Kids these days...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kids these days...

Someone on FB posted this video of a dad who caught his daughter posting rants about him and his wife. Best part is the punishment!
    sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Re: Kids these days...

Damn, I want him to upgrade my computer!
    And I'm sorry about your daughter, if you see this.
    And AWESOME he's got a Colt 1911!

|TG-Irr| sushi-sacha111

'A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.'
    Winston Churchill

sigpicBasic Inf Project Reality BF2 Basic Tanking WoT

Comment

That was awesome
      sigpic

Former Pathfinder
      Former ARMA Admin
      Former ARMA TGU instructor
      Former TGU Headmaster
      Current Noob
      Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Comment

That was great. Facebook parenting at its best. If only more parents knew what their kids were really putting out there.
        sigpic

Comment

That's one of the dumbest things I've ever seen. Aside from anything else ("I'd screwed up my life by the time I was your age so I'm gonna make damn sure you hate yours too!"), why shoot the laptop, instead of, you know, selling it?
          |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
          Irregular since 2007.

Comment

He shot the laptop to make a point, and the point was well made. The point was probably worth the value of the laptop in his mind.

"Everytime I read your posts I do it with Morgan Freeman's voice in my head as if he is narrating your life" - Aimed

Comment

Amazing parenting. I always make sure to keep my FB clean for employers etc, however if one day my kids decide to post crap like that this could serve as an excellent example.

Note: He has also used the popularity of the viral video to raise thousands for an MDA charity; props to him.
              Last edited by MacLeod; 02-11-2012, 06:34 PM.

Former TG-21st
              Swift Mobile On Target

Comment

Originally posted by westyfield View Post
                That's one of the dumbest things I've ever seen. Aside from anything else ("I'd screwed up my life by the time I was your age so I'm gonna make damn sure you hate yours too!"), why shoot the laptop, instead of, you know, selling it?
                I'm agreeing with Westyfield. Why not sell it? If you want to record a video that your daughter as you claim won't probably see instead of actually confronting them, why not just record you selling it at the very least? If you're grounding her, why are you also upgrading her computer? As a parent he's sending mixed signals. He's concerned about the money spent on software for the computer but is willing to blow another $100+ on shooting up the laptop? What point is better proven by shooting up a laptop rather than selling it? She might not be a very respectful daughter but he's not being exactly a great parent either. I don't mind the thought of making a public video in response, I think it's a clever idea, just poorly executed.

Comment

Symbolism. That shot up laptop is so much more valuable as a symbol than a coupla bucks in his wallet. Now I woulda rather he had that thing lined up with a berm behind it and done some target practice rather than shooting at his feet like that. Some may argue, but I don't consider that the safest way to shoot.
                  sigpic

Comment

I dont suppose many would understand unless you have kids. I dont have kids, if I did..well then id be a teen dad. But having a 15 year old sister I can tell you right now that just grounding and taking away their possessions doesnt work. Ive seen it tried a million times with my parents. They take it away, play tough for a little while then give it back and it happens again. I dont mean to be sexist at all but teenage girls just dont get it. They are completely brain dead morons (at times) and no matter how many times you try to drill in into their brains they just dont get it.

Blastin a cap in that laptops arse is a surefire way of making sure she DOESNT get it back after a few weeks. Shows that if you are gonna be like that, that real consequences will happen. Not just empty threats. I know it would work on me, if i was still young enough to be grounded.
                    sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

Comment

as far as posting it in a way that she can't see it (the daughter) is also to show other kids how a parents react to post like this, he told us about it, he even said he knew she might not be able to see it and was expecting it
                      |TG-18th|Markolh (Just call me Mark)
                      BF Admin & Crazy French-canadian
                      Former Irr, 11th and 31st

"He who wants peace, prepares WAR"

Comment

He really seems to be over reacting to a teenage girl talking trash on the internet to her friends. Not even ranting and swearing and all that noise. This guy just seems silly.

Comment

Symbolism isn't worth crap if it's undermining your entire argument about the importance of money. Again what does shooting a laptop provide that selling it does not? All teenagers are stupid. You know what? It's a phase, they get pissy, they grow up, and they get over it. She happened to vent to her friends. Shooting a $1000+ machine seems appropriate for an angry rant online?

I'll tell you what, if my daughter ever wrote such hateful things about me maybe I would reevaluate my actions as a parent allowing it to progress to such a point. Grounded, but allowed to post to facebook. Punished but still upgrading her laptop for her with your money. Concerned with money, but willing to pay $100+ in shooting the laptop with special ammunition plus the $100 you just spent upgrading the laptop. Angry about disrespect rant thus decides to post his own in response. The guy is full of contradictory ideas so which side does he support?

Had I as a parent grounded her, I can sure as hell tell you I wouldn't be upgrading her laptop during that time. I wouldn't allow her to be using facebook during this time. I would actually confront her about her issues instead of resorting to a video, as he put it, "she may never see". Shooting a laptop and posting a public video doesn't do jack in teaching your kid a lesson. If he's doing it to teach others to be better parents he's failing. It's amusing as a viral video but zero redeeming value in the parenting department.

Comment

This is the age of reality shows, Dr Phil, Dancing with the stars and Jersey Shores. The internet is serious business yall. I know I believe everything I read , see and hear. All I can say is you without kids especially teen aged kids, have no skin in the game. Just hold those thoughts on parenting until you do.

Comment

He said he had grounded her earlier, not that she was grounded at the time. And although he did point out the money, I think it was more about the work required to make that money, not the money itself.

That video if posted on her profile will for sure reach her, at school or at a friend's, every single kid in her town will be talking about it.

Overall, maybe slightly extreme but screw it, its one was to make a hell of a statement that's not going to be forgotton after a few weeks.
                              |TG-69th|chrisweb89

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X