Double Standards in Workplace Attire

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double Standards in Workplace Attire

Im writing this post hot on the heels of having been informed by the accountant, not my boss, that we are not allowed to wear shorts on casual Fridays. Apparently the women are now bitter because they were allowed to wear shorts in the past, but some guys complained and it was changed for everyone. I have only been working here for 3 weeks and I was not informed of this rule last Friday when i wore shorts, nor today after talking to my boss for a good 45 minutes.

Now to the actual point of this post, double standards in workplace attire. Businesses attire is typically one of two choices business or business casual, the former requiring a shirt and tie and dress shoes and the latter requiring less formal wear, but still more formal than everday wear (IE no jeans). My problem with this, and no doubt the problem of other guys around here, is what women get away with wearing. As a guy in a business casual setting, i wear khaki's, a pear of nice leather shoes and a short sleeve button down shirt or polo shirt, always tucked in. Now dont get me wrong I dont have anything wrong with this attire, its faily comfortable and does portray some sense of professionalism. My problem is the interpretation of business casual for women. Mini skirts are NOT casual attire, nor are summer skirts, cargo pants, tank tops, belly shirts and any of the other "business casual" attire ive seen in my workdays.

Girls should either have to wear a plain business style skirt that goes to the knees or an actual dress, or khaki pants and a button shirt that is COMPLETELY BUTTONED. And ill agree with anyone that says I dont want short skirts to go anywhere, but when im being forced to suffer in pants during the summer, so shall the females.

This gets me back to my original reason for posting, being told that I cant wear shorts on casual fridays. I mean, if the girls wear mini skirts and lime green cargo pants w. belly shirts every other day of the week, theres no reason I cant wear my nice clean cargo shorts that go down to my knees. Its not like im wearing 70's style gym shorts or something. And to make matters worse no comment was made about me wearing my near 10 year old ball cap in to work today.
    </end rant>

Re: Double Standards in Workplace Attire

Um, are you against Ladies' Nights as well?

Women are different than men, and I'm happy to see when they dress differently too.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

lol tempus...I dont think hes saying he wants to wear skirts...he just wants to be as 'cool'(i dont mean awesome here) as they can be while still providing a professional apperance...I dont see anything wrong with that

It makes me think of the enormous double standard set in the military. oh well...cant complain

Comment

At work, "girls" are called "women" and if you've only been there 3 weeks put on your pants and smile with a big "no problem" on your lips and in your heart. :D

With regard to double standards, this is a cause noble enough to enlist the efforts of the People's Front of Judea, not to be confused with the Judean People's Front. It's every man's right to wear a mini-skirt if he wants.

Comment

1) I dont want to wear womens clothes
          2) Im not against ladies night
          3) Im not some kind of prude that wants women to dress "properly"

All i want is women to dress at the same level of "formality" as men are required to dress at. Im not saying that women cant wear different styles of clothes from men (ie dresses) but that womens clothing should be up to the same level of "formality" as men. A miniskirt that a woman would wear to a bar translates to business casual about as well as a guy wearing shorts to work on a normal day.

Comment

It's the leg hair, man. Tone it down on some of the dudes and I'm sure the office wouldn't have a problem.

In all seriousness, yes its a double standard. But thats life, and you will have to deal with it. Frustrating, unfair...yeah that's pretty much life.

Comment

Hey on average you make more than a woman doing the same job, so cheer up.

Comment

Where I work, the dress code is very lax with women.

Men can wear suits, slacks, or khakis. That's it.

Women can wear pretty much whatever they want, and it isn't unusual to see one of the secretaries wearing some super tight, low cut pant suit, or dress.

God bless 'em. :icon_bigg

Comment

Originally posted by TG_Mateo

Women can wear pretty much whatever they want, and it isn't unusual to see one of the secretaries wearing some super tight, low cut pant suit, or dress.

I have NO problem with women wearing clothes like that in the office, its when i get talked to about wearing shorts on casual day, when theres a woman wearing capris that are the same length as my shorts in the same office.

Comment

Originally posted by leejo
                    Hey on average you make more than a woman doing the same job, so cheer up.
                    No women make less then men on AVERAGE, not at the same job. Im fairly certain there are laws that prevent employers from paying women less than a man doing the same job. That average is skewed by the fact that less women work then men, and more women tend to take low paying or part time jobs due to having children.

Comment

That's how it is at my work and I don't mind a bit...

But I would like to be able to wear shorts to work...
                      Become a supporting member!
                      Buy a Tactical Duck!
                      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by TEMM
                        ... Apparently the women are now bitter because they were allowed to wear shorts in the past, but some guys complained...
                        You should find these guys and steal their staplers or something.
                        Never before in the field of human conflict was so little owed to so few that weighed and drank so much.

Comment

I wear whatever I want to work, whenever I want.
                          Monday, tuesday, doesn't matter.
                          Shorts & a T-shirt, any time.

So how's that for fair? All you poor saps, having jobs with "dress codes". The moral of the story is, life isn't fair so you just gotta learn to deal with it :)

Comment

where i work business casual means i don't have to wear a tie that day....for women, well, i can't tell the difference between when they are dressed casual and when they are not.

oh and Mateo...you Would Not want to see ANY of these women in the outfits you described....lest you go blind!

Dirt013

Nice leejo...i knew i liked your politics...now i know we share a similar sense of humor as well.
                            Dirt013

Comment

Dress codes. They start in grade school (I was not allowed to wear ripped clothing or anything with beer logos on it). They should not carry through for the rest of your life, beyond that of observing good personal hygine and clean clothes.

I worked in .edu (in IT) for several years before going to work for a private company (a big Tier 1 Internet provider, as an engineer). When that company implemented a dress code, followed by uniforms (pick 5 logo shirts from the company store, wear every day), I started looking for another job. I went back to .edu and have never regretted it. Workers are human beings, not "resources."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X