Freedoms Lost Under George W. Bush

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freedoms Lost Under George W. Bush

Following are examples of freedoms which President Bush and his fellow Republicans in Congress have already expunged (as reported by the Associated Press):

* FREEDOM OF ASSOCIATION: Government may monitor religious and political institutions even if no criminal activity is suspected.

* FREEDOM OF INFORMATION: Government has closed once-public immigration hearings, has secretly detained hundreds of people without charges, and has encouraged bureaucrats to resist public records questions.

* FREEDOM OF SPEECH: Government may prosecute librarians or keepers of any other records if they tell anyone that the government subpoenaed information related to a terror investigation.

* RIGHT TO LEGAL REPRESENTATION: Government may monitor federal prison jailhouse conversations between attorneys and clients, and deny lawyers to Americans accused of crimes.

* FREEDOM FROM UNREASONABLE SEARCHES: Government may search and seize Americans' papers and effects without probable cause.

* RIGHT TO A SPEEDY AND PUBLIC TRIAL: Government may jail Americans indefinitely without a trial.

* RIGHT TO LIBERTY: Americans may be jailed without being charged or being able to confront witnesses against them.

You have been reading excerpts from "Freedoms Lost Under George W. Bush", by Chuck Baldwin. For more information, please visit Chuck's website at chuckbaldwinlive.com.

Are you tired of shouting? Let's start whispering!! Copy this message and leave copies in public places. Mail or Fax copies to your 'elected' representatives. Tell them we're not gonna take it anymore. Mail or Fax copies to your local media. Tell them we'll do their job if they won't. Join the Velvet Revolution at VelvetRevolution.US. This message has been brought to you by The Whispering Campaign. Visit us at psstpsstpsst.blogspot.com.
    But your flag decal won't get you into heaven anymore.
    We're already overcrowded from your dirty little war.

- John Prine, 1969

Re: Freedoms Lost Under George W. Bush

Isn't this all stuff from the Patriot Act? The one that passed 98-1-1 in the Senate?

Damn that Bush and the Republicans. Here are some other people who voted for it.

Akaka (D-HI), Yea
    Baucus (D-MT), Yea
    Bayh (D-IN), Yea
    Biden (D-DE), Yea
    Bingaman (D-NM), Yea
    Boxer (D-CA), Yea
    Breaux (D-LA), Yea
    Byrd (D-WV), Yea
    Cantwell (D-WA), Yea
    Carnahan (D-MO), Yea
    Carper (D-DE), Yea
    Cleland (D-GA), Yea
    Clinton (D-NY), Yea
    Conrad (D-ND), Yea
    Corzine (D-NJ), Yea
    Daschle (D-SD), Yea
    Dayton (D-MN), Yea
    Dodd (D-CT), Yea
    Dorgan (D-ND), Yea
    Durbin (D-IL), Yea
    Edwards (D-NC), Yea
    Feinstein (D-CA), Yea
    Graham (D-FL), Yea
    Harkin (D-IA), Yea
    Hollings (D-SC), Yea
    Inouye (D-HI), Yea
    Jeffords (I-VT), Yea
    Johnson (D-SD), Yea
    Kennedy (D-MA), Yea
    Kerry (D-MA), Yea
    Kohl (D-WI), Yea
    Leahy (D-VT), Yea
    Levin (D-MI), Yea
    Lieberman (D-CT), Yea
    Lincoln (D-AR), Yea
    Mikulski (D-MD), Yea
    Miller (D-GA), Yea
    Murray (D-WA), Yea
    Nelson (D-FL), Yea
    Nelson (D-NE), Yea
    Reed (D-RI), Yea
    Reid (D-NV), Yea
    Rockefeller (D-WV), Yea
    Sarbanes (D-MD), Yea
    Schumer (D-NY), Yea
    Stabenow (D-MI), Yea
    Torricelli (D-NJ), Yea
    Wellstone (D-MN), Yea
    Wyden (D-OR), Yea

Hmmm. That's pretty much all of them. I guess you can count on Landrieu, who boldly didn't vote, and Feingold, who voted nay, to represent the silent moderate majority and protect your civil liberties from Bush.

Comment

was that saracsm becuase if it was HAHAH!
      that sounds like a good idea trooper.
      -Vulcan

Comment

no, it wasn't sarcasm at all

And what part of Austin you in Leejo?
        [age-c1] [gchq-c1] [air2] [tog-c1][tpf-c1]
        [tg-c1]<victory

Comment

This doesn't really suprise me because my senator, Chuck Schumer has always been a crappy senator :(

Comment

You guys do know that they renewed the patriot act Indeffinantly, right?
            a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
            Celibacy is not Hereditary.
            Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
            Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
            Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Originally posted by leejo
              Isn't this all stuff from the Patriot Act? The one that passed 98-1-1 in the Senate?

Damn that Bush and the Republicans. Here are some other people who voted for it.
              Hmmm. That's pretty much all of them. I guess you can count on Landrieu, who boldly didn't vote, and Feingold, who voted nay, to represent the silent moderate majority and protect your civil liberties from Bush.
              Were you also aware that they passed a different bill? They passed a much milder and MUCH less freedom killing version. Then it was massively revised. Most of the senators assumed that the revision was minor, and passed it again without reading it. Thats the version that we have now.

So actually, in a way, they didnt pass this bill. Or at least, they werent informed enough to pass it wisely.

Comment

Originally posted by Karkianman101
                So actually, in a way, they didnt pass this bill. Or at least, they werent informed enough to pass it wisely.
                That had to be one of the worst excuses I've ever heard.
                [age-c1] [gchq-c1] [air2] [tog-c1][tpf-c1]
                [tg-c1]<victory

Comment

What? They didnt read the Patriot Act that is currently in use. They read a much less controversial and a much less anti-constitutional and anti-american version of it.

And how is it an excuse?

Comment

Originally posted by Karkianman101
                    What? They didnt read the Patriot Act that is currently in use. They read a much less controversial and a much less anti-constitutional and anti-american version of it.

And how is it an excuse?
                    They passed it, didn't they?
                    Become a supporting member!
                    Buy a Tactical Duck!
                    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

So wait a minute. You're telling me that the people who voted for it never took the needed time to read the bill, and yet just went ahead and voted for it? How on earth is that Bush's responsibility? I mean, cmon now. If a Senator cannot be bothered to actually READ the bill he's signing, what kind of Senator is that? And at what point did the burden of responsibility for those decisions switch from the people who actually voted to the President?

It is the responsibility of our Senators to be informed and educated on what they are voting for. Let's put the burden of responsibility where it belongs.

Comment

Originally posted by mightyfee
                        * FREEDOM OF ASSOCIATION: Government may monitor religious and political institutions even if no criminal activity is suspected.
                        If I was to start my own radical religion, how would you know when to start paying attention? Without the patriot act, probably AFTER my radical actions.

* FREEDOM OF SPEECH: Government may prosecute librarians or keepers of any other records if they tell anyone that the government subpoenaed information related to a terror investigation.
                        If the government asks you to keep a secret, to ensure that a terror investigation is successful, you should have no objection.

* RIGHT TO LEGAL REPRESENTATION: Government may monitor federal prison jailhouse conversations between attorneys and clients, and deny lawyers to Americans accused of crimes.
                        I'm assuming that these crimes are not your every day murder, rape, drug, etc... crimes. These crimes are crimes against the public. Terror crimes. If you can learn more information by listening to these conversations that might stop future attacks, then great. If youíre innocent, than why is there a problem with ANYONE listening to your conversation.

* FREEDOM FROM UNREASONABLE SEARCHES: Government may search and seize Americans' papers and effects without probable cause.
                        Again, for the protection of the American Public. They cant just come right in, take my papers, and leave. They've got to have good reason. Again, if there's nothing to hid, then why is this a problem?

* RIGHT TO A SPEEDY AND PUBLIC TRIAL: Government may jail Americans indefinitely without a trial.
                        Now this, I donít agree with UNLESS the person has been deemed an immediate threat to National Security, or the American Public.

* RIGHT TO LIBERTY: Americans may be jailed without being charged or being able to confront witnesses against them.
                        Are you tired of shouting? Let's start whispering!! Copy this message and leave copies in public places. Mail or Fax copies to your 'elected' representatives. Tell them we're not going to take it anymore. Mail or Fax copies to your local media. Tell them we'll do their job if they won't. Join the Velvet Revolution at VelvetRevolution.US. This message has been brought to you by The Whispering Campaign. Visit us at psstpsstpsst.blogspot.com.
                        I havenít shouted. I will not. I donít agree with your views, and this propaganda. I know that none of the listed rights above of mine will ever be violated. How? Because I wont ever violate another person, or persons rights. If you have nothing to hide, and you do nothing wrong, than the powers given by the patriot act should not bother you.
                        birdie_in_Texas:ok..i feel stupid here..what is "NS"..? Wyzcrak:Natural Selection. Don't feel at a loss for not knowing the acronym. Feel at a loss for not having experienced the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Wuss
                          some stuff
                          Everything you said Wuss forgoes a couple of important facts.
                          • Most Patriot Act provisions do not conduct themselves openly. Thus, when you state "They cant just come right in, take my papers, and leave. They've got to have good reason.", you are missing a key point; The "good reason" need only be proven to single judge in chambers and is not a matter of public record. The net effect of this is that officers CAN come in, take papers, and leave, as their "good reason" is sealed up behind the Patriot Act.
                          • "Again, if there's nothing to hid, then why is this a problem?" This line of reasoning presupposes that anything worth hiding is illegal, which it may not be. There may be details about your past or present life that you simply don't want people prying into -- perfectly legal things that you'd simply rather not share with the world.
                          • Similarly, "If youíre innocent, than why is there a problem with ANYONE listening to your conversation."... Because you don't have to; you have a RIGHT to an attorney. Even innocent people get attorneys to make sure that they don't end up confessing for a crime they didn't commit by saying the wrong thing in the wrong context.
                          • "If I was to start my own radical religion, how would you know when to start paying attention? Without the patriot act, probably AFTER my radical actions." We'd regularly paid attention to radical people and groups before the Patriot Act. There's no reason to expect that some won't slip through the cracks now like they did pre-PA.
                          • You do a whole lot of "to protect the American Public" rhetoric, and that's WAY too broad a notion to try to saddle with an anti-terrorism act. Yes, terrorism bad, I get that, but it's equally bad (if not moreso) to take the values that we have as a nation and stomp all over them in the name of "protection".

While we're at this, can someone explain to me how it is that the philosophical side of government that's usually interested in tearing down "big government" and in "ending federal bloat" and the like is possibly for this anti-terrorism act?
                          [volun2]
                          NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
                          Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
                          <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
                          <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

I'm curous... and be honest here... instead of just putting something you read here against our current president and the way things are today....

Can ANY American, that visits or post in this forum... reply if they have had any violations of there rights because of these "freedoms" that were removed... and then, your story, if willing to share...

(and I'm not talking about some local police officer stopping you or pulling you over for some ticket you don't think you deserve... I'm talking one of the many freedoms the main topic poster says has been removed.)

I know I haven't been effected, or anyone I know, one bit... and I do know that our government, which so many posters here think so little of, have done alot with those new investigative tools to stop and break up terrorist and criminal plans here. So, I wonder... what freedoms have YOU lost?

(just food for thought.)
                            Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

Comment

Originally posted by Magnum50
                              I know I haven't been effected, or anyone I know, one bit... and I do know that our government, which so many posters here think so little of, have done alot with those new investigative tools to stop and break up terrorist and criminal plans here. So, I wonder... what freedoms have YOU lost?

(just food for thought.)
                              Well said. +Rep.
                              birdie_in_Texas:ok..i feel stupid here..what is "NS"..? Wyzcrak:Natural Selection. Don't feel at a loss for not knowing the acronym. Feel at a loss for not having experienced the game.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X