Why Cops Aren't Whistleblowers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Cops Aren't Whistleblowers

Interesting article from my favorite writer at Reason Magazine, Radley Balko.

The shameful stop snitchin’ campaign among the men in blue

It may be true that abusive cops are few and far between, as police organizations typically claim. The problem is that other cops rarely hold them accountable. Perhaps that’s because they know they will be treated the way Max Seifert was. For all the concern about the “Stop Snitchin’ ” message within the hip-hop community, police have engaged in a far more impactful and pernicious Stop Snitchin’ campaign of their own. It’s called the Blue Wall of Silence.
    I love this story, good grief.

Consider New York City police officer Adrian Schoolcraft. Schoolcraft was concerned about quotas for stops and arrests imposed by his commanding officers. Worse, some officers had been instructed to downgrade offenses, or even talk victims out of pressing charges, to make the city’s crime statistics look better. NYPD officials publicly denied there was any quota system or data fudging, but that didn’t jibe with what Schoolcraft was hearing in the station house. So he surreptitiously recorded commanding officers giving the instructions. According to The Village Voice, he brought his complaints to “a duty captain, a district surgeon, an NYPD psychologist, three Internal Affairs officers, and five department crime statistics auditors.” None of them took action against the officers imposing the quotas.

But the department did take action against Schoolcraft. Last October a SWAT team appeared at Schoolcraft’s Queens apartment, threw him to the floor, handcuffed him, and had him forcibly admitted to the psychiatric ward at Jamaica Hospital. NYPD officials lied to hospital staff about Schoolcraft’s condition, causing him to be held for six days against his will. Officially, the visit to Schoolcraft’s apartment was prompted by an unapproved sick day. But that does not explain the show of force or the removal of documents related to the quotas from Schoolcraft’s home. Full article
    |TG-X| mp40x

Register for the Forums! | Get on Teamspeak! | Play Squad! | Join Discord! | Support Tactical Gamer!

Re: Why Cops Aren't Whistleblowers

Changing the topic a bit here. I couldn't believe this story.

L.A. school officer faked shooting story, LAPD says

Los Angeles school police officer who said he was shot by an attacker last week, prompting a manhunt that shut down a large swath of Woodland Hills, has been arrested on suspicion of concocting the story, authorities said Thursday night.

The startling revelation came at a hastily called news conference by Los Angeles Police Chief Charlie Beck, who said detectives became suspicious about the officer's story as they investigated the case.

A terse Beck said Los Angeles School Police Department Officer Jeff Stenroos had been booked on a felony charge of filing a false police report. He declined to elaborate further on the case, which the head of the Los Angeles Police Protective League called an "embarrassment to law enforcement."
    This might not be the best time to pick on the cops though, as they're not having a good year so far.

Police Shootings Put Cities, Cops On Alert

It's been a bloody start to 2011 for law enforcement. In a bizarre sequence of events, 11 officers in five states were shot in a 24-hour period between Sunday and Monday of this week. The most brazen attack happened in Detroit where a gunman opened fire inside a police precinct.
    |TG-X| mp40x

Register for the Forums! | Get on Teamspeak! | Play Squad! | Join Discord! | Support Tactical Gamer!

Comment

This was an interesting read a few years ago, when someone blowing the whistle on the Los Angeles police got harassed, had her book in progress seized, and did hard time for a crime (soliciting) largely ignored by law enforcement.

http://www.amazon.com/Cop-Call-Girl-...mm_hrd_title_0
      Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Detroit police release video of ambush on station

Detroit police video of precinct shoot-out: Disturbing video footage was released by Detroit Police Chief Ralph Godbee on Friday, Jan. 28, 2011, showing the rampage as Lamar Moore entered a police station Jan. 23 and shot four officers before he was killed in return fire.
        |TG-X| mp40x

Comment

I'm reminded of Arnold Schwarzenegger doing that in the first Terminator movie. Life imitating art?
          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

While I'd say thats a far freaking cry from terminator, the thought crossed my mind too.

Thats crazy... god bless them... even if I don't believe... (I can't think of a similiar agnostic phrase).

Still the OP is a sad story and I'd love to see what this is all about.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X