• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Habitable exoplanet confirmed? Warm and wet, scientists say

http://dvice.com/archives/2011/05/gliese-581d-con.php
    sigpic

Re: Habitable exoplanet confirmed? Warm and wet, scientists say

Yeah, but what has possibly evolved on this world? What if there is some sort of germ that acts like the common cold, except we'd have no defense against it? Cue 100% mortality rate until suitable antibiotics is created for it.

Comment

Good. When can I move there. Earth sucks.
      "Press the red shiny button"~Vortex
      "I may give out, but I'll never give in." ~ Lou Bond "To the Establishment"

Comment

Well what's not confirmed is that it is warm and wet. What is confirmed is that mathematical models are consistent with its being warm and wet, given plausible assumptions. Of course lots of assumptions are plausible, but that doesn't make them possible or even probable. There's no way for them to tell whether the planet actually has an atmosphere yet.

It's actually unlikely that alien viruses would affect us. Viruses require compatible host cells to take over for replication. Given the assumption that there are no humans on some alien planet, viruses that evolve there would have no pressures to produce mechanisms compatible with human cells. The vast majority of bacteria on earth is not harmful to us. Only relatively few kinds are pathogenic.

Science journalism has gotten better, but it still sucks pretty badly. It's so inaccurate. :\

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X