No announcement yet.

ATF Causes Death of US Border Patrol Agent

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATF Causes Death of US Border Patrol Agent

This story is pretty shocking:

Whistleblower Alleges that U.S. Gun Agency Purposely Allowed Weapons to be Smuggled to Mexico

In an effort to catch Mexican drug lords, the federal agency responsible for regulating the gun industry and cracking down on gun crime allowed thousands of weapons to pass into Mexico and fall into the hands of criminals, according to a report by CBS News and other outlets this week.

A senior agent with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives—better known as the ATF—told CBS and the Center for Public Integrity that ATF supervisors instructed agents to not intercept weapons made in suspicious sales, but to monitor them to see where the weapons ended up. CBS reported that a number of unnamed agents have made similar allegations.
    They just let the guns go into Mexico as part of their "Let's catch a bigger fish philosophy. It's shameful, to say the least, but it gets worse:

ATF Let Hundreds of U.S. Weapons Fall into Hands of Suspected Mexican Gunrunners

In May 2010, a Customs and Border Protection agent confronted an armed band of gangsters along the U.S. side of the border. The suspects fled but some of the guns they left behind were traced back to weapons purchased by one of the suspects targeted in Fast and Furious, Dodson said.

Then in December, two weapons recovered at the scene of a murdered Customs and Border Protection agent, Brian Terry, were traced to the ATF operation, according to Sen.Grassley.

“This may be a well-intended policy, but when you have agents on the ground for months questioning what’s going on, and a Border Patrol agent is killed, it’s time to take a step back and check to see if the policy has gone awry,” Grassley told the Center.
    So, weapons the ATF let go across the border end up killing a Border Patrol agent. Great, nice police work.

The ATF agents couldn't even believe what they were being ordered to do:

Agent: I was ordered to let U.S. guns into Mexico

Federal agent John Dodson says what he was asked to do was beyond belief.
    He was intentionally letting guns go to Mexico?

"Yes ma'am," Dodson told CBS News. "The agency was."

An Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms senior agent assigned to the Phoenix office in 2010, Dodson's job is to stop gun trafficking across the border. Instead, he says he was ordered to sit by and watch it happen.

Investigators call the tactic letting guns "walk." In this case, walking into the hands of criminals who would use them in Mexico and the United States.

Dodson's bosses say that never happened. Now, he's risking his job to go public.
    The bosses say it never happened, well, that's so Washington of them.

They say it didn't happen, but they found the time to issue this memo:

The Justice Department’s inspector general has been asked to investigate the recent allegations about the ATF’s strategy. ATF’s public affairs officer sent an internal memo on Thursday asking the agency’s press officers to “proactively push positive stories” to counter the recent “negative coverage,” CBS reported. Pro Publica.
    What? It's so typical of Washington to just try and spin their way out of it. Pathetic.
    |TG-X| mp40x

Register for the Forums! | Get on Teamspeak! | Play Squad! | Join Discord! | Support Tactical Gamer!

Re: ATF Causes Death of US Border Patrol Agent

Holy crap, who the hell thought this was a good idea?

If the story is true, then that is seriously infuriating. Our Border Patrol has a hard enough job as it is, and now we're ALLOWING guns to flow across the border? Somebody needs to be fired over this poorly thought out plan. Do they really want to know where the guns are going? Everywhere! Duh!

This story pissed me off, too...
      Why the hell would we send US Officials into Mexico UNARMED and completely defenseless. They had US Diplomat license plates on top of that, so they were an obvious target. If someone asked me to take that assignment and go unarmed, I would've told them to go eff themselves. That's a suicide mission! For goodness sake, conducting a patrol in Iraq/Afghanistan is safer than running around Mexico as an official (unarmed at that).
      "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Originally posted by War.mongeR1 View Post
        If the story is true, then that is seriously infuriating.
        I'd say with these three news agencies reporting the story, then it has to be true and not without merit:

The Center for Public Integrity

CBS News

Pro Publica

Those are three of my favorite investigative journalism sites, the fourth being Frontline.

I used to have five, but Bill Moyer's retired last year and doesn't do Bill Moyers Journal anymore. :(

Dana Priest and Glenn Greenwald get an honorable mention.

I have subscriptions to these sites in Google reader and check them everyday. If you guys don't have Google Reader I'd suggest getting it. It has no adds and the articles are delivered to your reader page in real time, excellent tool. Just click the link to go to that page if you're interested. Much easier than going to a bunch of different sites every day, saves loads of time.

And yeah, it pissed me off too.
        |TG-X| mp40x

Register for the Forums! | Get on Teamspeak! | Play Squad! | Join Discord! | Support Tactical Gamer!

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed