X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Brave New World" vs. "1984"

Thoughts?

Re: "Brave New World" vs. "1984"

I think both are true in today's modern society. Of course all of this was just as true then as it is now. Isn't it all relative?

I will contend however that Huxley was probably more true about the US specifically and other first world nations and their "first world" problems, rather than Orwell.

Comment

Both are the two sides of the same coin. Orwell represented the proverbial stick, Huxley the carrot. Such things are inevitably part of the democratic cycle. To assume that one can be true without the other is a fallacy. Threats without force behind them are useless, while failing to reward at least some of the people some of the time is the surest way to create unrest. Huxley's style may work on most of the population, but there will always be outliers, some of which by choice, some of who have no choice.

Comment

Eh, I much preferred Yevgeny Zamyatin'sWe.
        It does seem that Brave New World is closer to what we are experiencing now than 1984, but we're still a long, long way from either.
        |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
        Irregular since 2007.

Comment

We is just awesome. It's been a few years since I read it and I was just thinking of rereading it. I made the mistake of reading 1984, Brave New World, We, and Anthem one after another and so I have a little trouble separating the particulars in my mind. :( It's kinda like reading a series (out of chronological order, at that) and trying to remember what happened in which book! By the way, Anthem is hardly worth mentioning. Maybe I was expecting too much, but it was a disappointment.

It Can't Happen Here was good. Although it doesn't have the cultural following like the two books in this thread's title, I'd recommend it to people looking for similarities to the course modern society has taken.

sigpic
          "The true genius shudders at incompleteness - and usually prefers silence to saying
          something which is not everything it should be." Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

Originally posted by SilentSunshine View Post
            It Can't Happen Here was good. Although it doesn't have the cultural following like the two books in this thread's title, I'd recommend it to people looking for similarities to the course modern society has taken.
            Hmm, I've never heard of that book before. I'll have to give it a look, thanks!
            |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
            Irregular since 2007.

Comment

You can give The Unincorporated Man a shot. It's a modern release, but a throwback to the days when sci-fi posed thoughtful questions as opposed to just telling stories (which is fine).

The premise is a future society that incorporates human beings at birth, allowing people to "buy stock" of your theoretical future earnings. Until you earn enough to purchase a majority of yourself, you're basically under the control of your shareholders, who tell you what to eat/drink, where to work, and where to live. This society exists after the "Great Collapse" in which humanity nearly destroyed itself with the advent of virtual reality (the First World stopped giving a crap about anything other than experiencing virtual reality while the Third World starved and killed itself).

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X