The passing of Steve Jobs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The passing of Steve Jobs

Apple has lost a visionary and a creative genius, and the world has lost an amazing human being.
    http://www.apple.com/stevejobs/

Statement by Apple’s Board of Directors

We are deeply saddened to announce that Steve Jobs passed away today.
    A.E.K.Δ.B.

Re: The passing of Steve Jobs

Would it be wrong of me to suggest that we try to make these jokes about Steve Jobs dying a little more PC?

It's the sandbox, all goes. However, that being said, he was a visionary and a very big deal to the tech world. RIP and my condolences to his family. But lets not paper over all sides to the man. I will quote this:

‎"Steve Jobs, Apple founder, dies." Steal from Xerox, foist proprietary chinese made hardware on the masses, get rich on stocks, give nothing to charity, and die young.

Comment

Condolences to his family and loved ones.
      Respect ? Hmmmm.

|

Comment

See, this is the kind of thing that bugs me, not only from a human standpoint, but from a technological standpoint.

Let me preface this by saying that I hate most things apple. Macs are overpriced, underpowered, hipster-esque garbage as far as I'm concerned. The iPhone, in any of its present incarnations cant hold a candle to any android device on the market (well, the high-end android devices anyway, which are still cheaper than the iphone). The only things apple-based that I use are an ipod and itunes to sync it. The "walled-garden" philosophy and some of the very shady practices apple has pulled with app developers and consumers is garbage, to put it lightly. Just so you know how I feel.

But as far as Steve Jobs? Genius. Pure, unadulterated genius. I'm sorry if you dont agree, but lets take a minute to put things in perspective here:
        -The man took a FAILED product from xerox (legally, I might add) and not only made it profitable, but made it famous.
        -He brought us the advent of a consumer friendly user interface.
        -In the 80s, he FORCED innovation into the computer industry, bringing IBM's chokehold on the computer market to its knees with the apple II line.
        -After he was ousted from apple, the company almost fell apart, and while he was gone, he founded a second computer company that is regarded to have helped shape the gaming console industry through its design and hardware implementation.
        -Also while he was gone, and heres something I bet most of you dont know, he BOUGHT PIXAR from George Lucas because Lucas "didnt see an age of animated film returning any time soon". One of the writers came to him with the idea for Toy Story and he made it the company's top priority. Look at Pixar now as a result of that decision.
        -When he came back to apple in 1996, he rolled out products that literally revolutionized the way the industry works and again forced competition into a stagnant market. The ipod, itunes, iphone, ipad, streaming media services.

So please, have fun disrespecting the man. Here's a guy who spent the last 15 years fighting pancreatic cancer, and yet, in the midst of that rebuilt a company from ashes to the point where they have more cash assets than the US Treasury and were briefly the most profitable company on EARTH. Here's a guy who brought us the first feasible portable music players that could hold more than a single CD's worth of music. Here's a guy who brought tens of thousands of artists together and effectively ended the CD era because you could now buy individual tracks OR entire albums and have them nearly instantaneously. Here's a guy who gave the world its first REAL smartphone, and yes, the iPhone, for all its flaws, was the first true smartphone (REAL internet browsing, REAL applications, TRUE touchscreen capabilities, the list goes on here kids). And the whole time, he was DYING. Slowly, very very painfully, and very much publicly.

So lets see, without those innovations in the last decade and a half, where would we be?
        Android? Nope.
        Pandora/LastFM/Etc? Nope.
        Amazon Music/Etc? Nope.
        I could go on, but I think you get my point.

If you dont, then I apologize, but you're either blind or incapable of understanding basic fact. The man deserves every ounce of respect we can give him. You may not like his products (I dont) and you may not like the way his company does business (again, I dont), but that has nothing to do with the fact that he was truly one of the greatest innovators of our time and ranks amongst the top technological trailblazers of the modern era.

Aside from that, have some freaking respect for the man on the simple fact that he died a slow, agonizing death at the hands of an incurable ailment over the course of almost two decades and finally lost the battle. I sincerely doubt any of us would have held on half that long before we lost hope and let ourselves succumb. He fought it and he kept doing his job until he physically couldnt anymore. That alone merits your respect.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeepo View Post
          Would it be wrong of me to suggest that we try to make these jokes about Steve Jobs dying a little more PC?
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9HRLvfbauA

- I guess Apple kept their thinnest and lightest CEO model on the market a bit too long.
          - I heard the Republicans talking about it all the time but I didn't realize it was true: Obama really was killing Jobs all along!
          - People say that when you're about to die, you see your life go by in a Flash. Not true for Steve, he didn't support Flash.

Comment

Seems Xerox didn't agree with the legality by 1989 Ferris: http://www.nytimes.com/1989/12/15/bu...e+xerox&st=nyt Xerox sold a license to Apple for some stock yes, but when Apple tried to copyright the idea Xerox took exception and felt they deserved a slice of the pie as they were the inventors and Apple only a licensee. A judge threw the case out I'll admit but its obvious the Xerox felt differently, ie. that Apple had taken and used the GUI in a way not originally intended when the licence was drawn up. The technicalities of laws and the personalites of those that enforce and judge their adherence oft lead to decisions going against the victim, in this case Xerox. Xerox felt used by Apple and that they weren't being rewarded (ie. stolen form). In the legal/technical sense you are right Ferris, but practically speaking Apple's Lisa and Macintosh Finder lifted heavily from from Xerox' Star.

You mention interface. To even use a GUI, you need a monitor, keyboard, and mouse. All of which Apple didn't invent.

I don't feel Apple forced any kind of innovation on Microsoft, but I'm at work and don't have time to type any rebuttals on this.

NeXT: Hey at least it used Motorola parts manufactured in the US. Looking at Wiki, it seems Carmack built Wofenstein3d and Doom, two immensely successful games, but meh....successful games had already been developed on other platforms. And Mr $1 per year salary banked a crap ton when he sold NeXT to whom ? Yup Apple.

Pixar. Good job Steve. Believed in it so strongly that he did what ? Sold it to Disney. Mo' Money !

If Im right Cd's orginally held about 70mins of music. I could put a 120min cassette in my Walkman back in the day and beat that. He'd didn't "effectively end the CD era" internet downloading did. What he did do was find a way to monetize the downloads of this music to the benefit of the artists....and Apple. Again....Mo' Money !

Money, Money, Money. THAT is where Steve found his motivations.
            Same and Bill Gates, and Warren Buffet.
            But what did he ever give back to the world as those men have?

Respect ? Meh. Nah.

Edit: Can't speak to the validity of this but take a look : http://allaboutstevejobs.com/being/3-work/3-work.html
            Last edited by Warlab; 10-06-2011, 06:52 PM.

|

Comment

No disrespect intended:

Comment

I own an iphone and i am NOT a hipster, and I am OFFENDED that you would generalize people in that way. (Just joking :D)

But in all seriousness I have respect for the things he and maybe even the people he may or may not have ripped off throughout the course have done. One of the few individuals on the forefront of mobile technology. Sure he may have been an ass, made nothing but dough and never gave any to charity, but because of Apple and Steve Jobs, technology has advanced to a place way beyond imagination of some.

A little over a decade ago your phones looked like this...

And now they look like this...

So sure, maybe he might have taken some ideas from xerox and stepped on a few toes. If you dont like it, you may as well just smash your smartphone on the ground and go pick up one of these badboys.

sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Comment

The PDA (remember those?) and cellphone market were already heading in the direction of modern smartphones. The iPhone happened to score big on a gamble at the right time during this changeover. Apple's "innovation" has always been a lucky and well-timed transition to a fresh market niche, coupled with some of the most brilliant marketing in the consumer technology business.

Home Computers. Graphic art machines (CAD, whatever). MP3 players. Smartphones. Apple did not invent a single one of these devices, it just managed to successfully implement a market plan to fill the niche at the right moment. Every. Single. Time. Apple has been fairly successful at what they do and they deserve acknowledgement for that. But am I going to give them credit where credit isn't due? Hell no.

Also, courtesy of Maddox:

Comment

Originally posted by Flarfignuggen View Post
                    The PDA (remember those?) and cellphone market were already heading in the direction of modern smartphones. The iPhone happened to score big on a gamble at the right time during this changeover. Apple's "innovation" has always been a lucky and well-timed transition to a fresh market niche, coupled with some of the most brilliant marketing in the consumer technology business.

Home Computers. Graphic art machines (CAD, whatever). MP3 players. Smartphones. Apple did not invent a single one of these devices, it just managed to successfully implement a market plan to fill the niche at the right moment. Every. Single. Time. Apple has been fairly successful at what they do and they deserve acknowledgement for that. But am I going to give them credit where credit isn't due? Hell no.
                    Speaking of PDAs, the Apple Newton really was ahead of it's time. But guess what? Apple abandoned it almost immediately, and Handspring and later Palm rose and snapped up that market. Smartphones came from the Palm/Handspring Treo phone/PDA combinations back in 2002 or so. I daresay I'd take a Newton over an iPad anyday, but my Palm Tungsten would get jealous.

I'l gladly take one of those phones, GIJoe. I had a candybar format motorolla as my last cellphone, just 2 years ago. I didn't need to worry about apps needing updating, data plans in addition to my 50 bucks/month unlimited voice/text plan, and since it was an iDEN Nextel phone, excellent instant communication between other walky-talky phones with no extra cost (you could even use that service without a plan, as i found out). iDEN is also the only network that actually gets service out where i live. TMobile gets 0-1 bar, no bars for Verizon, and AT&T won't even give me a phone. Regular Sprint GSM doesn't work. I don't need to faff about with my phone, I just need it to make phonecalls, which it did, spectacularly, with a 5 day standby time and 6 hours of talk time.

Jobs fostered a cult-like mentality with his products. Everything new was incompatible with almost everything old. You needed the newer products because in 2-3 years you wouldn't be able to transfer or get anything to work with people who had newer products. The products were insular as they didn't play nicely with other computer systems, and he stubornly refused to have them be. The new products were hip and trendy, and you "needed" them because they were the newest technology.

He did foster a good collegiate attitude internally in the company in the early days, with only 2 salaries, a creative mindshare type of environment where anyone could come up with ideas. But that seems to have gone by the wayside in order to continue to lock people down in their own products.

Being said, back when he was at NeXT I wanted one of those computers. But 10 grand for a magnesium-alloy Gamecube like corrugated box formfactor (think Cheesegrater G5 powermac design style) was a bit much, especially when they were hard to upgrade.

<04:11:24> *** You are now talking in channel: "TFP - Task Force Proteus"
                    <04:16:25> "|TG-XV| Tralic": this channel is so gay
                    DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Comment

Really people are angry that Apple acted like a business and are accusing Steve Jobs of this? Also why is it a problem when someone who makes a ton of money doesn't give to charity, but it's just fine they don't pay their fair share in taxes? If you're angry at the whole Xerox GUI thing, be mad at the judge who failed to give the decision you wanted most.

Apple did force innovation on the computing world at large. If you have any knowledge on the topic you would know that Microsoft was always working one step behind until Jobs was eventually forced out of the company. Let's all theorize and debate about topics we really don't know the whole story on and claim that Steve Jobs made all of these decisions for only monetary reasons. Now that he's dead it's ample time to crap all over his immense accomplishments and technical prowess. The truth is the world would not be the same without him. Remind me not to invite you guys to my funeral.

Also while we're on the subject of Apple and not really about an important man in history, let's talk about how a Mac is actually a cheaper alternative than the other competing industry standard in video editing, AVID. Let's talk about how design decisions today on both mobile devices and on personal computers have influenced and lead the charge even today. From Android and Windows Mobile being influenced in large by Apple's own iOS to the latest and greatest Operating systems including Windows 7 and now 8 as well as many Linux builds being influenced by Apple's line of Operating Systems. Yes we could talk about that or we could be willfully ignorant and bash the image of a deceased man and his many accomplishments, some more.

Comment

"The truth is the world would not be the same without him."

Yep. Perhaps it would be better.

iTunes/insane control over content published
                        Anti-Competition business practices
                        Sweatshops
                        Deathgrip on hardware and software creating stagnation
                        Skud

Comment

Originally posted by Skud View Post
                          "The truth is the world would not be the same without him."

Yep. Perhaps it would be better.

iTunes/insane control over content published
                          Anti-Competition business practices
                          Sweatshops
                          Deathgrip on hardware and software creating stagnation
                          So lets think about that for a second skud. Between the software/hardware giants, can you name ONE that doesnt engage in the same practices? Microsoft? Google? Intel? IBM? Oh, they ALL do. But, it must be OK because Bill Gates gives tens of millions to charity and Google started out as the underdog and rose to the top.

Like I said previously, I loathe most apple products and their business practices. That being said, people can surely say that the phone market was already headed that direction, but was it? The treo was an utter failure in any arena other than the business market and even then was overshadowed by other superior devices. Hell, for every one person I knew at that point in time who owned a treo (or any kind of PDA for that matter), I could name at least 10 that owned a motorola RAZR. Then came the iphone. Sure, the technology wasnt anything to really marvel at, but it was presented in such a fashion that the everyday consumer would be drawn to it. Shortly after, we had android and then blackberry started making full touchscreen phones. Google has even admitted that the iphone was the catalyst for the major push to develop android as a platform.

So sure, apple did some shady stuff and didnt "invent" any of the products they put to market. But the timing and the way they presented them forced the market forward and gave rise to competition. Competition breeds innovation.

So sure, disagree with it all you want, but I can tell you this: when people the world over who are MUCH smarter than any of us in this forum are praising the man for his achievements, they might just have some merit.

Comment

Did I say others were immune? No. It is simply my own opinion that Apple is the worst of the bunch.

So the President says Steve Jobs was a great guy, and I should just agree with that? No.

Facts do not make me respect a man. Sorry.
                            Skud

Comment

@ Sirusblk

Investment income is taxed at a lower rate than actual income. Its legal for Jobs to do what he did to sidestep taxes that way, but that doesn't make it right in my opinion. He didnt give back to this country in the same way Gate/Buffet have with their charity.

Microsoft behind Apple till jobs left ? If you refer to hardware then might you might mention that for the most part, MS didn't make hardware back then. Your omission totally undoes your supposed statement of fact. I doubt I'll come to your funeral sir, as I'll most likely be long dead if we both live to our average life expectancies.

In your last paragraph your facts are so skewed I'm not sure which one to correct you on, so I'll just not waste both our time other than to correct the following one.

How about something simple that you could have looked up yourself..... iOS released in 2007, Windows Mobile in 2000.

Also note I purchased an Apple IIc in the summer of 1984. I ditched it in early 1985 for an 80286. Um, I could kind of see where the future was going ;)

|

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X