Thoughts on the "Kony 2012 Campaign"?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on the "Kony 2012 Campaign"?

This is something that's really blown up the last couple of years. What started out originally as a documentary called "Invisible Children" on child soldiers had become a global pursuit to put an end to Joseph Kony's 20+ year reign of terror on people throughout Uganda, Sudan and the Congo. Im sure lots of you here are well aware of who he is and what he's done. Its definitely beyond describable, the atrocities he has committed.

So basically the plan is to go out on the eve of April 20th, 2012 and post up hundreds of thousands of posters, flyers, banners etc in the streets of hundreds of cities across the world. The leaders of this organization want to make every soul on the plant aware of Joseph Kony's crimes and pressure governments into taking action. The U.S. recently sent 100 American troops to be advisers to the Ugandan army to provide training. The Kony 2012 project aims to have other countries across the world do the same, whether it be by putting boots on soil or providing the training and technology to track Kony down.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/kony2012/watch_the_movie.html

That is their website with a 30 minute long video providing some background and a more detailed description of the plan.

Almost every one of my friends on facebook is pledging to take part in the poster plan on April 20th and I figured I may as well too because whats one evening of my life? I can spare a few hours to do my part in a change that will benefit millions of helpless people. Only thing is though is that Im slightly skeptical.

Joseph Kony has been around for a long long time and no one has caught him. I realize that before not a lot of people knew who he was or that there was even any kind of conflict in Africa like this. Id like to believe that with the power of possibly millions of people demanding that justice is served will be served, but something inside me feels like its just a lost cause. That's probably not a good feeling and I oughta tell it to shut up but I don't know. It doesn't really effect me in any way which is probably a lot of the part in me that feels like its a lost cause. Either way, I'm going to help bring to light Joseph Kony in what little ways I can.

Im not going to ask or try to convince anyone here to pledge their time as well but like I said, whats a few hours of our time?

What do you guys figure?
    sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Intel i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GTX 570 1gb, OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig SSD

we posted the same thing in different threads almost identically. I just emailed the biggest TV station in Australia about 20 mins ago and got a response in under 2 mins.pretty amazing seeing as its 18:20 here and after most work hours for a publicist.

The reply,

"Weekend Sunrise will be adopting the Kony2012 campaign BIG time from this Sunday.

Should also encourage people to show their support by being outside the Channel Seven studio in Martin Place Sydney from 8:30am on Sunday.

Regards, Adam Boland Weekend Sunrise"

It seems this is something that is going to be huge.
    Everyone said we'd never get bin laden. No one is untouchable.
    sigpic

Former Pathfinder
    Former ARMA Admin
    Former ARMA TGU instructor
    Former TGU Headmaster
    Current Noob
    Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Comment

Re: Thoughts on the "Kony 2012 Campaign"?

Bolagnaise...I actually just laughed out loud when I saw you made an identical thread not 5 min after me. Its slightly reassuring that this movement has made its way across the globe. If he can be caught that would be a huge global moral boost for the "power of the people" beliefs. "If someone as notorious as Kony can be caught, who knows what could be achieved?" is what a successful campaign will say to people everywhere.
      sigpic

Do you really want invincible bears running around raping your churches and burning your women?

Comment

Facebook is going crazy at the moment about this. I posted the YouTube video about an hour ago and there are a lot of people I know talking about it.
        sigpic

Former Pathfinder
        Former ARMA Admin
        Former ARMA TGU instructor
        Former TGU Headmaster
        Current Noob
        Im also pretty bad at World of Tanks -

Comment

Thanks for putting this up guys, found bolangaise thread first and posted there. Found out about this on Battlelog from a friend posting it up in the forums. If it hitting there now too they are really getting saturation on the social media side. Good to hear that media outlets are taking this seriously as well. I hope that over here in Canada the news media picks it up like it has down under.
          sigpic

Comment

Watched the video earlier today, it was well done and inspiring, however there seems to be some factual errors.

I read this thread on reddit just now.

http://www.reddit.com/r/DAE/comments...picious_about/

Either way, no child should have to experience what many of these poor children have suffered through.
            "Nemo Saltat Sobrius, Nisi Forte Insanit"

Comment

Followed this link Lien posted. Reddit is it's usual flood of opinions to dig through. Whether the Invisible Children organization is legit or any of the other stuff that follows charities these days.....well I don't think that really matters compared to the message that I saw being put across. What I got from watching the video was: Let everyone know who Kony is, bring him to justice for what he has done regardless of where he is. Nobody should have to go through what those kids have.
              sigpic

Comment

Yeah, there are some problems with the Invisible Children group (e.g. shady auditing, support of US military intervention, supporting the Ugandan military) that would make me hesitant to support them financially. However, informing people about who Kony is and what he's done is something I can get behind. My friends and I were pretty appalled when some people from Invisible Children came into our school years ago and told us what was going on. The more people who know, the better.
                Last edited by westyfield; 03-07-2012, 07:38 PM.
                |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
                Irregular since 2007.

Comment

It is sad that people are only just now finding out about him as he has been around for years, and there are many others just like him still out and about. It is appalling how uninformed people are about their own damn world and society.

Do not get me wrong however as Kony is a very, very bad man, and he deserves this publicity; yet there are others who need it as well.

And about Invisible Children, here is a post from a friend of mine attending princeton currently:
                  --> This is not going to be a very popular opinion, but the thing the that I don't get about Invisible Children is why so much of their budget is dedicated to sending privileged American young adults to Africa so they can feel a little bit better about themselves as human beings (http://www.charitynavigator.org/inde...ry&orgid=12429 )

If this was any less potent, less popular nonprofit, I feel like they'd be under way more criticism than I've seen. Look at the numbers. Depending on the source, a VERY VERY VERY small amount of each donated dollar actually directly benefits the children of Uganda. (The statistics vary by where on the internet they can be found, but the official report is here: http://c2052482.r82.cf0.rackcdn.com/...pdf?1320205055 )

That being said, I'm all for well-intentioned efforts to end violence and such, which is why I'm not anti-Invisible Children. I also really like youth movements/the sense of banding together to fight an evil. But with 32% making it to direct services, and even less to the children themselves, while the other 68% is spent on staff salaries and funding travel for those people who win those awards who could probably afford the trip themselves anyway...

... I'm just disappointed that the money that I have donated thus far seems to be used to rewarding the privileged, not-in-danger-American-youth who seem to care, rather than benefiting the children in real danger, and who are really suffering.

As for marketing: bravo to Invisible Children for appealing to exactly what everybody wants, being a bite sized, film presented version of the atrocity happening in Africa. Our society has a short attention span as is, and STOP KONY 2012 really has seemed to use that to its advantage to direct us to something that really does need to be changed.
                  Invisible Children
                  www.charitynavigator.org

Former TG-21st
                  Swift Mobile On Target

Comment

They can have my support, but not my money. Partially because I'm still slightly suspicious, but mainly because I'm a poor student and need to be able to eat.

Pepper

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." David Hackworth

Comment

My friend posted this link on his Facebook wall in response to the people flooding their posts about KONY 2012

http://visiblechildren.tumblr.com/po...we-got-trouble

While, Joseph Kony is a monster of a human being, I can't take Invisible Children seriously after reading that link.

Comment

I say we send enlist General Butt Naked and send him on the hunt. That way we don't have to worry about it. He'll get the job done, I assure you all.

The core problem with this stupid fad is that most of the people I've seen "sharing" it on Facebook cannot point Uganda out on a map. At all.

There's "activism" for you!
                        Skud

Comment

Exactly Skud. People dont even have any idea what this is all about besides what the movies tell them its about. Thats why in my original post i was weary of this organization. And after a few days of research I was right to have an off feeling about these guys. They are pushing for a good cause, they are just going about it the wrong way.

That write up Flip posted pretty much sums it up really. Thank you for posting that, now I can have a defense when bombarded by people asking me why Im such a bastard for not supporting the African children.
                          sigpic

Comment

There is an undercurrent that is kinda creepy. This man actually has christian supporters, hoping he will create a Christian Theocracy. These same people when confronted with the atrocities claim propaganda or dismiss it as the results of the 20 years of war, never facing the truth about this guy.
                            sigpic

Comment

Slacktivism at its finest.

Africa has been and always will be perpetually screwed up. I can't seem to care about that continent when we have third-world conditions right here in America.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X