Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Representative" democracy

http://www.thirty-thousand.org/

The framers of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights intended that the total population of Congressional districts never exceed 50 to 60 thousand. Currently, the average population size of the districts is nearly 700,000 and, consequently, the principle of proportionally equitable representation has been abandoned.
    http://www.calwatchdog.com/2011/07/0...n-legislature/

[...]a statewide initiative effort designed to expand the number of politicians in the state by reducing the size of political districts for Assembly and state Senate candidates. The idea is modeled roughly on the New Hampshire House of Representatives, which has the nation’s highest 400 members — each which enjoy the modest salary of $200 for every two years.
    There’s one representative for every 29,151 Iowans (as of 2008 data) and one Assembly member for every 459,458 Californians (now 483,000). There’s an elected representative in New Hampshire’s house for every 3,290 of that state’s residents, which is the best level of representation in the nation.
    In the current system, he said, voting percentages are declining because people know there is no way they can affect the political process. After his reform, “people will come out of the woodwork to participate.” His argument to the Left: Under this system, the rich won’t have all the power. To the Right: Broader representation will lead to less social engineering and better fiscal management. To everyone: All of a sudden, money won’t be as big of a factor and lobbyists won’t be able to have the control they now have.
    On splitting California to avoid lumping disparate populations with competing interests together:

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...tory?track=rss

By 1993, a new plan by Statham would have separated San Francisco and Los Angeles by dividing the state into three parts — North California, Central California and South California.

The Times' S.J. Diamond predicted other names would be suggested.

"We could have (reading from the top down) Logland, Fogland and Smogland," she wrote. "Or Insolvent, Impoverished and Indigent."
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Re: "Representative" democracy

Where do you plan to seat the 5,000 to 6,000 congressmen/women and put their staffs? The 10,000 plus with the federal papers? 435 have a hard time getting anything done, 6,000 would NEVER get anything done. Electoral College would equally become a mess.

Comment

They can sit at home and work in their bathrobe, just like me!

If that's not good enough, rent a big drafty barn in North Dakota.

I don't mind if they get "nothing" done. It's when they "get stuff done" that we're all in danger.

But if you really want to "get stuff done", hire a dictator. No problem about people squabbling, then. Dictators are really good at "getting stuff done".

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I've become very pessimistic about our "Representative" government. They are more opt to "Represent" themselves and special interests rather than the majority of their constituents. Having more of them would only compound the travesty.

Comment

Originally posted by draeh View Post
          I've become very pessimistic about our "Representative" government. They are more opt to "Represent" themselves and special interests rather than the majority of their constituents. Having more of them would only compound the travesty.
          I came here to say that.

sigpic

Comment

So get rid of representation. Go to direct democracy, with super-majorities required to insure that minorities aren't abused.

Allow vote by proxy so that we can personally assign our representatives instead of electing them. We can revoke proxy at any time and reassign to someone else or vote for ourselves. Nothing says that every "representative" has to be chosen democratically, that they represent the same number of people, nor that we have to pick them only every 4 years.

Comment

... and how would we go about changing the system? Won't we have to ask this of the same people that already don't listen to us?

Along those lines... why is their a term limit on the president and not one for the House or Senate?

When you come to the correct conclusion on that question you'll understand why I'm of the opinion that it will take another American Revolution (the one where we march on Washington and throw the whole lot out en masse) to make a real difference.

Yes, I am pessimistic about our government.

Comment

Originally posted by draeh View Post
                When you come to the correct conclusion on that question you'll understand why I'm of the opinion that it will take another American Revolution (the one where we march on Washington and throw the whole lot out en masse) to make a real difference.

Yes, I am pessimistic about our government.
                I don't disagree with that. I figure we're doomed and this is all academic. We may have to go back through the Mad Max phase of civilization. I'm certainly not inspired to worry about the long run.

Comment

Just let me know when the march on Washington happens, Ill be there with a big sign

YOU ARE ALL FIRED AND SOME WILL GO TO JAIL!

Comment

Direct Democracy is a problem for a number of reasons not only including the astronomical cost involved and the average voter's intelligence level.

Comment

Not only that, but with Direct Democracy you can't successfully disenfranchise someone through gerrymandering and plunder them with the illusion that they have a say over anything!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X