in combat MOS's?

          Originally posted by Gill View Post
          This decision has precisely zero to do with enhancing the combat effectiveness of front-line units. Read the report. It's all to do with "diversity in the force", as if the military was some sort of damn corporation. They give hand-waving evidence that women are just dandy in combat. It's more to satisfy statistics of minorities and females being "under-represented" in the rank structure of the various armed services.

          http://www.lineofdeparture.com/2011/...t-line-combat/
          http://mldc.whs.mil/index.php/draft-final-report
          If they pass the same tests as men, wouldn't the effectiveness of the armed forces increase by virtue of having a broader qualified pool?
          I can ADS using more than a 2x without significant stutter! This was a good patch.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Women in combat MOS's?

            The report is recommending that women be allowed into combat MOS's solely for the purpose of providing them a better route into senior leadership positions. Tactical officers are more likely to receive flag/general officer positions. Since this isn't fair, the commission has concluded that women are suited for ground warfare units. They include the stipulation of qualified applicants, but also include that "physical standards not be so unreasonably high that women cannot meet them".

            I guess "qualified" women making it into infantry units will be meeting the absolute minimum qualifying physical standards for males. Which is absolutely piss-poor and detrimental to the unit. No male is allowed to sit on their ass at the minimal physical standard, and if he proves incapable of improving himself, he's carted off to sit on his ass in the orderly room.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Women in combat MOS's?

              as you said, when they would pass thes same physical tests as the male comrades it would be ok. but in our armed forces the physical test for women are much less challenging then for male comrades.

              and an other problem is, that if a men sees a wounded women in combat, he would go for her to save her, what ever it costs. it is prooved, that a mens will to save a female is more emotional than to save a male one. so it is easier to loose the ability to think rational (just like clear the area first, then go for the comrade) in this cases.

              imo even male comrades would have problems to get me out of the bf, if i'm wounded (more than 100kg weight without equipment) so this isn't the point.

              Ingame name: TG-E1st Gromkara

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Women in combat MOS's?

                Originally posted by Groshak View Post
                and an other problem is, that if a men sees a wounded women in combat, he would go for her to save her, what ever it costs. it is prooved, that a mens will to save a female is more emotional than to save a male one. so it is easier to loose the ability to think rational (just like clear the area first, then go for the comrade) in this cases.
                IDF doesn't seem to have that problem.
                I can ADS using more than a 2x without significant stutter! This was a good patch.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Women in combat MOS's?

                  I dunno, the emotional stuff seems more subjective a critique against women in combat than the latter comment about a female being able to carry your 220 lbs. out of danger. I wouldn't think that the emotional response towards a wounded female comrade would be any less than seeing a wounded male comrade.

                  My problems with this study is that it bases its conclusions on pretty weak examples of women "performing in combat", such as the cited cook in the report having to pull guard duty. >.>

                  Also are the problems inherent with males and females having to live together in areas with close to zero private space. It's not very fun for the guys if they have to cram together into tight living quarters while the women give spacious accommodations solely on the basis that they have boobies. Also the "esprit" of males bonding together. A common thing to do to the new cherries in the unit is to have them go at each other in friendly (but competitive) combatives matches.

                  Looking at the big picture again, it is tough to imagine women getting any sort of "increased promotion rates" from being allowed in an infantry unit considering that earning the Ranger tab is a major litmus test for climbing the ranks. Unless they water down the standards for Ranger School as well.

                  EDIT: Israel does it, but most of Israel's infantry seem to man static security checkpoints. In a more proactive and projected force like the US military, a woman would have much more likely a chance to be involved in direct, offensive-oriented operations. How will they perform there?

                  As with everything, my complaints towards women in combat are geared towards their performance in the infantry. I haven't experienced other combat specialties such as armor or artillery, so can't comment on them.

                  Comment

                  Connect

                  Collapse

                  TeamSpeak 3 Server

                  Collapse

                  Advertisement

                  Collapse

                  Twitter Feed

                  Collapse

                  Working...
                  X