What hateful, racist, xenophobic, islamophobia looks like

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What hateful, racist, xenophobic, islamophobia looks like

Glenn Greenwald posted this video in his blog today.

Growing anti-Muslim hatred in the U.S.

Next week, House Homeland Security Committee Chairman Peter King (R-NY) will convene a Congressional hearing to investigate the loyalty and "radicalization" of American Muslims. Earlier this week in Tennessee, a bill was proposed to make it a felony to follow sharia law -- which would essentially criminalize the practice of Islam in that state. Last year, mosques in Tennessee, Oregon and Georgia were targeted with apparent arson. The case against the Park51 community center -- including from mainstream TV journalists -- was grounded in the warped premise that Muslims generally bore guilt for the 9/11 attacks. All of these sentiments are regularly bolstered by a deranged cult-leader/TV personality followed by millions.

And last month, in Orange County, California, Tea Party members and other protesters bombarded a charity event sponsored by a Muslim group -- and the families of American Muslims entering the event -- with the most foul, hateful, threatening messages possible, while various politicians, including a member of Congress, praised the protesters. Just please watch this video, compiled by CAIR-California, to get a taste of what is happening.....

When I got done watching that video, all I could say was: Really?

I mean, here we are with a corrupt government, financial, and corporate system that still can't get enough of screwing the little guy. And all the while some American people seem oblivious to this fleecing of America.

Whether it be that Wall Street got a way with the crime of the century, or that the politicians plan on stealing 2.5 trillion dollars from Social Security, or that greedy corporate globalization is on a path to completely destroy the middle class: Americans, for the most part, just don't seem to care or have no concept of what's really going on - and these are just a few examples.

But for the love of God and everything that's holy, we can't let Muslim Americans congregate at a charity event. They must be up to something, probably planning the next terrorist attack, right?

And the thing that was most disturbing about this video is not the hateful rhetoric and name calling, no, it's that they did it in front of the peoples kids. When I see Muslim children walking down the street with their family, the first thing I think of is calling their parents terrorists and ridiculing the prophet Muhammad. I mean, doesn't everyone?

For Christ's sake, what the hell is wrong with this country. Where do people get the time to invest so much hatred into their life? I don't have time for that crap.

I really hope that the Wise Men are proud of their finest achievement, creating a perpetual demonizing of America's supposed enemy, all of Islam. (I borrowed the name Wise Men from the book by Andrew Bacevich called The Limits of Power. Where he uses the term to characterize the cabinet level government promoters of permanent US enemies and how they inflate the actual threat by using a fever pitch of inflammatory rhetoric. Which keeps the general public constantly scared and hating.) It's the strategy of keeping the bogeyman scary, no frightening, and forever hated by the citizen and is always to blame for America's problems. Sort of like mexican immigrants, sound familiar?

This country has reached a breaking point when we have members of Congress cheering on the hatred with no thought at all that it might not be appropriate to do so. And no media to speak of to point out how outrageous and dangerous this type of thing actually is.
    |TG-X| mp40x

Register for the Forums! | Get on Teamspeak! | Play Squad! | Join Discord! | Support Tactical Gamer!

Re: What hateful, racist, xenophobic, islamophobia looks like

What's wrong with this country is the apparent ease with which some Muslims fall prey to radical fundamentalism, and the willingness of these radicalized individuals to conduct terrible deeds in the name of their religion.

When presented with a faceless enemy that strikes when it pleases, stereotypes and fear grow.

I'm not putting myself into their camp, but I understand where the fear comes from. Islam is a complex religion, and to paint all its members as peaceful and loving of America is a bit disingenuous. There are Muslims who do indeed hate America, and yes... some of them are within our borders. Each time the fear subsides in the collective public consciousness, a Muslim individual again conducts a terrorist deed (see the recent Americans killed in Germany).

Is that an indictment towards the entire population? No. Will there always be an impassable culture gap between the two religions? Yes, I truly believe so. Christianity and Islam have been incompatible since the Dark Ages and the turn of the 11th century, when Europe almost simultaneously Christianized and beat the Moorish Islamic caliphate out of Spain.
    Last edited by Gill; 03-03-2011, 08:40 PM.

Comment

The same can be said for christians Gill. Its amazing how many "good, god fearing christians" can fall victim to committing acts of hatred against innocent people who have committed no wrong. Doesnt the bible teach tolerance and acceptance? Let he who is without sin cast the first stone, if i recall correctly.

Furthermore, how many christians hate what america stands for? There are plenty of christian nazis. Plenty of christian "militias" who are armed to the teeth. How many domestic terrorists have we had who were christian? Oh, thats right, Timothy McVeigh was not only christian, but he was also a registered republican!

In addition, ANY member of ANY faith who claims to love america and engages in spreading hate toward others isnt truly an american. The constitution is simply the basis for our laws. The Declaration of Independence is where the united states really began, and in it, it states very clearly that "that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness." Anyone who chooses to spread hate is attempting to deny those rights to their fellow citizens. It's hypocrisy at its finest.

Our country is full of idiots of every shape, size, class, ethnicity, religion and creed. Christians and Muslims may have been at war for hundreds of years, but thats irrelevant. Foreign invaders committed horrible atrocities on our soil, and people are judging an entire religion for it, regardless of who they are and where they come from. Its wrong, its hurtful, and its UNAMERICAN.

So its not about how easily muslims or christians or jews or buddhists fall prey to becoming fundamentalists. Its about how easy it is for some PEOPLE to fall prey to ideas that encourage hate, intolerance and even violence. THAT is whats wrong, not just with this country, but this world and the race of men who walk it.

Regardless, that bill that MP40X mentioned will get shot down. States CANNOT pass laws that violate the constitution unless they choose to secede from the union, and we saw how well that worked last time it happened. The law will get squashed immediately, no question about it. No matter how much the tea partiers or far right wing activists would like to see it outlawed, the law of OUR land guarantees its constituents the right to practice any religion they choose.

Comment

This isnt a huge contribution to the discussion but being from Canada i have no real understanding of where most of this is coming from. Although i have a question, does your declaration or charter have anything similar to Canada's "notwithstanding" clause? If you dont know what that is, it allows provinces to over ride the charter in certain cases.

For example, in Quebec, the provincial government wanted all the road signs to be strictly french in order to "protect the french language", after the federal government found french only signs "unconstitutional". So the Quebec provincial government called for the notwithstanding clause to be used because putting only french on signs was their right as protected by section 2b (right to expression) and section 15 (all people are equal). The supreme court of Canada ruled in favor of the notwithstanding clause and Quebec got to keep their french signs.

So after that long winded description, is there something similar to this in the US that these people could use to ban sharia law?
        sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Comment

Geez, I literally live right next door here to Yorba Linda. I had no idea this went on. Never before have I been so disappointed to live where I live. Yorba Linda has long been the punching bag around where I live. The idiocy of those that live in Yorba Linda is staggering. That's not their police force by the way. Yorba Linda long ago decided to get rid of both their fire departments and police force and in fact downsized their government so much it's amazing roads are still paved and parks still exist. All in the name of lower property taxes. Makes me wonder whose protecting these families when Brea's police force actually has to serve Brea.

I can't tell you how distressing this is to me. Such hatred and racism right in my backyard. So sickened to my stomach I can't even begin to put into words.

Comment

I'm literally ashamed I have to live on the same planet as those people. The ignorance is f**king staggering. The people shouting out "No Sharia, only the U.S. Constitution" are literally the stupidest people I've ever had the displeasure to witness in my entire life. I grew up in Apartheid era South Africa.
            Do or do not, there is no try....
            -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

That video was eerily familiar to me. It reminded me of the videos I've seen of racists who protested segregation in the south during the civil rights movement. In my opinion, most of the Tea Party and other protesters just look like white nationalists or outright racists. There's just no other way to describe that kind of nonsense.

I was looking into the organizers of that protest and came up with some interesting players who were involved:

A few hundred protesters showed up to the rally, which was sponsored by groups such as: "We Surround Them OC 912" (a local Tea Party group), Rabbi David Eliezrie of Chabad -- Yorba Linda, North Orange County Conservative Coalition, ACT! for America, and Pamela Geller (whose group "Stop the Islamization of America" has been designated as a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center). Source.
              1) We Surround Them OC 912:

And wouldn't you know it that this is one of Glenn Becks's initiatives. It's part of his We Sourround Them 9/12 project. Here's what they say about themselevs:

We Surround Them in Orange County

We are not racists - we are not violent - we are just no longer silent.
              Not racist? I guess that's what they have to tell themselves.

INVITE EVERYONE YOU KNOW who is concerned about the future of this country to come join us!

We are here to support and defend the Constitution of the United States.
              I'd say everyone is invited unless you happen to be Muslim or some other group they don't like, then probably not so much. And I guess they missed the 1st amendment part of the Constitution about freedom of religion. So, they don't actually support the Constitution.

The 9/12 Project:

Our mission is to inspire individuals and groups to connect with their communities through education, service and dedication to our 9 Principles and 12 Values
              Their mission to inspire includes shouting ""Go home terrorist," "Muhammad is a pervert, Muhammad is a child molester," "Go home and beat your wife, she needs a good beating." I know I would feel inspired after hearing that yelled at me repeatedly, wouldn't you?

2) North Orange County Conservative Coalition:

They have a similar mission statement:

The North Orange County Conservative Coalition seeks to promote conservative values in government policy through education, coalition building and political activism.
              The coalition they speak of building apparently doesn't include brown people, especially Muslims. Then there's this little gem that shows the hypocracy:

North Orange County Conservative Coalition Principles

Debt

We must reduce the deficit and work towards a balanced budget at all levels of government
              Are they sure they mean ALL levels of government? Because one of their other statements says this:

National Defense – “Peace through strength”

Limiting government waste will mean our men and women in the military will receive the priority funding needed to protect our country
              Are they sure the military isn't getting the "priority funding needed to protect our country?" Because total defense related spending is over $1 trillion dollars a year. Something tells me the military is getting quite enough already. And you have to love the “Peace through strength” motto. When was the last time in recent history that the US has actually been at peace?

3) Pamela Geller:

She's an outspoken opponent of the NY mosque and someone who Jeffrey Goldberg - from The Atlantic - has called "a "bigoted blogger" and noted her support of South African white supremacist Eugène Terre'Blanche." Her political organization (Stop Islamization of America) was also just recently labeled a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law center ( I have been a skeptic of the SPLC categorizing certain groups as hate groups, bit I think they nailed it with her group).

Then, there's the two loser Congressmen, Ed Royce (R-40) and Gary Miller (R-42), that need to be told that supporting this kind of rhetoric is really an attack against the Constitutional rights of Muslim Americans. They assert to support the Constitution, right?

Even more disturbing was the participation and encouragement of elected officials in promoting the hateful protest rally. Villa Park Councilwoman, Deborah Pauly, while addressing the crowd at the rally, appeared to threaten Muslim event-goers. Congressman Ed Royce (R-40), in a troubling trend of disparaging Islam and its followers, added fuel to the fire by encouraging protesters to continue on with their hate-mongering. The attendance of Congressman Gary Miller (R-42) was a clear surprise, since he previously has engaged with all constituents, including Muslims, toward a better America.
              Last edited by mp40x; 03-04-2011, 09:46 AM.
              |TG-X| mp40x

Register for the Forums! | Get on Teamspeak! | Play Squad! | Join Discord! | Support Tactical Gamer!

Comment

Originally posted by mp40x View Post
                When I got done watching that video, all I could say was: Really?
                Really? You watched a propaganda clip compiled by the Muslim hate-group of America?

Yelling was the worst thing on the video. Where were the people getting shoved and smacked? That's what the "peaceful" Muslims of America have participated in before... But people who don't like Muslims shouldn't yell "Go home?" Shouldn't remind Muslims their revered prophet raped a little girl?

Unfortunately, a few months ago I heard a man speak who was all sorts of stuff (ex-military, Arabic relations, etc.), who was doing research within American mosques and found some very disturbing things. One was a little girl who admitted her bruises were from her husband. There's no doubt that the average American Muslim wouldn't do that, but most American Muslims don't actively pursue adherence to Sharia, either.

People don't want bad stuff happening in their neighborhoods. While Sharia has *some* good stuff, it's like a blanket to cover up the twisted, perverted stuff too. I would be surprised if the TN law got through, but I'm glad to see it. Sharia includes execution of homosexuals, adulterers, Muslims who decide not to follow Islam any longer, etc. Importantly, that law system does not allow freedom of speech, so it's fundamentally incompatible with U.S. law. Sharia has gotten deep in the U.K. system (from what I've heard) mostly because of their weaker declaration of rights.

The TN law will make it illegal to provide "material support or resources" to a person or agency whose goals undermine the state or nation's highest laws. Cair does not want this law, so they pulled out the big guns and made this video (IMO, pretty weak). They'd like you to think that everyone who is anti-Sharia hates Muslims in a xenophobic way.

sigpic
                "The true genius shudders at incompleteness - and usually prefers silence to saying
                something which is not everything it should be." — Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

The thing is, Sharia, depending on who is interpreting it, is just like the Ten Commandments, or Rufus' dictum "Be excellent to each other". While there are some fundamentalists who feel that these laws laid down by the various religions must be the supreme laws of the land, there are many, the majority, who simply apply it as a code and guideline with which to live their own lives. This is really no different to the Jewish community differing to their Rabbi in matters of personal morality. No matter how people may personally feel about the (probably mostly completely misunderstood) contents of Sharia, the right of Muslim Americans to practice it within their own homes and the broader Muslim community are sacrosanct under the Constitution.

I don't care who made the video. I know what I saw. Those people were xenophobic racists. There is no place for people like that in my world view.
                  -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

Sirusblk, I live in LA/OC area as well, and I'm not surprised by this. I went to college in the OC, and it's the least open minded area I've been to. It's definitely an area that caters to the rich and the conservative. I had no idea why they would build a public university in a city so averse to the youth and diversity.

It was a frequent sight to see college students and minorities pulled over. One roomate of mine was pulled over and threated to be arrested for hiding a concealed weapon. The weapon? A golf club in his trunk. Another roomate of mine had a gun drawn on him for carrying a billiards cue (walking to the college rec center). Hell, I was pulled over for a busted license plate LIGHT, and this was at 4 pm.

If the world ever progresses into the future, fully accepting all races and differences, I would bet a lot of money Orange County would be one of the last areas to make that step.

Comment

Actual implementations of the harsh, medieval version of sharia law that some Middle Eastern countries practice are completely incompatible with U.S. courts of law. I don't see any claims of "sharia law taking over the United States" as serious.

"Were not going to see hand chopping off, were not going to see retaliatory violence, we're not going to see underage marriages, were not going to see polygamous marriages," Clark Lombardi of the University of Washington Law School told NPR. "The U.S. courts simply wouldn't do it."
                      However, I think it is important that such hyperbole between the Muslims and Conservatives exist, simply to keep the issue fresh and prevent any sort of absurdity, such as examples one can give from the United Kingdom.

Comment

Originally posted by SilentSunshine View Post
                        Really? You watched a propaganda clip compiled by the Muslim hate-group of America?
                        It's not propaganda just because you like what the protesters stand for, but don't want to fully say it publicly. And making that video is a way for Muslim Americans to push back because they're currently under assault, maybe you noticed.

Yelling was the worst thing on the video. Where were the people getting shoved and smacked?
                        So, the video has no merit because there was no violence? That's a pretty weak argument. And yelling go home, calling people names, and being overtly racist should have no place in America - although it is their right. Especially when the people being yelled at are American citizens and aren't bothering anyone in anyway and are acting peacefully.

But people who don't like Muslims shouldn't yell "Go home?" Shouldn't remind Muslims their revered prophet raped a little girl?
                        They can say whatever they like - 1st Amendment, but that doesn't make it right. And I could care less what they're religious text says. The US citizen, all US citizens, regardless of race and religion have equal protection under the law to practice whatever religion they like. As long as they're not interfering with the rights of others to do the same and not breaking any applicable laws. The End!

Unfortunately, a few months ago I heard a man speak who was all sorts of stuff (ex-military, Arabic relations, etc.), who was doing research within American mosques and found some very disturbing things. One was a little girl who admitted her bruises were from her husband.
                        If that story is true then the husband should be arrested, jailed, prosecuted, and imprisoned if found guilty.

There's no doubt that the average American Muslim wouldn't do that, but most American Muslims don't actively pursue adherence to Sharia, either.
                        Bingo, I knew you would come around one of these days. Great point!

People don't want bad stuff happening in their neighborhoods.
                        By saying bad stuff, you've already made the leap to say that Islam is bad, and therefore bad stuff. This sentence is just inherently wrong, because you set the stage to imply that Islam is bad, in general.

While Sharia has *some* good stuff, it's like a blanket to cover up the twisted, perverted stuff too. I would be surprised if the TN law got through, but I'm glad to see it.
                        Let me say this one more time: There will NEVER be Sharia law in the United States. Why you say? Because certain aspects of it are completely contrary to federal, state, and local laws. Its just that simple.

Name any aspect of Sharia law that you think is atrocious - and there are plenty, and I can almost guarantee that it's in violation of at least one if not all of those statutes.

Sharia includes execution of homosexuals, adulterers, Muslims who decide not to follow Islam any longer, etc. Importantly, that law system does not allow freedom of speech, so it's fundamentally incompatible with U.S. law. Sharia has gotten deep in the U.K. system (from what I've heard) mostly because of their weaker declaration of rights.
                        The bible contains Old Testament law that's contrary to the laws in the US. Do you have the same fervor for passing special laws to avoid people practicing OT law? If not, then you see the hypocrisy of what you're saying. Especially your previous statement where you said "but I'm glad to see it", in reference to the passage of the TN law.

The TN law will make it illegal to provide "material support or resources" to a person or agency whose goals undermine the state or nation's highest laws. Cair does not want this law, so they pulled out the big guns and made this video (IMO, pretty weak). They'd like you to think that everyone who is anti-Sharia hates Muslims in a xenophobic way.
                        Your basic argument here starts with the assertion that everyone who rails and protests against Muslims/mosques is just simply against Sharia law. That's pretty disingenuous, and I'm quite sure that you're smarter than that.
                        |TG-X| mp40x

Comment

Originally posted by Gill
                          However, I think it is important that such hyperbole between the Muslims and Conservatives exist, simply to keep the issue fresh and prevent any sort of absurdity, such as examples one can give from the United Kingdom.
                          Can you cite the examples? My understanding of Sharia in the U.K. is that it can be used if both parties in certain types of disputes agree to it, and agree to be bound by the outcome, in which case, under the U.K. Arbitration act, the result is binding. This applies equally to Jewish Beth Din courts, and, as a matter of fact, the kind of arbitration commonly applied in general family law, where the standard law courts basically rubber-stamp the outcome without having to drag all the parties to a courtroom to get an outcome.

I agree with you about the throwback medieval Sharia stuff. It'll never fly in a free society. Those aspects of Sharia (like honor-killings) are not compatible and if some Sharia court rules like that, the judges need to be tired as accomplices to the crime.
                          -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

Originally posted by Pvt Brokeback View Post
                            Sirusblk, I live in LA/OC area as well, and I'm not surprised by this. I went to college in the OC, and it's the least open minded area I've been to. It's definitely an area that caters to the rich and the conservative. I had no idea why they would build a public university in a city so averse to the youth and diversity.
                            True but never has it struck me so close to home. Literally some of those people both those on the giving end and the receiving end could be my neighbors. These are the people I see walking down the street. My city right next door is much smaller and has a much much more diverse ethnicity count. Yorba Linda has historically been full of "rich white people". It is quite a shock when it happens so close when you though it never would. I know my area is quite conservative but there's quite a jump between conservative and racist hateful people like this.

Comment

Originally posted by mp40x View Post
                              It's not propaganda just because you like what the protesters stand for, but don't want to fully say it publicly.
                              Well, you have read through my post. Thank you for that. For clarification, I do like some of what the protesters stand for, but I wouldn't say "go home" or do the taunting about wife-bashing. I'd like the inherently evil teachings that are currently a part of Islam to be exposed (preferably without raised voices, but sometimes that's necessary).

As you read the other responses, you'll see that some others here feel that Sharia is A-OK for implementation in the U.S. because "it's just like" other stuff, so saying it will "NEVER" come here is naive.

It's not like TN is only worried about courts using Sharia. In fact, I didn't see anything about that in the Senate bill. From what I've seen, our courts aren't likely to randomly make use of any religious text.

The thrust of the bill is clearly to try to make armchair jihadists guilty in a court of law (those who give money, comfort, or support to groups that have been singled out for being in direct opposition to the laws of the state). Sharia is the law that commands support for jihad, therefore actively following it would be illegal.

sigpic
                              "The true genius shudders at incompleteness - and usually prefers silence to saying
                              something which is not everything it should be." — Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X