If cars were treated like guns

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If cars were treated like guns

Americans are infatuated with guns. And when youíre infatuated, you sometimes canít think straight. Maybe thatís why, three weeks after the Tucson shootings that shook the nation, weíre still no closer to banning oversize magazines like the 33-bullet model allegedly used there. Maybe it will help clarify issues if we imagine an alternate universe ó one in which Americans exhibit their toughness not with assault weapons but with assault vehicles, a world in which our torrid libertarian passion is not for our guns but for our cars. That alternate universe might look like this:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/30/o...30kristof.html
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Re: If cars were treated like guns

Eh...

Gun-control proponents really have a hard-on about getting a ban those "assault weapons", don't they?

Comment

Yuup.

The second amendmant, imo, has been purturbed well beyond its original intent; the right to form a militia. Teddy Rosevelt, the biggest gun loving warmongering president of the US stated that the second ammendment was outdated with the creation of the national gaurd.

-----

I digress. Guns aren't all bad and many other things are lethal too; but why do we defend the assault weapons? Weapons who have no place but a battlefield. Why defend 30 bullet magazines? Why would we rather have everyone with a gun than no one?

Do we miss the wild west that much?

Comment

Assault weapons?

Oh yes, a rifle with a bayonet lug, flash suppressor, pistol grip, and adjustable stock.

Yes, lets ban those because your standard, non-assaultish looking, semi-auto, hunting/sporting rifle is incapable of inflicting harm against innocent people.

It's only a danger to people if it looks scary right?

Comment

I personally do not bother arguing much one way or the other about gun control, but in this case I must ask; is there any reason why not to ban extended magazines?

Former TG-21st
          Swift Mobile On Target

Comment

It turns out that there wasn't all that much gun violence in the "wild west." Much of the stories we hear about shootouts in the wild west were actually concocted or exaggerated by writers looking for make money, as those kinds of stories were popular at the time. For instance, Billy the Kid was considered one of the most notorious gunslinger outlaws in the wild west, with many victims to his name. But actually, historians tell us that most likely Billy the Kid only killed 4 people. Most of his notoriety was made up.

Comment

Originally posted by Harlequin View Post
              Assault weapons?

Oh yes, a rifle with a bayonet lug, flash suppressor, pistol grip, and adjustable stock.
              Yeah those are pretty superficial. It's pretty sad that my .22LR would be considered an assault rifle if the adjustable stock weren't permanently pinned. Even California's assault weapon ban have .22LRs as an exception. But what about a high cap removable magazine? That is a feature one would want for a weapon to be used in an assault. It's not a superficial feature; and that's the feature that the author centers his complaint on.

Comment

Originally posted by MacLeod View Post
                I personally do not bother arguing much one way or the other about gun control, but in this case I must ask; is there any reason why not to ban extended magazines?
                A number of states already do.

Comment

Originally posted by MacLeod View Post
                  On that I don't care one way or the other. What I don't like is the banning of standard capacity mags. My carry pistol holds 10+1 instead of 12+1 because I live in NY.

Besides, with a little practice, a reload and slide release should take no more than two seconds, competition shooters can do it in less than one.

Comment

Assault weapons?

Yes, lets ban those because your standard, non-assaultish looking, semi-auto, hunting/sporting rifle is incapable of inflicting harm against innocent people.

It's only a danger to people if it looks scary right?
                    But the above article is stating the same argument for vehicles. No matter what type of vehicle you have you can kill some one with it so why not just legalize assault vehicles? That is what your sarcasm is suggesting.

------

The kid from Tuscon wasn't a trained killer, he just used one large magazine before being subdued. That one large magazine allowed for him to inflict greater harm than a smaller one would. Some crazies will go to lengths to perfect their spree, others wont. Why make it easier?

Comment

Yes I read the article. By all means, legalize assault vehicles.

The whole whole article is sarcasm BTW.

Would anyone really care if someone really stuck a bayonet on a car? I've seen some hideous hood ornaments that almost qualify.

Does it make it any more dangerous if said vehicle runs someone over?

That article is contradicted by it's own argument.

Comment

Originally posted by Ytman View Post
                        The kid from Tuscon wasn't a trained killer, he just used one large magazine before being subdued. That one large magazine allowed for him to inflict greater harm than a smaller one would. Some crazies will go to lengths to perfect their spree, others wont. Why make it easier?
                        Lets say he didn't have a hi-cap mag, or how about no pistol at all, because super-strict gun laws kept it out of his hands. But he still wishes to harm people though, so he goes to his local True Value, picks up some galvanized pipe, some endcaps, ammonium nitrate, and some safe & sane fireworks to make a pipe bomb to throw into the crowd.

Whats that? Ban all plumbing supplies, and fertilizers? Well he could always mow down the whole crowd with his "assault vehicle" right?

If someone is intent on killing innocent people, they are going to find a way to do it, firearms or no.

Anyways like I said, ban the 30 round mag, but it had better be banned worldwide. Banning the manufacture, sale, or import of items in the US isn't going to keep them out of the hands of bad guys who want them, just the good guys that follow the rules.

Comment

Lets say he didn't have a hi-cap mag, or how about no pistol at all, because super-strict gun laws kept it out of his hands. But he still wishes to harm people though, so he goes to his local True Value, picks up some galvanized pipe, some endcaps, ammonium nitrate, and some safe & sane fireworks to make a pipe bomb to throw into the crowd.
                          That's assuming he knows how to do all that and can do so without blowing himself up in the process. Firearms do make it a hell of a lot easier to kill someone. It is literally as easy as point and shoot. The fact is it is much much easier to get a gun than it is to apply for a job. Why is that?

Anyways like I said, ban the 30 round mag, but it had better be banned worldwide. Banning the manufacture, sale, or import of items in the US isn't going to keep them out of the hands of bad guys who want them, just the good guys that follow the rules.
                          False reasoning. If it is sold illegally on the black market it is actually that much harder to get a hold of. Saying that if a 30 round mag was banned, he would have still gotten a hold of it is a fallacious statement and one that can't be proven.

Also while we're on the subject of what is stupidly not banned, how about silencers? Really who needs silencers for their right to posses a firearm?

Comment

Extended magazines were already banned before. That didn't stop a lot of people from getting them. What happened was there was loopholes in the statute. NEW extended magazines were illegal to sell to someone, and it was illegal to manufacture new ones. What did gun enthusiasts (the people who go all out to customize stuff and don't really use them, like "computer enthusiasts" that are all about OC'ing their rigs to the highest degree and throwing it all away 3 months later when a new chip comes out) do? They simply stockpiled magazines before the ban. Then they sold them (at a high price) as curiosities or antiques, which got around the law. It meant that I could no longer buy a 75 round round magazine for my AK47 for $35, but I could look in my Guns & Ammo subscription for a "collector" selling "Pre-ban antique magazines" for $200. And I got to keep all the magazines I already owned.

<04:11:24> *** You are now talking in channel: "TFP - Task Force Proteus"
                            <04:16:25> "|TG-XV| Tralic": this channel is so gay
                            DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirusblk View Post
                              The fact is it is much much easier to get a gun than it is to apply for a job. Why is that?
                              I'm not saying it shouldn't be more difficult to get one. To get a handgun in NY for instance you must apply for and receive a permit before the gunshop will even let you touch it. The unrestricted permit I've got took 8 months to get, required an FBI background check, mental heath records release & evaluation, finger printing, two interviews, one with law enforcement, and the other with a judge, in his courtroom, in between two criminal cases. I didn't mind it, I'm glad they are careful who they give handguns to around here and wish they would do the same in other states like AZ. What I do mind is when the word "ban" starts getting thrown around.

False reasoning. If it is sold illegally on the black market it is actually that much harder to get a hold of. Saying that if a 30 round mag was banned, he would have still gotten a hold of it is a fallacious statement and one that can't be proven.
                              Any magazine over 10 rounds is banned in NY, the ones I do own are down in North Carolina. Believe me when I say I could have a hi-cap mag in my possession in less than 30 mins if I so chose, no more difficult than if the sporting goods store down the road sold it legally. But that would make me a criminal wouldn't it?

Also while we're on the subject of what is stupidly not banned, how about silencers? Really who needs silencers for their right to posses a firearm?
                              Sound suppressors aren't capable of doing what most people think and Hollywood would have people believe. (or video games for that matter :)) They do not make it possible to shoot someone with a cute "chirp-chirp" sound while someone is sleeping in the next room. Suppressed firearms are still quite loud except for very small calibers. As to why non-military personnel might NEED one? Beats me, except for someone that wants a nice conversation piece or has an aversion to wearing hearing protection.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X