• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AnimalMother
    started a topic Amy Winehouse is dead

Amy Winehouse is dead

The singer, Amy Winhouse was found dead today aged 27

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14262237

Personally not surprised given the drug and drink problems, but it's still a shame when people die.

• johnflenaly
    replied
    Re: Amy Winehouse is dead

Originally posted by Mindkill View Post
    I'm sure you are right concerning this (as evidenced by the billions of people that are not suffering from addiction) but, I still feel that a lot of the people that get addicted have the idea that "It can't happen to me" or "I can control it" or are just too young to understand it. Then, there is also the group that comes from families with a history of drug abuse and addiction where that type of behavior is accepted and sometimes even encouraged. From a previous post by you, I see that you escaped this type of cycle and I applaud that victory on your part.

I also agree with this statement. Many of the people with addictions are unwilling to accept responsibility for their actions and I was not trying to imply otherwise in any of my previous posts. It is my firm belief that being addicted to a drug should not, in any way, be a defense against breaking the law.

The whole point of my previous posts was this: Addicts are ill and need help, not derision.
    No argument with addictions, I've seen the power of them, that's the problem with drugs once you are addicted to them you power of reasoning is nil. As far as "It can't happen to me" or " I can handle it" I stand by my original statement "stupid". To much information out there showing the downside. To young I agree with, but I'm guessing our ideas of to young may be different :)

Leave a comment:

• johnflenaly
    replied

Doubles grrrrrr

Leave a comment:

• Mindkill
    replied

Originally posted by johnflenaly View Post
    Its not the addition that I think there stupid for, its trying the substance in the first place knowing full well the consequences. Yes, in this day and age you have to be living under a rock not to know the consequences for drug use.
    I'm sure you are right concerning this (as evidenced by the billions of people that are not suffering from addiction) but, I still feel that a lot of the people that get addicted have the idea that "It can't happen to me" or "I can control it" or are just too young to understand it. Then, there is also the group that comes from families with a history of drug abuse and addiction where that type of behavior is accepted and sometimes even encouraged. From a previous post by you, I see that you escaped this type of cycle and I applaud that victory on your part.

Edit: What I was trying to get across is the fact that in general people are not taking responsibility for there actions.
    I also agree with this statement. Many of the people with addictions are unwilling to accept responsibility for their actions and I was not trying to imply otherwise in any of my previous posts. It is my firm belief that being addicted to a drug should not, in any way, be a defense against breaking the law.

The whole point of my previous posts was this: Addicts are ill and need help, not derision.

Leave a comment:

• johnflenaly
    replied

Originally posted by Flarfignuggen View Post
    Nice strawman. But to challenge your point, I'm not saying they are guilt-free. But to assume that they could easily turn their problems off like a light switch is beyond naive and a complete lack of empathy. Getting involved in the drugs was a bad decision but to immediately condemn them to death for it is just foolish.
    Its not the addition that I think there stupid for, its trying the substance in the first place knowing full well the consequences. Yes, in this day and age you have to be living under a rock not to know the consequences for drug use.

Edit: What I was trying to get across is the fact that in general people are not taking responsibility for there actions.

Leave a comment:

• sapientiea
    replied

...Don't care for this kind of stupidity, don't care that she is dead, don't care at all.

Well that was what I wanted to say...thanks!

Leave a comment:

• sapientiea
    replied

Double

Leave a comment:

• Flarfignuggen
    replied

Oh of course my mistake these people are complete guilt free and not responsible for there own actions. Like the alcoholic, he has a "addiction" its not his fault he got behind the wheel and killed that family in the van. Or the two kids a columbine, they were picked on and mistreated and their "depression" made them shoot up the school.
    Nice strawman. But to challenge your point, I'm not saying they are guilt-free. But to assume that they could easily turn their problems off like a light switch is beyond naive and a complete lack of empathy. Getting involved in the drugs was a bad decision but to immediately condemn them to death for it is just foolish.

Leave a comment:

• Acreo Aeneas
    replied

Originally posted by gijoe View Post
    Yeah it is a choice. You have to be pretty freakin retarded to not know that cocaine, heroin, meth are addictive and if you try it then yes...it is a choice. Cause you chose to do it, I dont see how your having a problem seeing it. Its pretty much cut and dry.
    Not everything in this life is simply "cut-and-dry". What if you work law enforcement (say IDK an undercover DEA agent working a drug bust). While on the job you had to take cocaine and use it regularly. Sure, you might say this LEO has a choice between taking it and not taking it. However, if he refused, not only is his cover blown, he'd probably end up dead. If you think about it some more, not every addict had a clear-cut decision to make when he/she became addicted to whatever they got addicted to.

In the case of some friends from college, it was often a combination of peer pressure, personal problems, death of a close family member (or friend), illness, PTSD, etc. One might not even be in the right frame of mind to see the obvious choice before them. Ironically, I too haven't met any clear-cut drug addicts who willingly and knowingly went down the addiction road.

Back to Amy Winehouse...

Anyone find any good Amy Winehouse videos that doesn't show her slurring her speech and such?

Leave a comment:

• johnflenaly
    replied

Oh of course my mistake these people are complete guilt free and not responsible for there own actions. Like the alcoholic, he has a "addiction" its not his fault he got behind the wheel and killed that family in the van. Or the two kids a columbine, they were picked on and mistreated and their "depression" made them shoot up the school.

Leave a comment:

• Skud
    replied

Originally posted by Flarfignuggen View Post
    The main problem with saying "Oh they had a choice" is that for the most part, when they "choose" to get involved with such drugs, they're either cripplingly depressed or suffering some other similar issue before they even start. Taking a hard drug like cocaine or being a raging alcoholic when you're starting off mentally ill is a whole different ballpark from the random stupid kid looking for a high. A hell of a lot of other celebrities have been on absurdly lethal regimens and made it out. In Winehouse's and the others' cases? Well, they obviously did not.
    This x 1000.

I've never met a healthy addict of drugs or alcohol.

Leave a comment:

• Mindkill
    replied

I found an interesting article on Time.com's Health section titled: "Could Rehab Have Saved Amy Winehouse?". Patti Davis, the author, paints a picture of the path to addiction from the perspective of a recovering addict. Of course, her situation is just one of the many possible ways a person can fall into addiction.

@johnflenaly: I agree that there is a lot of anti-drug media out there, thankfully. But, I'm sure you'd agree that there is also a lot of media that glorifies drug use as well.

Leave a comment:

• Flarfignuggen
    replied

The main problem with saying "Oh they had a choice" is that for the most part, when they "choose" to get involved with such drugs, they're either cripplingly depressed or suffering some other similar issue before they even start. Taking a hard drug like cocaine or being a raging alcoholic when you're starting off mentally ill is a whole different ballpark from the random stupid kid looking for a high. A hell of a lot of other celebrities have been on absurdly lethal regimens and made it out. In Winehouse's and the others' cases? Well, they obviously did not.

As for quitting "cold turkey"... Some people can, some people can't (my grandfather smoked for 15 years...then decided to just quit when it got too expensive and had no problems--my grandmother had a hell of a time quitting and even then, she got re-addicted to tobacco later, which ultimately killed her via pancreatic cancer). I can handle it for the random minor things like caffeine but I'm not going to pretend I know what it's like to go through the withdrawal symptoms of prolonged hardcore alcohol and cocaine abuse.

Leave a comment:

• johnflenaly
    replied

Originally posted by Mindkill View Post
    Most times, people get addicted to stuff like cocaine, heroin, meth, and even cigarettes (in my case) when they are young. I started smoking at 18 years old and at that point in my life, I foolishly assumed that I was going to live forever. The thought that these little sticks of tobacco were addictive, let alone the fact that they were going to cost me a good deal of cash and years off of my life, never entered my head. I would think that this is a common problem concerning addiction, whether it be a hard or soft drug.

So.. Is there a choice of whether or not to use a drug? Of course there is. Are the people that are getting addicted to drugs generally old enough or had enough life experience to actually understand the consequences of that choice? I would say probably not, in most cases. And for anyone to sit there, in judgement of Ms. Winehouse (or me, for that matter) and to call her stupid is pretty sub-human, regardless of the train-wreck that her life had become. If you have never been physically addicted to a drug, you should probably keep your mouth shut or you end up looking like a callous, foolish a-hole.

As for Ms. Winehouse, I never listened to her music and know virtually nothing about her, except that she had been dealing with addiction for some time. I mourn the loss of a fellow human being.
    I'm sorry but its not like the information is hidden, the internet, tv, books and every other form of media(and in my case others close to me) out there shows drug use, how its bad and that it in fact can kill people. Even a freaking 12 year old can understand death. After watching several of my family destroy there lives including my mother over drug use, I have little sympathy for these people.

Leave a comment:

• gunjunkie
    replied

The 27 thing is Saturn's return. I don't buy into Astrology myself (my wife is heavily into it), but there are a awful lot of astrological reasons why 27 would be an extremely important year.

That said, news is not shocking, but sad all the same. I thought she was a great talent.

Leave a comment:

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
X