What if we had State elections?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What if we had State elections?

And by this I mean people elect what state they would be a part of.

Having states be defined by geographical boundaries is so pre 20th century. Every year people get to decide what state they are in.

Or maybe the entire nation is divided into grids by latitude and longitude. Your grid votes on what state it is in. No people in the grid? The the land is purely federal and governed by federal law.

I think it would be interesting.
    Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Re: What if we had State elections?

I can think of a number of ways where that new system wouldn't work. Things such as minimum wage, interest rates, state regulations, etc. would be cast to the way side. If I claim to be a resident of New York I couldn't own a gun with a high capacity mag, my neighbor claiming to be a resident of Texas however could. You'd also get a massive amount of people claiming residency for a small state like Tennessee to avoid paying state taxes but drawing on the heavy infrastructure that services their area.

Drawing lines geographically just plain works, if anything I'd like to see maybe larger state split in two such as California since our central government is severely weakened and our demographic is ridiculously spread. Having two separate states means two separate state governments resulting in a much more efficient central state government for both Northern California and Southern California. Likewise if population rose enough in Texas and eventually Alaska a similar thing could happen.

Comment

..or do like a Business does and vote with your Feet. The Country is much "smaller" today and to pick up and move, while a hassle, is very possible. ( I really say this because I am so sick of winter a move south would be for non political reasons.)
      |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
      ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

Some people move states and still claim residency in other states. It's not like there isn't enough leeway.

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
          And by this I mean people elect what state they would be a part of.

Having states be defined by geographical boundaries is so pre 20th century. Every year people get to decide what state they are in.

Or maybe the entire nation is divided into grids by latitude and longitude. Your grid votes on what state it is in. No people in the grid? The the land is purely federal and governed by federal law.

I think it would be interesting.
          We would have roughly 4 states with 95% of our population "in" them, Delaware, North Dakota, Montana and Alaska.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X