Scale of Solar System

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scale of Solar System

Nice educational video about the scale of our solar system.

sigpic

Re: Scale of Solar System

Great find, PL_OSTRY! I hadn't seen that video. +rep for another space buff!

The distances and scale of objects in the 3 dimensional cosmos are truly astounding. Add to that the 4th dimension of Time for a completely mind-blowing sense of how completely insignificant we are in the grand scheme of things.

To continue in the vein of size, here is a 20 minute episode of Cosmic Journeys: "How Large is the Universe".

For any of you that are interested in these types of things, I HIGHLY recommend the SpaceRip series of videos (which includes Cosmic Journeys) that can be found on YouTube and Hulu.. Also worth watching is Carl Sagan's series, Cosmos, which was made in 1980 but remains relevant today.

sigpic

Comment

For brevity's sake in terms of the sense of how large the universe is, one can turn to Cosmic Voyage, an IMAX film of a few years past.

Comment

Just a a related aside, check out Universe Sandbox on Steam. A really cool, well, space sandbox where you can do neat things like mess with Saturns gravity and see it's moons get pulled out of orbit and stuff. 10% off till Friday...
        Do or do not, there is no try....
        -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

I love Khan Academy, their bio notes are extremely helpful.

Former TG-21st
          Swift Mobile On Target

Comment

Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
              - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
              - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
              - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
              - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
              - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
              - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Rock on. I remember that episode. :)

Comment

Ahh I love how Pluto was still a planet in that episode :)

Former TG-21st
                  Swift Mobile On Target

Comment

This infographic at Space.com gives some good perspective on the Solar Systems size.

sigpic

Comment

Love this stuff, completely blows my mind.

Comment

Pale Blue Dot

I would like to add "Every video game made and played countless times on that piece of pixel......."
                        sigpic

Comment

I love the Sagan videos. He got me interested in astronomy and cosmology in my early years.

I found a clip at Wimp.com discussing the size difference of galaxies that seems to fit the theme of this thread. Watch it here.

Keep up the great finds!

sigpic

Comment

+1 to Carl Sagan's cosmos series. Usually watch it about once a year because its incredibly tranquil and really puts our frail existence into context. The music is great too. Too bad Netflix no longer streams the entire series :(
                            Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
                            Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by aeroripper View Post
                              +1 to Carl Sagan's cosmos series. Usually watch it about once a year because its incredibly tranquil and really puts our frail existence into context. The music is great too. Too bad Netflix no longer streams the entire series :(
                              You can find Cosmos on Hulu. They are also on YouTube.. but in my short search, I couldn't find the full episodes.

sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X