Your mom hates this game

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your mom hates this game

I think this is brilliant marketing to the young teen market. My mom was definitely like the ones depicted.

http://kotaku.com/5734960/for-electr...ke-to-frighten

Check out the Kotaku link for links to detailed video reactions of specific moms.

http://yourmomhatesthis.com/

EA is also running a contest in which you take video of your own mom's reactions and then tweet them.
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Re: Your mom hates this game

The problem, though, is that the game is supposed to be rated for adults. So EA is effectively admitting that they're not interested in honoring the ratings system, and that gives weight to those complaining about violent games being made available to youth.

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
      The problem, though, is that the game is supposed to be rated for adults. So EA is effectively admitting that they're not interested in honoring the ratings system, and that gives weight to those complaining about violent games being made available to youth.
      I'm an adult. My mom still wouldn't like me playing this game, because that's how she is.

I think it's wonderful marketing.

Comment

That's kind of an excessive conclusion to take and is reading into it a little too much. "Advertised Premise: Game will scare your mother. -> Drawn Conclusion: Buy this, 10 year olds!" Though yes, I don't think many 18+ people necessarily base their video game purchases on the "mom disgust barometer", so that particular aspect is probably a little silly to use over their intended message.

Hell, if this particular form of marketing goes more viral, it'll probably result in less purchases by oblivious parents for their manipulating children. (Note: Exactly the opposite conclusion you've taken.)

Comment

My mom doesn't appreciate gore, action, jokes about flattulence, or really many of my interests. The truth is I'm not looking to grab the game just because my mom wouldn't like to see me play it, but because I loved the first one to death and my mom probably wouldn't have liked that either. As a meter of sorts I think the signs of DeadSpace 2 are awesome. It is a game where shocking scenes are meant to surprise you and sometimes disturb. As far as horror games go it's not the scariest or the goriest. Truth is Gears of War is probably worse. "No mom, it's a good idea to chainsaw the enemy huminioids with your gun-saw"

Comment

Flarf, I hope you're right.

Comment

Sounds just like cheap PR to me...

Why would I care what my mom likes or dislikes?
              (She still would hand me my ass in Tetris and Dr. Mario...)
              sigpic

Comment

My criteria for games don't include much in the way of visual elements, so gore or horror don't factor. In fact, I'm annoyed at bogey man media where the gimmick is monsters jumping out of the dark at me. (I wasn't a big fan of the original Alien movie for that reason.) For me, strategy and story are important. I loved Tribes 2 because of its command screen, of which the commander screen in BF2 is a weak imitation. Half-Life and its many derivations excelled in story content.

Comment

My criteria for games don't include much in the way of visual elements, so gore or horror don't factor. In fact, I'm annoyed at bogey man media where the gimmick is monsters jumping out of the dark at me. (I wasn't a big fan of the original Alien movie for that reason.) For me, strategy and story are important. I loved Tribes 2 because of its command screen, of which the commander screen in BF2 is a weak imitation. Half-Life and its many derivations excelled in story content.
                  I hear that, if anything I really liked the gritty Sci-Fi of the original Dead Space the most. The fact was it was everything I wanted from an Adventure game. I played the game conserving my ammo and sometimes running away from fights. I explored an awesome Space Craft and got to play with cool guns in a cool environment. The RPG elements, cool narrative and the world that just sucked me in.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X