Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Los Angeles works hard to create more homeless

Smells like a land grab to me.

The owner of the church where Kill Bill was filmed and many others are being forced off their land, out in the middle of nowhere in Antelope Valley.

Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Re: Los Angeles works hard to create more homeless

Wow that's deplorable.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

If how it's presented is factual, then there's problems.

Reason.tv needs to work badly on presenting a balanced story before I can start to take them seriously. That was 9:50 of "GUBMINT TAKIN PEOPLE LAND AWAY 4 SO THAY CAN SELL IT", with broad speculation on the part of the presenters as to who might benefit from this land "in the middle of nowhere". The part where they tried to ambush the elected official with a very obviously worded attack felt forced, to say the least.

It's equally possible the county is doing preventative anti-lawsuit work. People have sued and won for stranger stuff than "My unconnected water supply was toxic to me, government's at fault"

Comment

This doesn't feel right to me. Surely its onesided but clearly the government was making no attempt at explaining its position.

I want to know why PhoneHenge was deemed nessicary to be torn down? Their are odder constructs and that certainly was a really neat cultral local.

Matt what case were you mentioning?

Comment

Stuff like this, mostly.

Personal injury courts are where you go if you want to get a good laugh, but it's when these lawyers graduate into bigger lawsuits that I start to cry.

Edit; Ytman, I caution you not to confuse "Making no attempt to explain their position" and getting into a verbal sparring match with someone being facetious who immediately demonstrates an argumentative agenda.

Comment

*RAANT*

Honestly, after serving on a jury I don't blame the lawyers for these cases... or even the plantiffs. I blame the lame jurry who thinks a thumb injury is on par with a man's arm (my father being a lawyer; he had a case where a clearly faulty machine was modified without notification and resulted in a man's arm being chewed off he got around 2-5 million I don't fully remember).

Jurries SUCK so much when they do stupid awards for stupid things and give a low ball insult (500$) for a back/neck injury because and this is quoted "She obviously is hurt and in pain. What isn't obvious is how much we should give her. Her suffering has no price, I can't place a value on it... so we should award her no money for her injuries."

But I digress.

------

Fair point Matt; it is another agenda I should look more into then with an open mind.

Comment

http://neveryetmelted.com/2011/07/05...telope-valley/

Building codes are represented to be necessary to protect the public. In urban California, at least, there is a reasonable argument for earthquake protection to be a factor taken into account in building standards. But codes obviously go characteristically far beyond addressing potential hazards to the general community. Building codes function to prevent competition from outside licensed guild-member businesses. Building codes protect the interests of unions. Building codes also operate as a secondary system of zoning, to protect the interests and impose the preferences of existing property owners. Building codes, finally, are also one more revenue source and a means of creating power.

In a lot of places, New York City would be a classic example, building codes describe an absolutely unattainable dream of perfection which never does and never can exist in the real world. Consequently, all buildings and all building owners are always guilty and in violation of lots of things. Officialdom can crack down and enforce the entire code any time it chooses. Make some kind of waves for officialdom, and watch the inspectors arrive, whip out their notepads and start writing.
              http://www.laweekly.com/2011-06-23/n...-property-war/

L.A. Weekly found in a six-week investigation that county inspectors and armed DA investigators also are pursuing victimless misdemeanors and code violations, with sometimes tragic results. The government can define land on which residents have lived for years as "vacant" if their cabins, homes and mobile homes are on parcels where the land use hasn't been legally established. Some have been jailed for defying the officials in downtown Los Angeles, while others have lost their savings and belongings trying to meet the county's "final zoning enforcement orders." Los Angeles County has left some residents, who appeared to be doing no harm, homeless.

Some top county officials insist that nothing new is unfolding. Michael Noyes, deputy in charge of code enforcement for Los Angeles County District Attorney Steve Cooley, says, "We've had a unit in the office through the '70s and '80s." But key members of the county NAT team say that "definitely, yes," a major focus on unincorporated areas was launched in 2006. Cooley declined to comment through his media spokesman.
              Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X