Cops and guns

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cops and guns

Interesting talk by self defense expert Jeff Cooper at the 15th Annual Meeting of the Doctors for Disaster Preparedness held in San Diego, California, June 1997.

Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Re: Cops and guns

Jeff Cooper is one of the only guys who really perfected the technique of pistol shooting. Good guy.

the biggest thing with regards to using firearms as self defense isn't how quickly you can reload, how quickly you can access your weapon, or any of those more procedural or technical aspects. 90% of defensive shooting is in the mindset.

When I train for competition shooting, I often try to incorporate exercises that will stress my body and mind to see how I react under those circumstances. Some people when they get into a serious situation like that just fall apart. They freeze. They don't know what to do. Other people who are more trained instead slow down time a bit for themselves and get their adrenaline to focus on the task at hand.

Obviously getting shot at will test that, but to artificially test it, a lot of the time I'll sprint for a while until my heart is beating in my ears and my muscles are a little wobbly, then I'll shoot my stage. It adds a bit of difficulty, but more important it helps me understand my own body and how it will reat under stressful environments.

Comment

In my law enforcement training we were told(and I believe it though how/where you would get such a statistic is beyond me)

that the biggest reason people have for losing a gun shoot out, right after someone completely getting the drop on you and having zero chance to fight back, is that the person didn't decide long before that moment..that they would kill another human being to save themselves or someone else. The time to make that decision, to work through your moral thinking on the issue, is not the split second before you need to pull the trigger, its months and years before you need to. So that when the time comes, the only thought in your head is "Squeeze"

Fate whispers to the warrior "You will not survive the storm."
      The warrior whispers back, "I AM the storm."

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Darwin View Post
        In my law enforcement training we were told(and I believe it though how/where you would get such a statistic is beyond me)

that the biggest reason people have for losing a gun shoot out, right after someone completely getting the drop on you and having zero chance to fight back, is that the person didn't decide long before that moment..that they would kill another human being to save themselves or someone else. The time to make that decision, to work through your moral thinking on the issue, is not the split second before you need to pull the trigger, its months and years before you need to. So that when the time comes, the only thought in your head is "Squeeze"
        Exactly, practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice and............................................PRA CTICE!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X