Karl Rove leaked CIA agents indentity

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Karl Rove leaked CIA agents indentity

The Whitehouse said he didn't but it turns out he really did. Now what?

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washing...use-rove_x.htm
    ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
    No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Re: Karl Rove leaked CIA agents indentity

ouch.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Originally posted by Rincewind
      Now what?
      Sadly, nothing.
      [squadl]
      "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

Now we dance around until 2008 and hope that no one remembers by then. :-/

The fact that a prominent member of the administration could even with MINISCULE credibility be connected to something this treasonous appalls me.
        [volun2]
        NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
        Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
        <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
        <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

nawww.....he didn't do it. He is inocent just like OJ was :p
          Warcriminal
          chillin n' killin wit authoritaaaaa!!

Comment

http://www.nypost.com/postopinion/op...ists/49903.htm

from bugmenot:
            [email protected]
            parrot

This is ankle-biter stuff. Note how the higher-ups in the democratic party (the real ones, not Dr. Scream) are keeping their distance for now.

Comment

Revealing a spy's identity is treason, isn't it?

Comment

not necessarily, no.

Comment

Has anyone found a copy of that 30+ minute press conference where McLellan got roasted? Almost every paper in America has quotes from it in one or more articles. I think that's one to be saved for antiquity as a symbol of the Bush White House. I would have loved to see George himself take this one on, but we never will, because - well, because he's a moron.

Comment

Charming.

Anyway:

One Democrat with experience in defending the Clinton White House says Rove may not be in legal jeopardy. Lanny Davis was a special counsel to President Clinton. He said Monday that to violate the law, Rove would have had to know Plame was a covert officer; intentionally disclose that fact; and know that the CIA wanted her covert status kept secret.

"It's extremely difficult to violate that law and to prove a violation," Davis said.

Comment

I'm glad this is coming out now. But I'm surprised at the moveon.org talking points boiling over in this forum. I'm glad this is coming out now, because Al Wilson was the genesis of the "Bush Lied" monologue that has beat incessantly since the start of the Iraqi war. (See my post on 7/2004)

This article from the New York Post sums it up very well. If you are a thinking individual please read it. Yes, it's a conservative opinion piece, but it does contain the facts as I've understood them all along. I'll link to it, but you have to subscribe: http://www.nypost.com/postopinion/op...ists/49903.htm

In the Cooper e-mails just surrendered by Time to the prosecutor looking into the Plame case, "Cooper wrote that Rove offered him a 'big warning' not to 'get too far out on Wilson.' Rove told Cooper that Wilson's trip had not been authorized by . . . CIA Director George Tenet . . . or Vice President Dick Cheney. Rather, 'it was, [Rove] said, Wilson's wife, who apparently works at the agency on WMD [weapons of mass destruction] issues who authorized the trip.' "

There's no mistaking the purpose of this conversation between Cooper and Rove. It wasn't intended to discredit, defame or injure Wilson's wife. It was intended to throw cold water on the import, seriousness and supposedly high level of Wilson's findings.

While some may differ on the fairness of discrediting Joseph Wilson, it sure isn't any kind of crime.

Rove was suggesting to Cooper that that folks lower down in the CIA than its own director commandeered the process so that the husband of one of their own could get the gig. And the husband in question then went and misrepresented his findings to various journalists (The Washington Post's Walter Pincus and The New York Times's Nicholas Kristof) and then in his own now-famous Times op-ed.

This Rove-Cooper conversation discredits Wilson, not Plame. In fact, nothing we know so far was done either with the purpose of exposing or even the knowledge that these remarks would be exposing an undercover CIA operative.

But Plame's undercover status at the time was and is a little questionable in any case. How undercover could she have been when her name was published at the time as part of Joseph Wilson's own biography online (see cpsag.com/our_team/wilson.html)?

So if the offense wasn't against Plame, what of the offense against Wilson? There was no offense. As many of Joe Wilson's own hottest defenders would no doubt argue in relation to President Bush, exposing a liar is not only not a crime, it's a public service.

And Wilson lied. Repeatedly.

First off, Wilson long denied he was recommended for the job by his wife: "Valerie had nothing to do with the matter," he writes in his book. "She definitely had not proposed that I make the trip."

But the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence actually found the memo in which Valerie Plame recommended her husband for the job.

There were other lies as well. Wilson's own report was far from definitive in any way on the question of whether Iraq was seeking uranium from Niger thus giving the lie to his later bald claim that he came back insisting there was no link.

"The report on the former ambassador's [Wilson's] trip to Niger, disseminated in March 2002," said the Senate Select Committee, "did not change any analysts' assessments of the Iraq-Niger uranium deal. For most analysts, the information in the report lent more credibility to the original Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) reports on the uranium deal, but the State Department Bureau of Intelligence and Research (INR) analysts believed that the report supported their assessment that Niger was unlikely to be willing or able to sell uranium to Iraq."

Thus, Rove was telling Cooper the truth. According to one of Cooper's e-mails, "not only the genesis of the trip is flawed an[d] suspect but so is the report. He [Rove] implied strongly there's still plenty to implicate Iraqi interest in acquiring uranium fro[m] Niger . . ."

A few days later, for reasons that remain unexplained, the United States said it could no longer stand by the claim in the 2003 State of the Union that Saddam was seeking uranium in Africa.

But that retraction of Bush's words remains hotly controversial. As a 2004 British inquiry chaired by Lord Butler put it: "We conclude that, on the basis of the intelligence assessments at the time, covering both Niger and the Democratic Republic of Congo, the statements on Iraqi attempts to buy uranium from Africa in the Government's dossier, and by the Prime Minister in the House of Commons, were well-founded."

What isn't controversial is this: Karl Rove didn't "out" Valerie Plame as a CIA agent to intimidate Joe Wilson. He was dismissing Joe Wilson as a low-level has-been hack to whom nobody should pay attention. He was right then, and if he said it today, he'd still be right.

And if Valerie Plame wants to live a quiet spy life, she should stop having her picture taken by society photographers and stop getting stories written about her on the front page of the Times.
                      New to TG?

Comment

Babble. Pure Republican babble. It amazes me how these people can take a situation where there were so obviously wrong and somehow spin it in their favor. I guess we should just forget that this information was "leaked", or that Rove denied all involvement. Bush even promised to fire anyone connected. We should probably forget that too. All of these actions point to the fact that the WH knew this was wrong, but now that the secret is out, the story is, "We were just discrediting his statements." We won't get a conviction for the "outing" because it's so difficult to prove that there's only been one sucessful prosecution since it became law in the '80s, but Mr. Rove has already testified in front of a Grand Jury on this matter; We'll just have to wait and see if his lies were as bad as Clinton's. If you're going to try and defend these creatons, try answering this question, "Why all the denial up till this point?"

Comment

If you're going to discuss this in writing, terms like "all involvement" and "anyone connected" leave anyone opposing your points AMPLE opportunity to discredit your argument.

Do yourself, and everyone else participating, the service of being as specific as you can when accusing people, present or not, of questionable behavior.
                          Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

When this story first broke, it appeared that someone in the Bush administration had leaked Valerie Plame's CIA role illegally in an effort to smear her husband. At the time the President said that if someone had done that then they didn't belong in the White House.

As the facts continue to come out, it appears now that Karl Rove was at least one of the people who "leaked" this information. It also appears, based on Mr. Rove AND Michael Cooper's account of the conversation, that the information was not "leaked" and there was no effort to smear: It was a conversation of a different nature alltogether.

There is still more information out there, and still more questions unanswered. Not all of the cards have been laid out on the table. Sensible people will refrain from jumping to conclusions and making categorical statements for now.

In any case, who gives a ****? Valerie Plame and Joe Wilson are Today's Democratic Party poster children: privileged, lily-white, perfect hair, and so very concerned about the plight of the underprivileged. This has hardly hurt either.

Comment

Originally posted by leejo
                              In any case, who gives a ****? Valerie Plame and Joe Wilson are Today's Democratic Party poster children: privileged, lily-white, perfect hair, and so very concerned about the plight of the underprivileged.

Amen brother...amen !

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X