Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New bridge in San Francisco: manufactured in China

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/26/bu...pagewanted=all

We don't manufacture bridges anymore?!?!
    "Press the red shiny button"~Vortex
    "I may give out, but I'll never give in." ~ Lou Bond "To the Establishment"

Re: New bridge in San Francisco: manufactured in China

I'm sure we manufacture bridges but, from what I have been seeing the past few years, Americans can't afford American products. I think that this notion is validated by a statement in the linked article:

But construction of the bridge decks and the materials that went into them are a Made in China affair. California officials say the state saved hundreds of millions of dollars by turning to China.

sigpic

Comment

There is nothing wrong with this unless it is unsafe.

Protectionism sucks and ends up, in the long run, hurting the people you are trying to protect.

The fact is we but stuff from not only China but from many countries other that the Gran Ole' USA.

And, believe it or not, they buy stuff from the Grand Ole' USA as well.

Adam Smith is often mis-understood and used to explain away horrible behavior of those that claim to be capitalists. But he was absolutely correct when he said that you shouldn't protect your corn producers if another nations corn producers can supply said corn more efficiently.

The fact that China can provide "a bridge" and be clear across the Pacific ocean is a wonderful thing and we should take advantage of it.
      Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
      - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
      - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
      - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
      - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
      - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
      - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Transportation is probably an issue. Moving giant pieces of metal and concrete over land is pretty complicated. China probably has a suitable foundary on its coastline. Does the US steel industry have something comparable? Perhaps on the Atlantic. Moving it through Panama might be too expensive?
        Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Sweden is a big exporter of Iron and industrial equipment to China

http://www.swedenabroad.com/Page____20803.aspx (babelfish it)

What i am getting at is that the bridge will be easily set up IKEA style :)

you don't get earthquakes up there right?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a more serious note: Could it not have something to do with all the money that the US has borrowed from China?
          The terms of the loan could involve letting China get the opportunity to land construction contracts in (or for) the US.
          Something like "you get this and we get this". It is not that uncommon as far as I know.
          Last edited by Lien; 06-27-2011, 06:52 PM. Reason: added seriousness
          "Nemo Saltat Sobrius, Nisi Forte Insanit"

Comment

Itís the global economy. Years ago, it was Japan, South Korea, Brazil, Russia and France dumping steel, now itís the Chinese. California is footing the bill (bonds paid with tolls) without federal money to prevent the Surface Transportation Assistance Act/Buy America Act from kicking in.
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface...Assistance_Act

you don't get earthquakes up there right?
            Old Bridge

Comment

Its funny you go anywhere on three or four continents and you hear the same arguments. all fear based protectionist ,no immigrants, buy local never changes
              sigpic

Comment

The problem is the stipulation that government can't shop around for price that it has to buy local. Yay America and everything but America is by far not the greatest industrial power when it comes to quality and price in a great deal of things.

Comment

One wise man once said " God created universe and man, but everything else is made in China"
                  sigpic

Comment

Ironically, good china comes from China (instead of other Asian countries).

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X