Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Situation in Egypt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Situation in Egypt

    I know there's a lot to say on the situation in Egypt and I don't want to claim that I have a good enough understanding of it all because honestly I don't. However I thought it might be good to get other's thoughts and feelings on the situation as well as some good info passed around.

    Here's a good video Extinct sent me when I was talking to him about it:


    There's more from the relevant Youtube account:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/MeedanTube

    On the side of more shocking (warning viewer discretion is advised, not as bad as the infamous apache video but still on a level of disturbing), some videos from the people themselves showing some of the more shocking things:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/politics/com..._online_today/

  • #2
    Re: The Situation in Egypt

    Firstly, thank you Sirusblk for giving me heart that someone here that is a USA citizen can be bothered to post about troubles abroad (apart from MP40); I had logged on here at the beginning of the week to see if someone had posted anything as the trouble in Egypt started - nothing. Five days later this post. I personally have been busy: and it was an interesting exercise on the USA analcentricism of this forum, and by default a critical eye on the USA, and its critics, the events in Egypt, the politics and history, and the problems of peace in the area and the world.

    Noted at the beginning of the week was one thread related to outside the USA (by MP40), all the rest was either USA taxes, USA guns, or USA up its own *ss. So thank you as now I believe five days into the problems someone other than MP40 got down to it; don't rely on the rest of us to be bothered for you.

    Something as critical as this and you can't be bothered here as it's not the USA.

    It says a lot of the layman value of other than the USA and re-enforces what is disgusting to many. This has a direct mirror relationship to what is happening in Egypt as history and politics must surely have told everyone. Frightening and concerning. No wonder the USA rubs people the wrong way and the events in Egypt are so sad. No one here has been bothered to post about Egypt till now - a terrible fact.

    The Independent newspaper has had a journalist on the ground in the square and has spoken to some key figures. Most of the week they have ran front page, and pages 2 and 3. Below is a link to all his reports:

    http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/fisk/

    Personally I hope that the army will back a peaceful changeover to a liberal govenment. I hope to God for peace in the area and thus as a consquence, what is needed to achieve this. Then I can hope for a better peace in the world.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: The Situation in Egypt

      Originally posted by Taip3n View Post
      Firstly, thank you Sirusblk for giving me heart that someone here that is a USA citizen can be bothered to post about troubles abroad (apart from MP40); I had logged on here at the beginning of the week to see if someone had posted anything as the trouble in Egypt started - nothing. Five days later this post. I personally have been busy: and it was an interesting exercise on the USA analcentricism of this forum, and by default a critical eye on the USA, and its critics, the events in Egypt, the politics and history, and the problems of peace in the area and the world.

      Noted at the beginning of the week was one thread related to outside the USA (by MP40), all the rest was either USA taxes, USA guns, or USA up its own *ss. So thank you as now I believe five days into the problems someone other than MP40 got down to it; don't rely on the rest of us to be bothered for you.

      Something as critical as this and you can't be bothered here as it's not the USA.

      It says a lot of the layman value of other than the USA and re-enforces what is disgusting to many. This has a direct mirror relationship to what is happening in Egypt as history and politics must surely have told everyone. Frightening and concerning. No wonder the USA rubs people the wrong way and the events in Egypt are so sad. No one here has been bothered to post about Egypt till now - a terrible fact.

      The Independent newspaper has had a journalist on the ground in the square and has spoken to some key figures. Most of the week they have ran front page, and pages 2 and 3. Below is a link to all his reports:

      http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/fisk/

      Personally I hope that the army will back a peaceful changeover to a liberal govenment. I hope to God for peace in the area and thus as a consquence, what is needed to achieve this. Then I can hope for a better peace in the world.
      I don't venture into the sandbox much, but I had to comment.

      This is one of the most ridiculous posts I've ever seen.

      Apparently us Americans are evil because we're too busy playing with our guns and caring about ourselves to post about Egypt?

      I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: The Situation in Egypt

        Haven't you ever read any Taip3n posts? He's always making ridiculous assumptions and then using some ridiculous inferences to come to ridiculous conclusions.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: The Situation in Egypt

          I have to agree with nardini. I have been closely watching what is going on in egypt considering I have friends who live there. Want to know why I havent posted anything? Because there isnt much to post.

          Are we supposed to create threads or go on posting sprees to report every new tick on the death toll in Tahrir Square? Are we supposed to be going nuts every time one of the 50 or 60 journalists was attacked or detained or forced to return to their hotel at gunpoint? Perhaps we should be clamoring about every time Murabak re-hashes the same old rhetoric that he's been spilling for the last few months.

          Or perhaps I prefer to be responsible and reserved in my commentary and wait until there is something of actual substance to talk about other than a week of ongoing and escalating violence. Perhaps I prefer to gain a few facts and see what is actually going on rather than jumping on a media bandwagon that is doing nothing more than inciting further violence.

          Taipen, this isnt the first time you've brought your own personal anti-american sentiment to the forums. Granted, there isnt anything that says you cant, but perhaps you ought to turn that inward and reserve your judgment on 300-plus million people until you've got something credible to base it on. Essentially calling us a bunch of lazy, apathetic, fear-mongering curs is just out of line.

          Furthermore, might I remind you that the majority of the members on the site (and hits to the site) come from the US. Thus, it makes a certain amount of sense that there would be more discussion of US issues on a sheer statistical basis. The notion that we're discussing these things because we're either oblivious or spiteful to the issues plaguing the rest of the world is, well, idiotic. If all you can do is bash my country and it's people in a thread that has NOTHING to do with it, please, take your virulence elsewhere.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: The Situation in Egypt

            ^^^ Bit crass, no?

            Though i do agree

            I deserve a ribbon for Mortar Specialist

            Artillery conquers and infantry occupies.
            J.F.C. Fuller

            Proud to have been a member of the 5th, 71st and my beloved 19th

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: The Situation in Egypt

              The Egyptians are telling a dictator to go screw himself. Good for them!

              My only fear is that the religious thugs will take over the situation and increase the woes of the situation. I hope not but if the country that represents democracy best (the U.S. in my humble opinion) can be swayed by the absolutely crazy ideas of Beck and Palin I fear for the like of Egypt.
              Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
              - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
              - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
              - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
              - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
              - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
              - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: The Situation in Egypt

                Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
                Or perhaps I prefer to be responsible and reserved in my commentary and wait until there is something of actual substance to talk about other than a week of ongoing and escalating violence. Perhaps I prefer to gain a few facts and see what is actually going on rather than jumping on a media bandwagon that is doing nothing more than inciting further violence.
                That's why I was hesitant to post, it wasn't until I had seen a couple of videos outside the realm of our traditional media that I felt it was time to share some of these links that probably won't get the same traffic.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: The Situation in Egypt

                  Originally posted by Sirusblk View Post
                  That's why I was hesitant to post, it wasn't until I had seen a couple of videos outside the realm of our traditional media that I felt it was time to share some of these links that probably won't get the same traffic.
                  Haha, yeah. CNN (and other cable news outlets, I'm sure) were practically salivating over "the situation rapidly spiraling out of control" or whatever it was I heard one of the anchors say as the night-time videos of improvised incendiary devices were being tossed through the air. Way to egg it on rather than just report on it, guys. :P

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: The Situation in Egypt

                    Originally posted by Gill View Post
                    Haha, yeah. CNN (and other cable news outlets, I'm sure) were practically salivating over "the situation rapidly spiraling out of control" or whatever it was I heard one of the anchors say as the night-time videos of improvised incendiary devices were being tossed through the air. Way to egg it on rather than just report on it, guys. :P
                    That's the way they roll. Big-time disasters and world events make for big-time ratings. The last thing the media wants right now is things to calm down over there. Just like when they report on hurricanes out in the ocean for example, they don't talk about what it's doing or how strong it is, it's about where it could go that could do the most damage, or how strong it could become. They WANT things to get worse, they NEED things to get worse. Because if they don't, they have to go back to reporting on the comings and goings of Snookie, or which celebrity just went into rehab for the 3rd time.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: The Situation in Egypt

                      Don't get me wrong, it is pretty bad. Tons of people in the street, many people getting hurt or even killed. In that Reddit article it shows about 20 people getting run over, a few of them died because of it. But yes I do agree, watch local news channels when there's a police standoff, highway chase, etc. One out of Five news channels if that remains calm and reports on the facts, all the others are listing worse case scenarios and only exaggerating the situation.

                      To see the home videos and more trickle out however is pretty telling in itself. Opening up the paper to see photos are dramatic enough.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: The Situation in Egypt

                        Originally posted by Gill View Post
                        Haha, yeah. CNN (and other cable news outlets, I'm sure) were practically salivating over "the situation rapidly spiraling out of control" or whatever it was I heard one of the anchors say as the night-time videos of improvised incendiary devices were being tossed through the air. Way to egg it on rather than just report on it, guys. :P
                        Which is kind of odd. The election protests in Iran last year barely registered on most of the news stations, by comparison.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: The Situation in Egypt

                          Mubarak Steps Down, Ceding Power to Military

                          Well, he's gone. Another US backed dictator bites the dust. And to think it all started in Tunisia with a man being slapped in the street by a government official. Subsequently, that Tunisian US backed dictator was forced to resign and hear we are today. It's been an interesting few weeks in the Middle East.
                          |TG-X| mp40x



                          Register for the Forums! | Get on Teamspeak! | Play Squad! | Join Discord! | Support Tactical Gamer!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: The Situation in Egypt

                            Who is next to fall?

                            I deserve a ribbon for Mortar Specialist

                            Artillery conquers and infantry occupies.
                            J.F.C. Fuller

                            Proud to have been a member of the 5th, 71st and my beloved 19th

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: The Situation in Egypt

                              I'm betting Yemen. We can hope about Iran, but I think that will take a little longer. There is less external pressure on them not to massacre their own citizens. Even though there was violence in Egypt, I feel there was significantly less that there could have been had there not been a lot of international press or western aid (and the pressure that exerts) to that regime.

                              I'm actually not that worried about some crazy Islamic theocracy rising in Egypt. Sure, there may be some religious based parties involved the democracy that hopefully peacefully arises there, but I don't think it will be the only (or indeed, the most important) game in town. It's significant to remember that this is a popular uprising against an oppressive regime, not the Taliban marching on the capital behind a bunch of T-55s.
                              Do or do not, there is no try....
                              -- Yoda, Dagobah

                              Comment

                              Connect

                              Collapse

                              TeamSpeak 3 Server

                              Collapse

                              Advertisement

                              Collapse

                              Twitter Feed

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X