pi is wrong

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pi is wrong

And here is miss Vihart again explaining to us why our focus on pi is wrong.

Re: pi is wrong

Celebrate Tau day (6/28) next month. http://tauday.com/
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Forget Pi day. Tau day is on! Remember to eat two pies on Tau day.

Comment

Of course, that makes working with Torque a problem*. That said, I had a math instructor back in high school spend an entire "pi day" class to talk about this. It was probably one of the most fascinating lectures I've ever attended.

tau = rF*sin(theta), which would now be working with units of tau radians to find tau...in Torque. Not a major thing but still a point to consider. :P

Comment

Meh, torque is a less fundamental concept. So we can just pick another letter for torque. :p How about just capital T?

Comment

Temperature is T so that wouldn't work.

I think I am going to stick with pi since it would really confuse me if I had to change. Also in many cases it wouldn't make life easier, at least not for me since in physics we use pi as often as 2 pi and for example pi^2/3 would become a mess pretty quickly.
            If people are becoming so bored when playing that they have to resort to this immature behaviour I will give them something to do, call it a project. The project is "appeal a ban". - Wicks

Comment

On torque and other issues of symbol conflicts: http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=1468783

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by Katanama View Post
                I think I am going to stick with pi since it would really confuse me if I had to change. Also in many cases it wouldn't make life easier, at least not for me since in physics we use pi as often as 2 pi and for example pi^2/3 would become a mess pretty quickly.
                In what context do you raise pi to 2/3? Where do you use pi and not 2pi?

Comment

Well it might be pi^3/2 cant really remember but in many-body physics/condensed matter physics you sometimes have front factors that include the third root of pi and stuff like that. I am not saying that it would be a problem for people not in physics/math. And it wouldn't be a problem for those either just different front factors that doesn't look nearly as pretty. I just wrote a program to perform monte carlo integration where I had to integrate something with pi^2/3, just a function that had been given, which is why I used that as example. But now that I think about it my argument for why this makes the problem more memory heavy is not really valid...
                  If people are becoming so bored when playing that they have to resort to this immature behaviour I will give them something to do, call it a project. The project is "appeal a ban". - Wicks

Comment

Well it's okay to have the same letters for various things so long as it's clear what's being used in which context. I mean tau is used for other stuff too.

It may be that you've learned to do math with pi. That's why pi keeps going. We need to institute global change to use tau, so future generations will be just as comfortable using tau as we do with pi. ;)

Comment

This thread makes my head hurt. What ever happened to talking about Mario? :)

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

I think you're in love Sordavie...

I just got out of applied math, senior year and none of this makes sense....public education ftw?
                        sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Comment

Im taking Calc II this summer.. Thanks for this, I first heard of Tau last year while in the midst of Trigonometry and Pre-Calc.

Trig would have been much easier to grasp with Tau memorizing the unit circle values would have been more natural, and let us not forget, we dont need to abandon Pi to embrace Tau.

Comment

It's not so much that it makes things "easier" as less messy. But less messy means that the meat of the material isn't obscured by how it's presented.

The same principle applies in computer programming. I prefer terseness because I don't want to obscure the unique intent of a piece of code with verbose boilerplate syntax.

Comment

Well with what she said, the concept is easier to grasp. I struggled with Calculus 1 as a result of a lot of silly confusion over Pi. At work I had to help 5th and 6th graders with this concept of Pi and how it applies to geometry. I honestly believe if we were teaching Tau it would have been easier.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X