The Bears Talk China's Manipulated Currency

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Bears Talk China's Manipulated Currency

This wouldn't be funny if it weren't so true. The Chinese president is meeting Obama on Wednesday, I'm sure they'll have this fixed by Thursday morning. Right?
    |TG-X| mp40x

Register for the Forums! | Get on Teamspeak! | Play Squad! | Join Discord! | Support Tactical Gamer!

Re: The Bears Talk China's Manipulated Currency

What's funny is how much more effective cartoons are at conveying information than the written word. People creating them need to watch the length though. Attention span is short, so try to keep them to 2 minutes or less.
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

It's pretty good but I still would hate to live in China. They might make fun of our public school system but China doesn't have one to speak of. Their poverty is absolutely atrocious and because of their devalued dollar and artificial control of their economy they're building a tower out of a deck of cards. I shudder to think what will happen when the wind picks up.

Also it's not a good thing to have manufacturing plants in our country. I'm glad there are no more plastic factories here. It is a good thing. To see the return of this is silly. Instead we should focus on cultivating America into a more service oriented economy and stop focusing on the production side. Other nations need and can afford heavy industry and production to help their economy but frankly as an american I expect better conditions and will not live with such low standards.

Comment

Not everyone is cut out for "gold collar" brainy jobs in the service sector. A lot of people are sufficiently challenged by rote unchanging robotic jobs like those found in manufacturing. Without those jobs, that leaves stuff like flipping burgers.

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I believe the job of secretary has transformed from the equivalent of rocket science to working on an assembly line. There's still plenty of manufacturing that goes on in the US. The most manufacturing done outside of the US is hazardous and unsafe materials which are mostly handled by robots and machinery anyways. A service sector doesn't rely on telemarketing or jobs with good people skills. There are plenty of blue collar jobs in a service industry. We're a first world nation and we need more stuff moved around, removed, put in, installed, etc. than a 3rd world nation would. If an assembly line man isn't keen on getting any form of education he can still deliver packages, work in construction or heck work as an office aide. There are plenty of room for jobs in the public and private sector to stay in the US.

Comment

Hm, I take it you are not on the job market.

Comment

Originally posted by sordavie View Post
              Hm, I take it you are not on the job market.
              I'm not commenting on the current job climate. I realize how hard it is for some people to get jobs out there. I'm only stating the room for jobs, and there's plenty of it. I have a job and am quite happy there, but I firmly believe that if our economy was in better shape and we as a nation were thriving we do not need to rely on outsourced manufacturing jobs. There are plenty of job disciplines that will stay in the US. Hell Union Representatives is a real full time job with nice pay and benefits. I think that's a pretty good indication of just how many job titles are created in a service based industry.

In truth I don't have much sympathy for the unskilled workers that work at a nearby warehouse when a quarter of them were supposed to be laid off they went on strike. They don't have anything more than a high school diploma and are getting paid $30-40 an hour doing the workload it takes one third of them to do, with full benefits and thanks to their stubborn union a tenure like system.

Comment

So your claim is that if an economy were able to support enough jobs for everyone, skilled or otherwise, then everyone would have a job, whether it be a mixed secondary and tertiary or just a tertiary economy. Well, I can't fault the reasoning of that tautology.

Or perhaps you're claiming that there are so many service job titles that there surely must be enough service jobs to go around. A dubious claim, but at least it's not a mere tautology.

Whether you feel the state of certain job paths are unjust in some strange sense has no bearing on what kind of economy would be best for this country given the sort of population, resources, and international relations it has.

How about we just deport or execute all the unnecessary unskilled people. Then we wouldn't have to worry about them not finding jobs. Or better yet, let's just execute everyone who's unemployed. Then there will be a job for each and every person, for sure!

Comment

You're misunderstanding my point. Unskilled workers complaining they can't get another Unskilled job? Shocker. People working on assembly lines that literally requires a day of training before hand think that flipping burgers is beneath them not in terms of pay but in terms of job classification? Please. I am sorry some manufacturing jobs have left the US. There's plenty the US can do to to fix that. But I still think that we're better off that many of these crude industries have left the US. Like I've already stated I am so glad there are no more plastic factories in the US. It's simply a dirty business with all sorts of health concerns. If China wants that business then fine by them.

I don't think that the outsourcing of manufacturing jobs is as damning as political pundit's would claim it is. It's just another talking point that guides everyone away from the real problem. I'm not claiming outsourcing isn't a problem but focusing only on raw manufacturing is simply delusional.

Comment

... Well it's a good thing you have very little say in how the economy goes. :)

Comment

Originally posted by sordavie View Post
                      ... Well it's a good thing you have very little say in how the economy goes. :)
                      That's a good point :) But I'm sure those in charge aren't ideal either :P

Comment

There's someone in charge? I thought it was a distributed system. That's why if you try to restrict employment in one place (eg. through regulation in the US), it pops up somewhere else (eg. in China and India). If you outlaw drugs from crossing the border legally, they leak through the border by other means. The black market IS the free market.

http://freedomschool.org/2010/10/01/...e-free-market/

Comment

Our government can still do much in the way of tariffs and taxation on imports to stimulate economic growth from within our country to compete with the world market. Regulations such as 50% of the manufacturing of cars sold in the US must occur in the US are good ideas. It is a delicate process and one that requires some good political maneuvering. I feel like more can be done.

Comment

It seems like whack-a-mole to me. Domestic union labor is expensive. If you force cars to be made in the US, you either drive the price up or the quantity down. Return on investment from making cars goes down, so investors shift their money to some less-controlled sector. I don't think we'd see a large increase in domestic labor.

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
                              Domestic union labor is expensive. If you force cars to be made in the US, you either drive the price up or the quantity down.
                              Precisely my point. Our money goes to China where labor is cheap and a dollar there goes a lot further for it's citizens. I don't like the idea of jobs or our economy leaving the US. Tariffs in the past have proven very effective if done right. The sad thing is that we simply haven't given it a good try in quite a while. It couldn't hurt. Besides if in the US it has to pass inspection we can ensure the quality much better than simply leaving it to China. We have tariffs in place designed to protect a large section of our economy but companies have outmaneuvered our government for a long time. It's time for our government to crack down on this and enforce stricter limitations. I'm against bureaucracy but it seems that when economic interests are involved, companies are always willing to abuse the intent of the law to further their own ends and in the end hurt our country as a whole.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X