Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 25 years in jail for corporate crime

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4680221.stm

Former Worldcom boss Bernard Ebbers wept openly as he was sentenced to 25 years in jail for his part in the scandal which brought down the firm.

Mr Ebbers was found guilty of fraud and conspiracy in March, following revelations of an $11bn (6.2bn) accounting fraud at Worldcom in 2002.
    The settlement leaves Mr Ebbers' wife with about $50,000 of her husband's fortune, and a modest home in Jackson, Mississippi.
    Justice served? I personally think this might be good. The crimes at the top of these corporations make armed bank robbery look like purse snatching, and purse snatching look like taking an extra penny out of those "give a penny take a penny" things, and taking an extra penny out... uhh, well you get the idea.

Still, this is a rough sentence for a man and woman who had everything just a couple short years ago. Especially considering he's 63, this is like a life sentence.

Re: 25 years in jail for corporate crime

I feel an appeals coming? ;)
    ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
    No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

Excellent. I hope more Worldcom execs will join him; he didn't mishandle 11 billion dollars all alone.
      [volun2]
      NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
      Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
      <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
      <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Originally posted by Pokerface
        Excellent. I hope more Worldcom execs will join him; he didn't mishandle 11 billion dollars all alone.
        Me too!
        Become a supporting member!
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Their fraud affected potentially millions of investors around the world.. While it is not the same as armed robbery, multiply the crime by the number of victims.

25 years was light, IMO.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X