Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AT&T buying T-Moble. Thoughts?

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/20/a...tsche-telekom/

As a T-Mobile user with a kick-ass plan, I am not happy about this. I have unlimited data/minutes/texts for around $80 per month. I don't have a family, so this is by far the best deal out there for me. It seems that this is a good deal for AT&T users who have been in dire need of more bandwidth, but for us T-Mobile users, I can't see how this will turn out well.

Yeah yeah. I know I'll be grand-fathered for at least a year, but I'm pretty certain AT&T will eventually want to change my billing structure, fee's, etc. I guess my cheap unlimited data and easy (free) tethering was too good to last.

Also, whereas T-Mobile customer service will gladly give you unlock codes for free, AT&T does not like to do that, as they like to charge you lots of money for using minutes while traveling. I doubt AT&T will want you to unlock your phone so easily, as we've enjoyed with T-Mobile.

What are your thoughts on this acquisition? Does anybody know ANY way in which us T-Mobile users will benefit from this deal?
    "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Re: AT&T buying T-Moble. Thoughts?

The ONLY way in which T-Mobile users will benefit from this is in the regard that if the deal falls through, ATT owes TMO 3 billion dollars, plus rights to additional AWS spectrum (more data bandwidth), plus the ability to piggyback on ATT's network where TMO doesnt have strong coverage but ATT does. So here's to hoping that the FTC and FCC are smart about this and stick a fork in it.

Other than that, it spells disaster for TMO customers AND the cellular industry at large. There are two smaller companies right now (TMO and Sprint) who keep the prices low by siphoning off ATT and Verizon customers when they jack rates up. With T-Mobile getting eaten, sprint simply wont have enough clout to do it on their own, so the big two are just going to raise rates as they see fit. This isnt just my conclusion, I've read the same prediction from reputable places like the Wall Street Journal.

On a customer level, its bad. Not IMMEDIATELY bad, but still bad. Heres what will happen:
    -12+ months from now, ATT/TMO will complete the merger.
    -ATT "grandfathers" people in for the term of their original TMO contract, which could be anywhere from one day to two years after the merger completes, depending on when people signed up.
    -As soon as your contract expires, you get sucker punched twice:
    1. You have to convert to a sizeably more expensive and significantly more restrictive cell plan.
    2. You have to buy a whole new phone considering TMO's handsets dont work properly on ATT's network (and ATT is just going to be using PART of TMO's network initially).

If you're an existing ATT customer, this may sound great because of all the extra bandwidth and such you'll be getting. However, bear in mind that none of that bandwidth will be available until AFTER the merger completes, which is a minimum of 12 months from now. Subsequent to that, ATT has released public predictions that it will take 3+ years AFTER the merger (so 4+ years from now) before the existing TMO network will be fully integrated and existing ATT customers will see the full benefits of the acquisition.

Comment

So the top providers in USA will now become AT&T/T-Mobile, Sprint Nextel and Verizon?

Comment

More like the top providers will be AT&T&TMobile and Verizon while Sprint Nextel picks up the scraps.

Of course, seeing as how AT&T and Verizon have never been slammed for their bull**** data usage policies, I doubt the FTC will even bat an eye over this buyout.

Comment

Interesting. Canada's cell phone, for example, market is essentially in a stranglehold between Bell, Telus and Rogers. There are smaller companies but they are essentially subsidiaries of the big three.

Comment

I'm a T-Mobile customer with a Nexus One and no contract. I suspect that if the ATT deal goes through, then I'll be subjected to bandwidth limits, having to pay an additional $20/mo for tethering, and be forced into a contract. ATT will effectively have a monopoly on the GSM mobile phone market - a horrible situation for users.

I can't think of any way current T-Mobile customers will benefit from this. IMO we the consumers would be much better off having a mobile market similar to Europe and Asia.

TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran

Comment

Now I really want this deal to die, just so I can watch AT&T collapse on itself:
              http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/mobile/....html?hpt=Sbin
              Originally posted by CNN
              AT&T's wireless network will face major challenges "in the short term" unless the carrier is able to begin integrating T-Mobile USA's infrastructure, said AT&T Mobility CEO Ralph de la Vega.

He didn't specify an exact timeframe for when his company's problems could compound but acknowledged that the network's needs must be addressed in less than three years.
              Its freaking awesome to think that AT&T, who tout themselves as the best carrier EVAR are going to have even bigger issues than they already do if they dont eat up T-Mobile, who they claim are an inferior carrier, yet obviously have far superior network capabilities.

Comment

Oh snap! Great link, Ferris. It's funny all the smack we've heard AT&T (and their users) talk, yet I've enjoyed less dropped calls, unlimited data, WAY cheaper prices, and since T-Mobile's network isn't that huge, it's always just hopped on AT&T's networks or whoever else is around when I'm outside the T-Mobile area.

From that video, it does seem that the merger could seriously expand 4g areas, which would be amazing for rural customers who can't get cable broadband. For those of us who are already satisfied with TMO, though, it still seems like a potentially raw deal.
                "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

T-Mobile and Sprint/Nextel (mostly Nextel) are the only carriers that work out near my house, and T-Mobile gets 1 bar if that (Verizon/AT&T don't even get any service). This extends for about 5 miles in any direction.

My experience with cellphones is on the other side. I've had a Boost prepaid, which is a subsidiary of Sprint/Nextel and runs on Nextel/Motorolla's iDEN network (which they plan on shutting down in a few years). Very few dropped calls, except when the network gets flooded, very cheap phones with good coverage.

The problem is, that makes up a lot of Sprint's services, and is NOT a competitor to AT&T. It's TDMA, not compatible with GSM, etc, so the network is easy to flood because it's splitting the packet data into time-slices per phone. The internet speeds are like 2x a dialup modem speed. The phones, mostly grandfathered from Nextel, are okay, but cheap and lacking in features (standard old-school motorola candybars and a flipphone or two. Mine has an advantage that it's ruggedized, made out of hard rubber almost completely around, and has a impact-resistant, PLASTIC screen so it doesn't shatter when i drop it, and is dustproof, because it's an old Nextel work phone design).

Sprint will be spinning off it's iDEN/WiDEN service in the next few years and trying to change them to GSM/EVDO customers like the rest of their small user base. They've lost a lot of their landline telecom business because they sold Embarq to Century Link. The'yre just not a big cellphone player anymore, or player in much of anything.

Then again... for 50 bucks/month I had unlimited calling, free roaming, texts, mobile internet/email and it worked at my house and at my grandmas when I had no phone otherwise, which is a pretty nice plan.

<04:11:24> *** You are now talking in channel: "TFP - Task Force Proteus"
                  <04:16:25> "|TG-XV| Tralic": this channel is so gay
                  DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Comment

Re: AT&amp;T buying T-Moble. Thoughts?

Brilliant Fark headline regarding the topic:

"AT&T is getting married to T-Mobile. There will be no reception afterwards"

Comment

Re: AT&amp;T buying T-Moble. Thoughts?

I love T-Mobile. I got a special deal with my android allowing for unlimited Data (including Data roaming) for just $10 a month. Add that to my $15 extra for unlimited texting, e-mail, etc. I've never once had a problem with coverage and always been able to make phone calls. T-Mobile has the best customer service, the best rates, the best experience period. I'm only on 3G and I feel like I have internet as fast as home only on a mobile browser. Simply put, without T-Mobile I don't want to even own a cell phone. It's not worth the hassle and the inflated rate gouging the customer.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X