Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The idiocy scares me

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/fun.gam....ap/index.html

Hidden sex scene scandal aside, this is just stupid, and another example of bad parenting leading to problems. Or in this case, bad grandparenting.

What's next? Does she sue the highway department because she ignores a sign that says "Bridge Out" and wrecks her car? I hope her lawsuit falls flat on its face, and that she gets a swift kick in the rear on her way out the courtroom door.
    [squadl]
    "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Re: The idiocy scares me

lol, Wyzcrak posted this elsewhere and I'm in complete agreement: This woman was okay with her son/grandson playing a game in which he can steal and murder, but consensual sex in a video is crossing a line? Not to mention, how could he have gotten into the sex scenes if she took it from him so long ago? I thought this stuff was only recently unlocked, shouldn't he have been banned at the time? Or was she not doing her job as well, ball dropped on both sides, but in cases like this all the time the ultimate responsibility is on the shoulders of the parents.

Comment

I don't see it that way. Here's another scenario: grandma buys game for kid. Grandma sees that the rating has changed and takes game back from grandson. Grandma calls up Rockstar and demands a refund. They refuse. They get a nastygram from her lawyer. They ignore it.

OK a-hole. The price of playing poker just went way up. They could have said "sorry", sent her the refund, and taken their medicine.

I don't know if that's how it happened, but it's a scenario I can imagine from reading the article.

This will be settled WAY before any court dates. If I'm Rockstar's lawyer, I'm telling them they can either write a check for ...$100k sounds about right, or they can lose $2M in a settlement and the fees I'm going to have to charge them. My advice is settle.

In any case, the article says Wal*Mart, Target, and Best Buy have pulled the game? Ouch. That's gonna cost someone their quarterly bonus.

Comment

Another short interesting article about this:
        http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...143.html?92797

Two quotes I find interesting:
        "We can ask all kinds of sociology questions about what kind of society we live in when simulated violence is so welcome but sex isn't, but when we get back to Realpolitik, we see that she has a case."

"The big question on my mind is whether or not a civil court will consider the simulated, interactive sex minigame as part of the game or not, given the need to modify the game to get to the game's hidden content. "

Comment

Every dime Rockstar spends on this game now is money down the toilet. While many gamers will continue to buy it, Wal*Mart, Target, and Best Buy are pretty much over them I'd guess and won't be stocking that game again. That's a kick in the nuts for their margin.

That's why I think they'll settle and fast. If they still had their distribution partners working with them, then maybe they fight it. I also think they will be well-served by adopting a policy of refunding money when someone's grandmother calls them up. They are getting an advanced course on public relations right now.

Comment

Originally posted by leejo
            I don't see it that way. Here's another scenario: grandma buys game for kid. Grandma sees that the rating has changed and takes game back from grandson. Grandma calls up Rockstar and demands a refund. They refuse. They get a nastygram from her lawyer. They ignore it.
            The game was rated for ages 17+.
            Grandma buys the game for a 14 year old.
            The game then got rated for age 18+.
            The kid is still 14.

Where in there should she get complaining rights? Under both the new and old rating, the kid should never have been playing the game in the first place.

It's like a parent taking a 5 year old to an R movie that later gets moved to NC-17, then complaining that the movie isn't suitable for a 5 year old under the new rating. Guess what, it wasn't suitable before either!
            [squadl]
            "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

Originally posted by leejo
              Every dime Rockstar spends on this game now is money down the toilet. While many gamers will continue to buy it, Wal*Mart, Target, and Best Buy are pretty much over them I'd guess and won't be stocking that game again. That's a kick in the nuts for their margin.
              It wouldn't surprise me if sales of the game skyrocket due to the recent publicity...
              Become a supporting member!
              Buy a Tactical Duck!
              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

That would be rather sad, actually.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed