Energy and Material based currency

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Energy and Material based currency

Do you think a world economy based on Energy and raw Materials would work rather than a paper or coin currency based on what ever standard?

Re: Energy and Material based currency

The Venus Project advocates a resource-based economy. It's quite an interesting concept.

TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran

Comment

From what I've read, the Venus Project thinks computers will make all the right resource allocation decisions. We just have to look at Wall Street to see how well that works.
      Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I, for one, would like to trade two pigs and a chicken for a new couch.

Comment

Slight necromancy here... apparently the British penny coin is worth more in metal than it is in currency.

Pepper

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." David Hackworth

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penny_(..._decimal_coin)

Soaring copper prices in the mid-2000s caused the value of the copper in the pre-1992 coins (which are 97% copper) to exceed the coins' face value. For example, in May 2006, the intrinsic metal value of a pre-1992 1p coin was about 1.5 pence.[6] During 2008, the value of copper fell dramatically from these peaks.[7]

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Here's a site that pretends that milligrams of gold is a currency, and then graphs the price of many commodities (including the US dollar) in terms of milligrams of gold. (For some reason the site is quite slow today, so wait awhile to let pages load.)

http://pricedingold.com/

Here's the page showing the dramatic drop in the value of the dollar, losing 80% of its value since 1971:

http://pricedingold.com/us-dollar/

Comment

[duplicate post]

Comment

Currency, energy, commodities... they're all just means means of exchange.

Some people say paper is worthless and only gold and silver have value. Others are proponents of an energy or commodity based system. Really, what does it matter as long as each party gets something that is valuable to them in an exchange? Currency is really just a medium of exchange that is easier to carry around than the items/things/whatever that a person really values more. I might be a collector of whippets, I prize them above all things. Another person might value bronze busts of Caesar. It's more convenient to use currency as a medium of exchange than to lug my busts of Caesar to a market and exchange them for whippets. Yes, that is oversimplifying things.

I think I'm more concerned about individuals who try to impose systems that enforce their ideals of what has value and what does not. Fiat or not, a currency only has value when the people who use it believe in the value of it.

"Everytime I read your posts I do it with Morgan Freeman's voice in my head as if he is narrating your life" - Aimed

Comment

Indeed, two traders should be free to choose the currency they're willing to accept. They shouldn't be forced to use a currency that's being deliberately debased to sleaze out of one's debt obligations (as is done with the dollar by the Federal Reserve). We need to rescind the legal tender laws that force traders to use the dollar when they could instead use another currency that retains its value over time.

When one hears someone call for a "gold standard", don't assume that he literally means the use of gold. Any commodity that can't be counterfeited (as the Fed does) should be acceptable.

Comment

I disagree, the federal dollar should be forced as an acceptable currency in it's own country. Any other acceptable payment between those two parties is fair game. If my friend wants to give me a chicken for roofing his house and I agree that's our business and acceptable. However if I run a business and don't want to accept the dollar that's not reasonable or fair. If I own a business I must accept the dollar since it is a means of currency that is recognized by both the feds, state, business and citizens.

As for the politics behind the value of the dollar, write your congress person. The congressional branch of government has been screwing over the american populace for a long time. However the ability to actually print more money or take more out of circulation is incredibly useful in many economic situations.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X