Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The latest public menace: Family basketball hoops

March Sadness: Your Tax Dollars at Work

There's some funny business going on in Delaware, and it's not the kind that makes you laugh.

Apparently someone complained about several portable basketball poles people had along the curb in Claymont. So the Delaware Department of Transportation took them all away.

One of the encounters was caught on tape by Delaware Online. The website also posted photos of one resident, identified as Melissa McCafferty, sitting on top of the basketball pole to keep it from being hauled away. When her visibly agitated husband, John, argues with the DelDOT crew, a city official tells him, "I do not want to arrest you or your wife, but that is where this is going."

It appears the basketball hoop is on a cul-de-sac, which is where one might usually want to play basketball. Also, McCafferty claims not everyone's hoop was taken, just eight selected households. Best part of the video is when the city official tells McCafferty they will dump his pole in his front yard if he wants to keep it...and then denies promising that.

Now, I can imagine it might be irritating I guess to see a lot of basketball hoops along the curb, but it's not as irritating as people leaving their garage doors open to reveal decades of garbage they can't let go of. That's not illegal, but these poles in Delaware are considered a violation of the state's Clear Zone law, "which prohibits hoops, trees, shrubs and other objects from being within seven feet of the pavement's edge in subdivisions." And you need that area clear because...um, well...you need it clear so that...er...I don't really know.
    Watch the video of the hoops being removed, it's both sad and infuriating.

What a complete waste of time, money, and energy. Although the US is a great place to live, it's also one of the most petty and punitive countries in the western world.
    |TG-X| mp40x

Register for the Forums! | Get on Teamspeak! | Play Squad! | Join Discord! | Support Tactical Gamer!

Re: The latest public menace: Family basketball hoops

which prohibits hoops, trees, shrubs and other objects from being within seven feet of the pavement's edge in subdivisions
    Wow. Apparently some HOA upgraded one of their mandates into a state law in Delaware. Someone try to pass some **** like that in MN, we'd probably lynch their worthless asses inside of an hour.

Comment

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/1282...tball-pole.htm

DelDOT crews acted on Friday March 25, to remove seven basketball goals within public right-of-way in the Ashbourne Hills and Radnor Green subdivisions in New Castle County. DelDOT did so only after receiving a complaint from a resident of the area in which the basketball hoops were located.

http://thestir.cafemom.com/in_the_ne...basketball_for

Tom Blythe must be happy, since he’s one of the few that complained about the poles in the first place. It seems that kids were actually using them to play basketball instead of other popular teen activities like fooling around, smoking pot, or shoplifting. According to Mr. Blythe, the kids were “making all kinds of noise and disturbing the peace.”
      Clearly this action resulted from a neighbor complaining. I doubt the state DOT drives around looking for violations to pounce on. Eight hoop owners were notified by certified mail to remove their hoops or the state would. One was removed by the owner and the couple on camera was working with their state rep when DOT showed.

I was wondering why the female official was threatening the homeowners with arrest (for taunting the DOT workers). Another site ID her as State Police Lieutenant Jennifer Griffin. The male uniformed officer was unnamed.

Comment

Basketball poles wouldn't bother me in the slightest but I'm gonna have a go at playing devil's advocate here....

The article mentions "several portable basketball poles". Those are the ones with wheels on it, so wheel it out to the curb to use it, and put it away when you are done. As far as the permanent in-ground one in the video, the fact that it was there for so long makes no difference, there is a law against it, and someone complained. I'm not sure what the motivation behind the complaint was, but if someone complains, there has to be a response. As far as the drama queen narrating the video saying the DOT lady's sole job is to go around pulling up basketball poles, I'm sure that's not her sole duty, and she is probably just doing what her higher ups have told her to do.

My community has a lot of what some (myself included) would consider ridiculous laws. I and a lot of my neighbors don't follow them, and no one bothers us, but as soon as someone complains, I'm sure the authorities would start enforcing them. Don't like it? Try and get the law changed through the proper channels, standing in your yard yelling isn't going to get you anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Harlequin View Post
          the fact that it was there for so long makes no difference, there is a law against it
          I'd imagine a 60 year old basketball pole would have been grandfathered in. Honestly though, this is just going to be a PR nightmare for DelDOT and they'll probably issue some sort of silly public statement and then bury the situation as best they can.

Comment

First of all it's a culdesac. It's not some traffic inducing major street. Second of all it's in the front of the home owner's house. Some stupid law exists in Delaware, and some dumb citizen decides to actually try to get others to enforce it. Furthermore it is actually enforced and lastly it's enforced so poorly. It's like 6 degrees of stupidity.

All I can say is that Delaware sucks.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X