Your Earliest Digital Trace

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Earliest Digital Trace

What is the earliest extant record of you posting anything to the Internet?

Post a description and a link here and we'll see how deep our collective roots in cyberspace go here at TG.

No unverified claims please -- we are looking for traces of you on the Net that are still in existence . . .
    sigpic

Re: Your Earliest Digital Trace

WEll, I'd love to be able to give some sort of verifiable proof other than being able to tell you that my screen name still exists (which it does, and if you have signed up for AOL lifestream, you can search for it), but my earliest footprint would be creating my original AOL 1.5 account in august of 1993. Unfortunately, tools like the internet archive and such didnt exist back then, so nothing I did (including the very rudimentary webpage I made which had midi sound files playing in the background) still exists anywhere.

As far as proof goes, the best I can give you is from 2002 using the internet archive showing the index page of my CS clan's forums. The user named Phoenix who posted in the -=R=- Admins section at the top is me. Oh for the glory days of CS 1.4, CAL-M+ and banhammers galore. As a bit of further proof, two of the other names on those forums I'm still friends with on facebook, so if you have my on your friends list, you can see them. Malevolent is Joe Taylor and Easykill is Sean Kingham.
    http://web.archive.org/web/200206251...ms/default.asp

EDIT:
    Also, here's the profile page for said user, just to prove that it's me:
    http://web.archive.org/web/200207200...e=display&id=9

Comment

Ahh AOL. I wish I had kept every CompuServe and AOL sign-up disk that had been mailed to me or stuffed in magazines back in the 1990s. Build a boat or something out of them . . .

Of course, some TGers may also have been on BBSs (dial-up bulletin boards) in the 1980s (I was, ever so briefly), but here the 'contest' is strictly defined as extant traces still found on the Internet.

As self-appointed adjudicator of the contest, I ACCEPT Ferris Bueller's trace (above), as it is STILL accessible.

Thank you for playing and please pick up your free tee-shirt on the way out! ;-)

Last edited by E-Male; 06-11-2011, 06:21 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

The trace from the archive? I's most definitely accessible. I just clicked on it not 20 seconds ago and it came up. You have to wait about 15 seconds while the archive loads.

Comment

My earliest trace would be my first e-mail address I suppose. It is [email protected]. That's right, netscape. Back when it was the major browser of choice. Back when people talked about AOL keywords on TV. You can't get a Netscape e-mail anymore since it's now owned by AOL, everything has been merged. I can sincerely say that I've likely been subscribed to every spam list available.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
            The trace from the archive? I's most definitely accessible. I just clicked on it not 20 seconds ago and it came up. You have to wait about 15 seconds while the archive loads.
            I pulled it up just fine too!
            Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post

My bad. You are correct!

Thank you for playing and please pick up your free tee-shirt on the way out! ;-)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sirusblk View Post
                My earliest trace would be my first e-mail address I suppose. It is [email protected]. That's right, netscape. Back when it was the major browser of choice. Back when people talked about AOL keywords on TV. You can't get a Netscape e-mail anymore since it's now owned by AOL, everything has been merged. I can sincerely say that I've likely been subscribed to every spam list available.
                Ahhh, Netscape.

We Geeks hoped that they would blow IE away.

In 1994 I was publisher of The Internet Business Journal. One of our issues had MOSAIC on the cover underneath the words "Internet Killer Application."

Netscape killed Mosaic, AOL killed Netscape. Then AOL committed a slow suicide.

To qualify for the free Tee Shirt, Sirusblk, I need to see a 'physical' trace of your Net past, so just an e-mail address will not do, although it does indicate the genealogy of your Net presence and gives you definite geek aura.

As a constellation prize you may stare at this geek girl for ten (and only ten) seconds:

sigpic

Comment

My first modem was a Zoom Telephonics Modem //e. 110/300 baud. It's scary when you can type faster than the data could be transmitted.

I upgraded fairly quickly to an AppleCat 212 though.
                  Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Well the only real proof I can find is my old xfire account from 2006. http://www.xfire.com/profile/gijoe131313/

I had a BF1942 account when it came out in 2002, but I was unable to find any site that has existing account info on BF1942. I was also part of a clan called FragMax Gaming Winnipeg, but they shut down all their forums and moved on so there is nothing i could find archived. You guys got me beat anyways, in 2002 i was 9 or 10 so...
                    sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Comment

I wish I could have recorded me playing Unreal tournament on a 56k modem. Load map, make sandwich, show spawn screen for split second, cut to loading next map, rinse and repeat. My old tripod account is still active:
                      http://sirusblk.tripod.com/
                      I last messed with it when I was in high school. But I started that website in 6th grade. Don't ask why it looks so weird now. I got involved with web design before there was a concept of CSS 2.0.

Comment

I still use my same Hotmail account from 1996. Yeah, I know, a heathen for not jumping to Gmail or whatever. Other than that, I don't think there really exists an older record of my Intarwebs history.

As for actual postings... I'm a hardcore lurker and I think the earliest community I actually posted to was an old group by the name of *TEAM STFU* (Superior Tactical Fragging Unit, or something to that effect), way back in the WONnet days of Half-Life games (in this particular case, TFC). They had an implosion of internal politics and drama sometime between 2000 and 2003 (don't recall anymore), so I don't believe that the original website exists in any form online.

Though to be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if someone here recognizes the name. At the height of their popularity, they had more than a couple thousand of active posters for what amounted to a small group of public TFC servers (plus a few other random games).

Comment

For easy to verify stuff... My posts to the Angband Ladder are still up, from 2003.. As are a few of my bugreports on Usenet, although my early early posts don't seem to have been archived by google (repositories, how do they work?) rec.games.roguelike.angband used to be one place I hung out.

As for older areas.. Vimm's Lair, from 2000-2003 or so, but as their messageboard "rolls off" once full, after a while archived pages get pushed out in a FIFO like way, so I have no evidence of that. Antagonist, Inc messageboards, but those have been down since the turn of the century, and the userpages aren't archived of archive.org.

Before that, I played on BBS's a lot.

<04:11:24> *** You are now talking in channel: "TFP - Task Force Proteus"
                          <04:16:25> "|TG-XV| Tralic": this channel is so gay
                          DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Comment

As rayzer from New Mexico Tech a memo I wrote in 2005 lives on... in google's cache.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...www.google.com

An old WWW server usage statistics from 1994...

http://infohost.nmt.edu/stats/usage/week10.html

Comment

Originally posted by gijoe View Post
                              Well the only real proof I can find is my old xfire account from 2006. http://www.xfire.com/profile/gijoe131313/

I had a BF1942 account when it came out in 2002, but I was unable to find any site that has existing account info on BF1942. I was also part of a clan called FragMax Gaming Winnipeg, but they shut down all their forums and moved on so there is nothing i could find archived. You guys got me beat anyways, in 2002 i was 9 or 10 so...
                              In 2002 I was 40. Soon I will be fifty. When you are fifty, I will be dead.

In the meantime, please accept this tee shirt for playing the contest!

sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X